Mary Robinson

Lagertha

Strangely enough, I only though the book fest was a mildly interesting sideshow. But it seems to be a little more interesting.He seems to have been released 26 November 2018.

That seem to explain why the festival programme (headlining Robbo) was released on that date, apparently delayed by a week.So it actually becomes a timeline like this:

On 25 November 2018, Robbo announces she's pulling out of the Emirates Literature Festival, in response to a request by Anthony Beevor that authors boycott the event unless Hedges is released by UAE.

On 26 November 2018, Hedges is released.

On 15 December, Robbo has the famous lunch in Dubai, having been invited there a few days before (because one of the ruler's multiple wives invites her on account of her integrity and such).
Don't forget that it was only days after the BBC aired a documentary on princess Haya that Robinson flew over for that lunch, that would have been the end of the first week of December/beginning of the second week of December.

Schuhart

Don't forget that it was only days after the BBC aired a documentary on princess Haya that Robinson flew over for that lunch, that would have been the end of the first week of December/beginning of the second week of December.
Apologies, as I probably look like I've my tinfoil hat on. At the same time, this chronology is (I think) quite interesting.

22 November 2018, Anthony Beevor announces he's withdrawing from the Emirates Literary Festival over the Hedges case. Several other authors follow suit (Robbo not included in those named immediately)
Authors boycott UAE book festival over Matthew Hedges jailing | Books | The Guardian

On 25 November 2018, Robbo announces she's pulling out of the Emirates Literature Festival

On 26 November 2018, the festival programme is published giving top billing to Robbo

On 27 November, Anthony Beevor says he's still boycotting the festival, as Hedges was pardoned rather than declared innocent
UAE's insistence on Hedges' guilt sustains Emirates Lit Fest boycott | The Bookseller

On 6 December 2018, BBC 2 broadcasts the documentary on "The Missing Princess"

On 15 December, Robbo has the famous lunch in Dubai, having been invited there a few days before (because one of the ruler's multiple wives invites her on account of her integrity and such).

On 24 December, the infamous pictures are published

On 27 December, Robbo confirms
Dubai princess - Independent.ie

And we talked about climate change and I mentioned that I would be back in Dubai in early March, because I'm promoting [her book on climate change] in the Emirates Literary Festival.

Wagmore

Apologies, as I probably look like I've my tinfoil hat on. At the same time, this chronology is (I think) quite interesting.

22 November 2018, Anthony Beevor announces he's withdrawing from the Emirates Literary Festival over the Hedges case. Several other authors follow suit (Robbo not included in those named immediately)
Authors boycott UAE book festival over Matthew Hedges jailing | Books | The Guardian

On 25 November 2018, Robbo announces she's pulling out of the Emirates Literature Festival

On 26 November 2018, the festival programme is published giving top billing to Robbo

On 27 November, Anthony Beevor says he's still boycotting the festival, as Hedges was pardoned rather than declared innocent
UAE's insistence on Hedges' guilt sustains Emirates Lit Fest boycott | The Bookseller

On 6 December 2018, BBC 2 broadcasts the documentary on "The Missing Princess"

On 24 December, the infamous pictures are published

On 27 December, Robbo confirms
No traces of tinfoil in that timeline--

Shpake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latifa_bint_Mohammed_Al_Maktoum_(II)
Here is the wiki entry on the lady in question.

It would be all so simple if we could just "google it" and see what the circumstances are.

It is very very plausible that she has grown up in a "gilded cage" and wants out. (at the tender age of 33 years old!)

It's entirely possible that she has got psychological issues which may be small, medium or big, but ask yourself: if you had been in some sort of confinement by your family for as long as she's been.... would you be the same "normal" person that you are now?
Her supporters and the human rights watch people are afraid that if she is not freed that she will commit suicide.
Well, if she does commet suicide or attempt to, her Da and her family could just as easily point out. There ! ya see. We told you so. She was in need of care.

What I think is the best or only course of action is for her to be examined by an international panel --- paid by the UN, not by her financially secure family. Giving a verdict of sanity or insanity is not an exact science. Recall that homosexuals in the U.S. and I think in Ireland were regarded as in some way insane not so very long ago.

So she may be in need of pychological (or pscyhiatric ) care.

She may be someone who can take care of herself but simply wants her freedom.

