Mary Robinson

Golah veNekhar

Then state plainly what you actually disagree with in the post I wrote. Now I don't mean the usual glib nothing retort from your armoury of smart arse student-y one-liners that you draw on to outright dismiss anything challenging for your dogma, of always evil "Zionists" and innocent oppressed Islamists etc. Or to start with something tangible, did Tom Lantos make it all up?
Jews have done best under Islamic control- that is just a simple historical fact. You may say look at their successes in the United States, yeah but look at the rates of mental illness within American Jewry. When people tell me that Jews have adapted to modernity much better than Muslims I point to the Shoah. The fact that you keep bringing up the "Muslim peril" I think might show that you realize that in the contemporary world support for Zionism among the Goyim is never about love and concern for Jews. Who knows though? Anyway whatever the case most Jews in Israel/Palestine would be much better off being ruled by Yahya Sinwar than by Bibi.

RasherHash

No, but Labour should try to convince her to run for her second term as president (in fairness I think Eamon De Valera might have a better claim to being the country's greatest statesperson; international Recognition, dismantling the treaty and maintaining neutrality to name a few).
Or Sean McBride or Frank Aiken.

Baron von Biffo

No, but Labour should try to convince her to run for her second term as president (in fairness I think Eamon De Valera might have a better claim to being the country's greatest statesperson; international Recognition, dismantling the treaty and maintaining neutrality to name a few).
She didn't even complete the term she was already elected to serve.

Robinson was only elected by accident in 1990. If Lenihan hadn't told such a bare-faced (and pointless) lie he would have romped home. She had no baggage back then and the third candidate was only a stop-gap to save Garret Fitzgerald's blushes.

Were she to run again she'd be carrying her record with her. The narcissistic speeches to the Oireachtas, the unnecessary Art. 26 referrals, the cringe inducing candle in the window and all the old guff about the diaspora, but most of all she'd have to address the ignoble end of her last period in the office. Telling us 'Shove your presidency, I've had a better offer' would be remembered and would scupper any hope of re-election.

roc_

... Obviously, I don’t devote much time to this subject and I am merely pointing out that while a lot may be said during negotiations or discussions, the final text still matters a great deal in any conference, and I would encourage every person here to read that text and make up their own minds as to how reprehensible it really was. In my own case, I only read the text after reading the reports and assumed there must be something awful in it...
To repeat myself, the final official UN report was a whitewash of the affair.

What happened at the event itself is what was signifiant. Remember the US representative described it as “the most sickening and unabashed display of hate for Jews I had seen since the Nazi period.” He was not exaggerating one bit.

And it was attended by thousands upon thousands. It left a LEGACY on the world. E.g. Durban & 9/11 ten years later - Jerusalem Post

Notably, human rights was used not as a facilitator for communication but as a weapon of political interests (antithetical to human rights protection). She thus oversaw the 21st century weaponisation of human rights.

A large group of Muslim OIC countries and other political bodies by design politically hijacked the conference to redefine antisemitism, and isolate the state of Israel from the global community, as racist practitioners of "apartheid" and guilty of "crimes against humanity".

The conference evolved to provide rampant antisemitism with a global platform under UN auspices. (And it also revealed the malevolent antisemitism underlying the campaign to delegitimise the state of Israel.)

So, the final report does not mention any of this. Does that mean you can pretend it never happened? It would appear the answer to that for very many people is "yes" we can...

I presume you are not stating here that the accusation made in that headline is actually true.
The headline may be overdone a bit. The facts set out in the article are basically sound. But the point of the headline is, it reflects the outrage, and betrayal, felt by many people at what Mary Robinson facilitated.

Speaking personally, I would never condemn Mary Robinson for making a mistake, or an error of judgement. She is only human, and she was in a highly demanding role.

However what I do condemn her for today is her failure to speak out when she witnessed the discourse and hateful, distorting political slogans galvanised at this conference she lead, subsequently make it's way practically verbatim into the likes of the UNHCR chamber and the likes of online discussion forums such as this one.

