• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mary Lou says government can cut huge HSE pensions.

seth lord

In todays Irish Independent it is reported that more than 128 former HSE workers are on pensions > €100,000 PA.
In the same article "Sinn Fein's deputy leader, Mary Lou McDonald, said that "pension payouts to former senior public servants of hundreds of thousands of euro is nothing short of a scandal".

"Brendan Howlin could significantly cut these gold- plated pensions tomorrow if he wanted to," she said.

My question is, can Brendan Howlin actually cut these pensions? And if he can why has he not already done so?

dresden8

Legislation dear boy legislation.

Like they are threatening current public servants with.

Apparently it's already written.

commonman

She is right , but that will not happen there is a class of people that are untouchable and there is some of them in that group.

Ulster-Lad

pippakin

I'm not sure, as much as I hope she is, that she is right. If the pensions were contribution based and part of a valid contract of employment maybe they can't be cut.

swicker

Mary Lou said? But but but, what about Jean McConville?

Just thought I'd get in first.

hiding behind a poster

Legislation dear boy legislation.

Like they are threatening current public servants with.

Apparently it's already written.
Big legal issue with property rights. A pension is different to future income in that respect.

FakeViking

Good old Mary Lou. Another piece of mindless populism, but I'm sure she'll get a few votes for it.

Catalpast

This is the same Party that wants to increase the tax burden on Irish Taxpayers by another €300 MILLION every year in order to increase the Foreign Aid budget!

SPOOFERS!

Asparagus

In todays Irish Independent it is reported that more than 128 former HSE workers are on pensions > €100,000 PA.
In the same article "Sinn Fein's deputy leader, Mary Lou McDonald, said that "pension payouts to former senior public servants of hundreds of thousands of euro is nothing short of a scandal".

"Brendan Howlin could significantly cut these gold- plated pensions tomorrow if he wanted to," she said.

My question is, can Brendan Howlin actually cut these pensions? And if he can why has he not already done so?
Because once he did that, then the next question would be

"can we not do that hse thing on the ff ministers who wrecked the economy"

4 years later the question would be

"That hse, ff thing, cold we not apply that to the Flabourg ministers who wrecked the state"

And howlin would be shot with his own gun.

culmore

all the government has to do is increase Income Tax on Pay and Pensions over 100 grand
out a half hour in the Dail sone evening

turdsl

Howlin will not do it. His Fine Gael masters insist on protecting the rich,

corelli

He could, but he would have to cut everyones pensions pro-rata or it would be discriminatory.

On another reading, we should have cut the crap out of all pensions above 100k long ago on the basis of inability to pay, given we are in a bailout and have a huge deficit. Why nobody has, last or present government, is beyone logic.

Johnny

Big legal issue with property rights. A pension is different to future income in that respect.
True, but they could introduce a Draconian tax on such sums.

Anyway, this sort of stuff really is risible populism, up there with Vincent Browne's wailing about State cars. In the overall scheme of things it would have a miniscule impact on the state coffers. Might be good to knock a few votes out of, but that's pretty much it.

hiding behind a poster

So are you saying that any pension in payment (and I am not including state pensions in that) cannot be cut???
I don't know if its the case in absolutely every instance, but constitutionally a pension is seen as a property accrued by someone during their time working, which they then receive on retirement.

Analyzer

This would the same Mary Lou who was MEP but who had a dodgy abysmal attendance record.

Maybe she should discuss the issue of absenteeism in the HSE ?

Dougal

I don't know if its the case in absolutely every instance, but constitutionally a pension is seen as a property accrued by someone during their time working, which they then receive on retirement.
Well I think you should tell that to the Tara Miners. They have cut them, and if they want they can extend this to other DB Schemes but as Corelli says, it would have to be on a pro-rata basis as it currently stands, but where there is a will there is a way. They just do not have the will to do it. They introduced legislation in 2009 which facilitate this. End of the day, any law can be brought in if they wish.

Last edited:

Johnny

This would the same Mary Lou who was MEP but who had a dodgy abysmal attendance record.

Maybe she should discuss the issue of absenteeism in the HSE ?
Also Eniskillen, La Mon, Jerry McCabe, Kingsmills, and..... *drumroll* yep, you've guessed it... Jean McConville.

TODevastated

it may be "property" but it is merely an IOU being paid for by future generations out of borrowed funds

the promise is unfundable in the future and will be taxed/welched on in the future