Mary McAleese now persona non grata at Francis' gaffe?

petaljam

Apparently Mary McAleese has been banned from a Vatican conference on women.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/mary-mcaleese-barred-by-vatican-from-conference-on-women-1.3377099

The Vatican has barred former President of Ireland Mary McAleese from taking part in a conference to mark International Women’s Day which was originally due to take place in the Holy See.
The list of potential speakers required approval from a cardinal, but Mrs McAleese was not granted permission to participate.
Given the upcoming WCF in Dublin, will this put the cat among the pigeons?

Supra

Are not making the cut and being banned the same thing?

silverharp

petaljam

And you don't think it might be something of a diplomatic embarrassment to have the ex president of the country (who was so involved with the Vatican, different if it had been Mary Robinson, say - though I suspect she'd have been clever enough not to let herself be put in this position in the first place) "en froid" with the Vatican during their big celebrations in Dublin?

petaljam

Funny, but now stop trolling my thread please! ;)

What about poor Mary?
It's a serious question - what are they playing at? Does she need to be whipped back into line, or are the church authorities really doing as I think Lumpy Talbot has often suggested, machinegunning themselves in the feet?

Deadlock

And you don't think it might be something of a diplomatic embarrassment to have the ex president of the country (who was so involved with the Vatican, different if it had been Mary Robinson, say - though I suspect she'd have been clever enough not to let herself be put in this position in the first place) "en froid" with the Vatican during their big celebrations in Dublin?
A graphic illustration of the contempt for 'loyal opposition' in the RCC. Not much appears to have changed since the days of Galileo Galilei.

After this slap in the face to his partner, Martin McAlesse should revisit his report into the Magdelene Laundries.

Kicks in the cassocks are all these people understand.

statsman

Funny, but now stop trolling my thread please! ;)

What about poor Mary?
It's a serious question - what are they playing at? Does she need to be whipped back into line, or are the church authorities really doing as I think Lumpy Talbot has often suggested, machinegunning themselves in the feet?
Sorry, boss, I'l try to be serious. Let's see.

Former holder of almost entirely ceremonial role in a small state at the edge of Europe is not invited to attend a conference in an even smaller state on the edge of darkness.

It's not much of a story, is it? ;)

Deadlock

Not a chance I think, how could he now come out and admit to having whitewashed it?
It's like a cop working for the Mafia, even if they double cross him, he probably has more to lose in going to the authorities than they do.
Never underestimate the power, or the allure, of 'mature recollection'.

statsman

Never underestimate the power, or the allure, of 'mature recollection'.
In my experience, the more mature I get, the harder recollection becomes.

petaljam

Sorry, boss, I'l try to be serious. Let's see.

Former holder of almost entirely ceremonial role in a small state at the edge of Europe is not invited to attend a conference in an even smaller state on the edge of darkness.

It's not much of a story, is it? ;)
Well in the grand scheme of rulers of the universe, or even the Lizard people, obviously not, but it's our small state after all.
I dont imagine the upcoming referendum will have much effect on the rest of the world either, but look at how much heat it generates on here.

New Threads

Most Replies