Mary Lou signals her intent to move SF to the centre.

redneck

Fianna Fáils current song seems to be- "God save the Queen", not -arise and follow Micheál.

Mercurial

Fianna Fáil are not Republican. There is none in their current set up, maybe Eamon O Cuív. It is a cold house for Republicans and Nationalists. For example all current FF front bench urged N.I nationalists to take the oath of Allegiance to the Royals. Also FF seem more like the DUP in this.
Well, I did say "officially" republican. For me, the only valuable kind of nationalism is a left-wing nationalism. If SF adopt centrist policies than I don't see how they can do so without deviating from the kind of nationalism that's worth supporting.

redneck

Well, I did say "officially" republican. For me, the only valuable kind of nationalism is a left-wing nationalism. If SF adopt centrist policies than I don't see how they can do so without deviating from the kind of nationalism that's worth supporting.
Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael always so keen to impress- whether it be the Royal family, the Unionists, the EU or America/Israel.
Always want to be the good little maneen. Or man servent.

Barroso

The problem SF face here is whether they want to be a leftwing party or not, and try appealing to the remaining leftwing voters and PBP/AAA etc. There are a lot of votes in this, and it has potential for SF.
If they don't want this, then fair enough - move to the right; which is what they have been doing anyway. But they will be competing directly with FF, and shedding votes to the left. This policy might even help resurrect Labour!

Northsideman

The problem SF face here is whether they want to be a leftwing party or not, and try appealing to the remaining leftwing voters and PBP/AAA etc. There are a lot of votes in this, and it has potential for SF.
If they don't want this, then fair enough - move to the right; which is what they have been doing anyway. But they will be competing directly with FF, and shedding votes to the left. This policy might even help resurrect Labour!
I know it's off topic for this thread but as you raised it the only thing that will resurrect Labour is far less hubris and the dropping of their self appointed status as the saviours of the nation. Amadan and the rest of them still can't see themselves as anything other than saints and until that changes they are fuked.

McTell

Twitter
No

blinding

Mary Lou actively searches for Torpedoes and crashes Sinn Fein into them as fast as she possibly can .

A Voice

Mary Lou McDonald and her senior advisors have conducted a general election postmortem. The general consensus is that the SF strategy of encouraging tactical voting in order to maximise Nationalist seats was a win win. The result, nine to eight in favour of Nationalists is historic and puts a United Ireland front and centre on the political stage. The election of two SDLP candidate gives political cover to Sinn Fein. The assumption is that Eastwood and Hanna will toddle off to Westminster only to ignored and humiliated time and time again just like their predecessors.

Mary Lou was primarily responsible for the decision to stand down SF candidates in favour of the SDLP and Alliance. She pushed through the controversial policy in the face of stiff opposition from some in the Party. It was a high risk strategy that could have easily gone wrong and resulted in a leadership challenge. Its success has bolstered her position in the party and given her a new found confidence to pursue her ambition of moving Sinn Fein to the economic centre ground.

McDonald has told senior figures in Sinn Fein that hard left parties struggle to get more than 15% of the popular vote and that SF will always be a marginal party in the South unless it drops marxist economic policies. She believes that the nationalisation of critical industries and massive tax hikes on the middle classes to pay for a “free everything” approach to government services will simply alienate the public. She intends to use the implosion of the British Labour Party as evidence that a skeptical electorate will reject a party with unrealistic spending plans and a high taxes policy. She reckons that most SF TDs would rather compromise on policy and exercise power in a coalition government than remain in permanent principled opposition for ideological reasons. The question is whether she can bring TD’s like Eoin O’Broin with her. There may be a few casualties along the way.
Good for her if that's all true.

RasherHash

Something doesn't add up.

1️⃣ Sinn Féin leader @MaryLouMcDonald seeks government intervention for créches
2️⃣ An Taoiseach @LeoVaradkar calls this approach "reckless"
3️⃣ Minister for children @KZapponeTD announces once off €1500 payment costing €7m

#GE20 is closer than we think 𝙅𝙤𝙝𝙣 𝙒𝙖𝙡𝙡 on Twitter

blinding

Mary Lou is going to take Sinn fein to the centre of FFG ( home for Mary Lou )

Baron von Biffo

Something doesn't add up.

1️⃣ Sinn Féin leader @MaryLouMcDonald seeks government intervention for créches
2️⃣ An Taoiseach @LeoVaradkar calls this approach "reckless"
3️⃣ Minister for children @KZapponeTD announces once off €1500 payment costing €7m

#GE20 is closer than we think 𝙅𝙤𝙝𝙣 𝙒𝙖𝙡𝙡 on Twitter
It's all very simple. Zappone is coming to the end of her time as a minister so she's lashing out our money in the hope of clinging on to her Dail seat. And if it also increases her chances of a sinecure with some charity she won't be too upset.

With her immense arrogance and her utter contempt for men she doesn't give a dam what the Taoiseach says on the matter.

New Threads

Most Replies