She may be someone who wants to let it all hang out on the silver screen to the shock of the Sun tabloid equivalents down there in the Gulf to the chagrin of her respectable father ( six wives) and the good folk of Dubai. Well that could raise constitutional issues way down there, you never know. Think Lady Diana!

Say, that Mathew Hedges fellow... I had thought that he was arrested on spying or endangering national security down there. Was he connected to the Latifa case?

Last question. (it's a bit rude)
Was the lady ummm .... "clipped" in such an islamic way that she would not be likely to go bed-hopping. I never heard Mary Robinson mentioning this aspect during the breakfast and tea. And for Godsakes. Where were the Hijabs and Niquabs and such?

Lagertha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latifa_bint_Mohammed_Al_Maktoum_(II)
Here is the wiki entry on the lady in question.

It would be all so simple if we could just "google it" and see what the circumstances are.

It is very very plausible that she has grown up in a "gilded cage" and wants out. (at the tender age of 33 years old!)

It's entirely possible that she has got psychological issues which may be small, medium or big, but ask yourself: if you had been in some sort of confinement by your family for as long as she's been.... would you be the same "normal" person that you are now?
Her supporters and the human rights watch people are afraid that if she is not freed that she will commit suicide.
Well, if she does commet suicide or attempt to, her Da and her family could just as easily point out. There ! ya see. We told you so. She was in need of care.

What I think is the best or only course of action is for her to be examined by an international panel --- paid by the UN, not by her financially secure family. Giving a verdict of sanity or insanity is not an exact science. Recall that homosexuals in the U.S. and I think in Ireland were regarded as in some way insane not so very long ago.

So she may be in need of pychological (or pscyhiatric ) care.

She may be someone who can take care of herself but simply wants her freedom.

She may be someone who wants to let it all hang out on the silver screen to the shock of the Sun tabloid equivalents down there in the Gulf to the chagrin of her respectable father ( six wives) and the good folk of Dubai. Well that could raise constitutional issues way down there, you never know. Think Lady Diana!

Say, that Mathew Hedges fellow... I had thought that he was arrested on spying or endangering national security down there. Was he connected to the Latifa case?

Last question. (it's a bit rude)
Was the lady ummm .... "clipped" in such an islamic way that she would not be likely to go bed-hopping. I never heard Mary Robinson mentioning this aspect during the breakfast and tea. And for Godsakes. Where were the Hijabs and Niquabs and such?
I doubt the elite families ''clip'' their daughters. They've tended to allow their daughters to be educated in the west although with this case and the young woman who sought asylum this week I'd say there'll probably be a crackdown on this and other little freedoms that females enjoyed up to now.

Wagmore

I doubt the elite families ''clip'' their daughters. They've tended to allow their daughters to be educated in the west although with this case and the young woman who sought asylum this week I'd say there'll probably be a crackdown on this and other little freedoms that females enjoyed up to now.
What a feckin culture. Feminists should hang their heads in shame for not declaring this just globally not acceptable. Vegans get upset about the rights of bleeding chickens but very little about this FGM obscenity. Has the UN even denounced it

Shpake

What a feckin culture. Feminists should hang their heads in shame for not declaring this just globally not acceptable. Vegans get upset about the rights of bleeding chickens but very little about this FGM obscenity. Has the UN even denounced it
From what I've heard, it's fairly widespread in black Africa but not so much in Arabia. But just to confound this generalization it is shockingly prevalent in Egypt of all places, which I would have thought to be among the more liberal advanced states.
As for the Emirates or the Gulf?
Even getting the info about how prevalent it is... now there's an task.

The Latifa case is noteworthy as it's not the usual feminist demand for access to the job market or a demand for equal pay for equal work. She most likely will never need to work in her entire life.
Say like in the case of Mary Robinson going for Prezz or the UN job, well this was a battle for the "icing on the cake". And that is fair enough. Such women as Benizir Bhutto in Pakistan -- and the was some Turkish lady who ruled Turkey in the 90's --- well they were trailblazers for their poorer sisters in the access to education and the right to work.
But the real hardship in my view is not between the genders -- it's between the haves and have-nots. Oh dear, I'm drifting off a bit.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Being a skeptic is the Scientific way. Being a Global Warming fundamentalist is not. Most of those who whinge loudest about Climate Change are either making money from it (Al Gore and his Carbon futures, Mary Robinson and her foundation and book) or idiotic true believers with no background in STEM.
[h=1]Ann McElhinney and Phelim McAleer[/h]are not from a stem background either

Schuhart

Where were the Hijabs and Niquabs and such?
I don't get that vibe out of it. This more Hello magazine than anything else. Robbo's pal, the variously described third, fourth or sixth wife, doesn't seem to cover her hair. Maybe she's the presentable wife, fit for that front page glossy story "Princess Haya Visits Ascot For The Gold Cup And Speaks Out For Climate Justice And An End To Childhood Obesity".

