Mary O'Rourke to join the female exodus from Leinster House

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Apparently while being interviewed on local radio this morning, former goverment minister Mary O'Rourke has said that she is looking at the option of standing down at the next General Election. Hardly surprising as he's 73.

Tomas Mor

Apparently while being interviewed on local radio this morning, former goverment minister Mary O'Rourke has said that she is looking at the option of standing down at the next General Election. Hardly surprising as he's 73.
Cad a dhéanfaimid feasta gan adhmaid ?

DCon

Who will talk $hite on the radio in her absence?

Politicians should have to retire at 65. No point having old codgers in there based on past favours handed out to their constituents

DCon

Is her Son ready to inherit the seat and join his cousins in the Big House?

Asparagus

Women are being driven out of politics by
  • Old Age
  • Love for their children
  • Relative unpopulatrity compared to men by the electorate

What we need is a quota system so that we can fill dail eirinn with childless middleaged harpies.
Its undemocratic to expect a woman to win an open election.

Perhaps we just reserve 83 seats and allow the womens council to select them.

Look at what have men done to the country - imagine 83 mary harneys, mary coughlans and think of what they could do for our recovery.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

john scott

Hard to see Mary giving up all the attention from the media. Probably afraid of losing her seat. Or maybe going to run for president. Never underestimate TD's ambitions.

realistic1

Hard to see Mary giving up all the attention from the media. Probably afraid of losing her seat. Or maybe going to run for president. Never underestimate TD's ambitions.
Dont forget that retirement home the Seanad

DCon

Apparently, after Lenihan's changes at the last budget, sitting TD's will not be able to draw a Ministerial/Taoiseach's pension in the next Dail.

This is what is prompting her I am sure.

never underestimate greed.

gijoe

Is her Son ready to inherit the seat and join his cousins in the Big House?
I do not think any FFer can retire at this election and expect their seat to be gifted to the next generation. There was a particular backlash against FF son/daughter candidates of TD's in the last locals.

Socratus O' Pericles

What's the story with the son--is he another thundering gobsh*** he seems not to have registered on the Socratic radar.

D

Duth Ealla

Thanks be to God. Oone of the most privileged families in ireland loses a public representative. The Lenihan clan is the epitomy of inherited political power and privilege in Ireland. Good luck Mammie 'Rourke.

On a side note there has been much discussion about the exodus of women TDs. Certainly Leinster house is not balanced but the recent spate of resignations have other reasons rather than the gender imbalance.

Creighton picked the wrong side in a coup and jumped before being pushed, Liz wants to see her son get the seat according to the Phoenix. I dont know Mary Upton's motives maybe she has just been around the block for too long and certainly Mammie 'Rourke has more than stayed her welcome.

There is still a gender issue in Leinster house, which militates against better policy, but the recent exodus of women may or may not be related to that.

realistic1

I'm sure the electorate could come up with a solution to stop this...
Only solution would be compulsory voting. At the moment the established parties have no interest in a increase in voter numbers because it would change the political structure of this State.

invpat

Donie (its all my own hair) Cassidy will be happy its his turn to step in again.They will probably swap jobs like last time.

Anorakphobia

"looking at the option of standing down"?

Let me translate that from Lenihan speak to English.
"Depending on when the election is called I will assess the likliehood of success and if it is remote, I will stand down. If however some form of FF recovery has taken place in the interim, I will stand aagain and you can enjoy my batty, irrelevant, divertionary ramesh for another 5 years"

Anorakphobia

Donie (its all my own hair) Cassidy will be happy its his turn to step in again.They will probably swap jobs like last time.
Donie versus TR Dallas in country and western stand off for the nomination.
"Gentlemen, banjos at the ready"

Iarmhi Gael

Who will talk $hite on the radio in her absence?

Politicians should have to retire at 65. No point having old codgers in there based on past favours handed out to their constituents
i don't actually agree with that DCon.... Know where you're coming from but many old codgers are well able to work past 65 and in some cases I've seen people retire at 65 and have nothing to do except wait for dying.

In relation to Mary O'Rourke, she was a damn hard worker for the people in Athlone and her Westmeath Consitituents. Shafted by Fianna Fail under Bertie Ahern when Donie Cassidy got alot of her locality in the 02 elections

Asparagus

What's the story with the son--is he another thundering gobsh*** he seems not to have registered on the Socratic radar.
I assume this is the guy

Cllr. Aengus O’Rourke | Fianna Fáil

knows where the bread is buttered
I come from a family with strong political roots and a track record of delivering for this constituency. All my life I have lived in a political world.
tranlsated as Me Mammy is Mary.

Owns a snap printing franchise in athlone which i imagine could probably close its doors outside or General and Local Elections and still make a fortune.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies