• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Mary Robinson - who cares?

Disillusioned democrat

If you want an interesting insight into the complete waste of space/time/money the Irish Presidency really is, and the kind of mentality you need to want it/get it you could do worse than listen to some of these.

Mary Robinson, talking to John Bowman Wednesday 3 April 2013 - Mary Robinson, talking to John Bowman - RTÉ RTÉ Radio 1

My wife subjected me to 30 mins of the one last night and I found it truly appalling to listen as a self-obsessed, self-serving lady explained how an un-electable academic Senator, failed TD candidate could make it to the token office of the President and begin the inexorable journey to increased allowances, salary, pension while using it to get herself into the UN because Ireland just wasn't enough.

I was never a fan, but after listening to this for 30 mins I'm better informed and more convinced than ever that we should abandon the presidency AND the Seanad and have a very hard look at the kind of people we elect to represent "us".

Clanrickard

If you want an interesting insight into the complete waste of space/time/money the Irish Presidency really is, and the kind of mentality you need to want it/get it you could do worse than listen to some of these.

Mary Robinson, talking to John Bowman Wednesday 3 April 2013 - Mary Robinson, talking to John Bowman - RTÉ RTÉ Radio 1

My wife subjected me to 30 mins of the one last night and I found it truly appalling to listen as a self-obsessed, self-serving lady explained how an un-electable academic Senator, failed TD candidate could make it to the token office of the President and begin the inexorable journey to increased allowances, salary, pension while using it to get herself into the UN because Ireland just wasn't enough.

I was never a fan, but after listening to this for 30 mins I'm better informed and more convinced than ever that we should abandon the presidency AND the Seanad and have a very hard look at the kind of people we elect to represent "us".
Sshhhhh! The Cappuccino liberal heads will explode if they read anything mildly critical about Saint Mary Robinson.

D

Dylan2010

One Mary Robinson >100 rubbish working class people , get over it!

Disillusioned democrat

Sshhhhh! The Cappuccino liberal heads will explode if they read anything mildly critical about Saint Mary Robinson.
She described herself as a left leaning liberal at one stage....in Ireland that means making a very good living freely spending other peoples' money on your own pet projects.

Northsideman

Exactly, us plebs always need one of our betters to tell us what to do and more importantly how and what to think and Mary's your woman for that.

Disillusioned democrat

One element of the interview that stuck out for me was how close everyone at the top seems to be - there was loads of references to very good friends in the judiciary, in the bar, across the media, and JPB was positively gushing about her during the interview.

She was lecturing and mentoring Brian Lenihan Jr while cutting the legs off his father in the election, but showed far more affinity for the peers than for the people who were and still are paying her way.

During the interview she admits to asking for and getting a significant increase to her "allowance" so she could be the president she wanted to be, not be the president the country could afford, and I think this where the rot set in that somehow the presidency is somehow an important (and in Ireland that means EXPENSIVE) role.

Trainwreck

During the interview she admits to asking for and getting a significant increase to her "allowance" so she could be the president she wanted to be, not be the president the country could afford,

And there I was thinking that the role of a our President was a matter for Constitutional determination, not personal career aspirations.

D

Dylan2010

And there I was thinking that the role of a our President was a matter for Constitutional determination, not personal career aspirations.
But Im sure she "feels" strongly she was doing the "right" thing, so thats all that counts, right? she has such a sense of the world, how can you question it?

Hitch 22

Infamously in 1991 Mary Robinson was wearing a canary yellow suit and was inspecting the Presidential guard when a soldier remarked "Here comes Big Bird." The cheeky soldier was harshly disciplined.

meriwether

She got elected as President, did she not?

Skin the Goat

Infamously in 1991 Mary Robinson was wearing a canary yellow suit and was inspecting the Presidential guard when a soldier remarked "Here comes Big Bird." The cheeky soldier was harshly disciplined.
Harshly???

Aindriu

She always comes across to me as a patronising bovine.

borntorum

Not at all, it's a chance to put oneself in the international shop window by publicly emoting over famine victims in Africa, and then quitting the job early when a juicier role comes along abroad.

Eoin Coir

Any chance she might be recognised as a symbol of a new changing Ireland ? And the best thing she had going for her, like Higgins and Bagman choice in 2011, was that it was either her or Spoofer Brian Lenihan.

The attacks on her by attack dogs like Pee Flynn, her new hairstyle and family concerns, and FF TD John Browne accusing her of wanting to set up an abortion clinic in the Aras, was straight from the Fianna Fail school of thuggery which sustained them for years and years.

Disillusioned democrat

But Im sure she "feels" strongly she was doing the "right" thing, so thats all that counts, right? she has such a sense of the world, how can you question it?
It's easy to have strong feelings of being right and in balance with the world when someone else is picking up the tab.

In her interview she comes across as very self-obsessive.

G

Gimpanzee

I'd have thought the Brie-de-meuix munching atheist liberal smug monkeys would want nothing to do with sainthood?

borntorum

Any chance she might be recognised as a symbol of a new changing Ireland ? And the best thing she had going for her, like Higgins and Bagman choice in 2011, was that it was either her or Spoofer Brian Lenihan.

The attacks on her by attack dogs like Pee Flynn, her new hairstyle and family concerns, and FF TD John Browne accusing her of wanting to set up an abortion clinic in the Aras, was straight from the Fianna Fail school of thuggery which sustained them for years and years.
You are the king of whataboutery, and on a site filled with shinners and crazed unionists, that's high praise indeed

Disillusioned democrat

She got elected as President, did she not?
That in itself is a reflection on two aspects of the office of the presidency - 1, that at the time it was considered a retirement home TDs and Ministers and 2, the front runner shot himself in the foot.

The presidency was a joke back then and not the ho-ha we've made it today.

In a sense she hijacked the presidency, pimped it up with tax payers money and used it to get what she wanted.

D

Dylan2010

It's easy to have strong feelings of being right and in balance with the world when someone else is picking up the tab.

In her interview she comes across as very self-obsessive.
for sure, she did some good work in her student days, after that she is just an unabashed careerist looking for any vehicle for personal advancement. People like that need you more than you need them

FakeViking

That in itself is a reflection on two aspects of the office of the presidency - 1, that at the time it was considered a retirement home TDs and Ministers and 2, the front runner shot himself in the foot.

The presidency was a joke back then and not the ho-ha we've made it today.

In a sense she hijacked the presidency, pimped it up with tax payers money and used it to get what she wanted.
Reading some of the infantile garbage posted by the begrudgers on here, one would get impression that the Aras is for elderly men from large parties who want to work on their golf handicap. Robbo took on the challenge and made something of the Presidency, fair dues to her.

Popular Threads

Most Replies