Anyway, our own Supreme SJW is inflating her bubble for 2019
Never too young to lead, never too old to learn | Presentation Sisters Union North East Ireland
We must not succumb to fatalism or despair in 2019 | The Elders

In conclusion

Mary Robinson said:

“<...> We need to puncture the vanity and delusions of those leaders – mostly men, it must be noted – who believe that individual nations can shape the global order to their liking through brute force or bullying, without any consideration for human rights or social justice.

<...> including equality for women and girls, <...>

We also need to be vigilant in upholding the values and standards of truth, integrity and decency across public life, including political and media discourse. When powerful men dismiss critical reports as “fake news” and defame independent journalists as “enemies of the people”, this is a mortal threat to all our freedoms which must be vigorously resisted.
On the other hand, no problem increasing your carbon footprint at the request of one of the multiple wives of a wealthy man. And no need to speak to the media about it, unless you're a man.

Because this matter is terribly private. Apart from the global broadcast of the "assessment" that a named individual is a loon who can't be let out on her own.

Apart from that single fact, its all a private family matter.

Wagmore

I don't get that vibe out of it. This more Hello magazine than anything else. Robbo's pal, the variously described third, fourth or sixth wife, doesn't seem to cover her hair. Maybe she's the presentable wife, fit for that front page glossy story "Princess Haya Visits Ascot For The Gold Cup And Speaks Out For Climate Justice And An End To Childhood Obesity".

Anyway, our own Supreme SJW is inflating her bubble for 2019On the other hand, no problem increasing your carbon footprint at the request of one of the multiple wives of a wealthy man. And no need to speak to the media about it, unless you're a man.

Because this matter is terribly private. Apart from the global broadcast of the "assessment" that a named individual is a loon who can't be let out on her own.

Apart from that single fact, its all a private family matter.
You, Al Gore levels of hypocrisy all over this

Finbar10

The Phoenix does comment about this a lot in this week's issue. It also lists the big investments the Al Maktoum family have here: thousands of acres in stud farms, redevelopment of the Curragh, multi-million sponsorship of Irish horse racing, the business Emirates airline brings to Dublin airport, various strongly-related trade missions to Dubai, favourable balance of trade: exports of €1 billion to them compared to imports of €100 million from them. It's no wonder criticism from the media is fairly muted.

The Phoenix also mentions how the family foundation built the Clonskeagh Mosque/Centre and how UAE money still funds it (opened by Robinson herself in 1996). No effort was spared in trying to get the imam of Clonskeagh's son, Ibrahim Halawa, returned (though others like Eanna Cochlain in the Philippines were quietly ignored).

Before this broke, I can't say I was aware of the earlier disappearance of Princess Shamsa. That casts Robinson's involvement here in a much worse light tbh.

raetsel

raetsel

As I suspected- blah-blah tokenism. Thanks for exposing Where are the demonstrations, the threats to future aid, ultimatums etc. Rant? Easy to see there's no threat hanging over your genitalia.
You rant about feminists and the UN not taking a position on FGM and when I show you that is untrue you dismiss their condemnation of it as tokenism. Oh and for good measure you throw in another one of your obvious bêtes noires, the vegans.
I think you'll find that vegans have no official stand on FGM for the same reason as the NSPCA haven't, or for that matter the IRFU, or the or Rathmines & Rathgar Musical Society. By your logic they are all guilty of complacency on FGM. :lol:

Wagmore

You rant about feminists and the UN not taking a position on FGM and when I show you that is untrue you dismiss their condemnation of it as tokenism. Oh and for good measure you throw in another one of your obvious bêtes noires, the vegans.
I think you'll find that vegans have no official stand on FGM for the same reason as the NSPCA haven't, or for that matter the IRFU, or the or Rathmines & Rathgar Musical Society. By your logic they are all guilty of complacency on FGM. :lol:
My question was has the UN denounced it. I take it that the and is No then

parentheses

Has Mrs Robinson been asked whether her foundation received money from Dubai?

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com