Let's also acknowledge that much of this discourse was essentially a reinvigoration of doctrine and dogma conceived in the Soviet Union during the Cold War (Soviet anti-Zionism), and that like fellow political travellers of her generation, such as Michael D Higgins, or in the UK, Ken Livingstone and Jeremy Corbyn etc, they came under the sway of Soviet anti-Capitalist dogma, including this form of anti-Zionism, when quite young and impressionable.

(Indeed there was a special relationship between the Left and the Soviet Communists, and indeed we now know the left’s ‘peace campaigns’ and 'anti-missile' movements in these times were manipulated and secretly orchestrated from Moscow, as per the classified documentation obtained by Vladimir Bukovsky and others).

But a "war criminal"? I don't think so. But maybe I am just being generous because she is a fellow country woman, and I do admire so much about her. I just wish though, from the bottom of my heart, as a proud Irishman, that she would see her way to do the right thing, and speak out about what is happening today, particularly as regards hateful, discriminatory anti-Israel online discourse, and acknowledge it as at least a partial legacy of the conference she lead.

Golah veNekhar

But a "war criminal"? I don't think so. But maybe I am just being generous because she is a fellow country woman, and I do admire so much about her. I just wish though, from the bottom of my heart, as a proud Irishman, that she would see her way to do the right thing, and speak out about what is happening today, particularly as regards hateful, discriminatory anti-Israel online discourse, and acknowledge it as at least a partial legacy of the conference she lead.
But roc_ it is the pro-Zionist discourse that is discriminatory. Israel is by it's own admission not a state for all it's citizens. It is the envy of the Alt-Right. Also while I do admit that there are some actual anti-Semites who oppose Zionism, more actual anti-Semites support it because they see it as giving them somewhere to dump the Jews they want to kick out of their countries. Also just look at the Goyim who support Zionism on here. They are all screwed up with hatred. They don't love Jews- they hate Muslims.

Lagertha

But roc_ it is the pro-Zionist discourse that is discriminatory. Israel is by it's own admission not a state for all it's citizens. It is the envy of the Alt-Right. Also while I do admit that there are some actual anti-Semites who oppose Zionism, more actual anti-Semites support it because they see it as giving them somewhere to dump the Jews they want to kick out of their countries. Also just look at the Goyim who support Zionism on here. They are all screwed up with hatred. They don't love Jews- they hate Muslims.
Nonsense, little socky.

Lagertha

Here is the problem roc.

Some peopole disagree with you. It happens. This does not make them "antisemites, pedophiles, cretins, authoritarian sh1theads" or whatever smear you are instructed to use. It just means they disagree with you and your abuse weakens your stance, because despite all the psuedobabble, its all you have.

Basically you are a spoilt child. Waaaa waaaa
I laughed so hard at the hypocrisy of your post that I spat out some of my coffee.

Cailleach

so any update on Latifa?
All I can tell you is that to date I haven't even received an acknowledgement of receipt of my little missive to 'The Elders' not to mention anything substantive; sent a second email after five working days - zilch.

Next step, copies of emails to date sent by registered post to the London postal address.

I can keep this up indefinitely, le cúnamh Dé.

jmcc

All I can tell you is that to date I haven't even received an acknowledgement of receipt of my little missive to 'The Elders' not to mention anything substantive; sent a second email after five working days - zilch.

Next step, copies of emails to date sent by registered post to the London postal address.

I can keep this up indefinitely, le cúnamh Dé.
Just put "copy of book review" on the envelope. :)

soubresauts

In The Guardian too:
UAE's gender equality awards won entirely by men

The photo there is really something. Won't Mary Robinson be impressed?

The Guardian adds that the UAE's "legal system, which prioritises men’s rights in family and personal status matters such as marriage, divorce and custody of children. UAE law also permits domestic violence as long as the assault does not exceed the limits set by Islamic law."

I'm sure Latifa would be delighted to join the workforce, just not in any Arab country, no matter how good their gender balance is. It seems that UAE law also permits kidnapping, drugging and imprisonment of "disobedient" daughters.

As Morrissey put it: "Unruly girls who will not settle down, they must be taken in hand."