• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Mary Robinson

soubresauts

via RTÉ - Marian Finucane https://ift.tt/2NBL2lZ
That was interesting. Marian, to give her her due, raised most of the issues, if not in depth. Fergus Finlay's comments were pathetic, trying to defend his old friend Mary Robinson and brush the problems aside.

You would hope that Robinson would now do the right thing and make every effort to help free Latifa and Shamsa, while standing by her friend Princess Haya (who should eventually win custody of her own children in the English court). Of course that means admitting she (Robinson) made serious errors of judgement in her trip to Dubai.

Orbit v2

The recording they played of Princess Haya defending her husband (originally) could hardly have been more unequivocal, which makes the present situation all the more bizarre. As they said on that panel yesterday, you almost wouldn't expect to read a story like this in a children's fairy tale, with princesses being kidnapped and "rescued" etc.

midlander12

It looks increasingly like the whole Robinson visit was a set-up from start to finish, probably part of an ongoing cat-and-mouse game between Haya and her husband ('you pull this stunt for me and I'll consider letting you have the kids' sort of thing).
Robinson of course was happy to act the useful idiot, as so many left-liberal politicians are, for wealthy Islamists and the like.

Now that Haya has broken up with her husband and admitted that the official version on Latifa was a load of cack, Robinson looks at best idiotic and at worst recklessly negligent, in terms of her pronouncing a vulnerable and victimised woman to be 'troubled' and 'getting appropriate care'. Her reputation is permanently damaged by this escapade and if she has any sense she will quietly decide that in her mid-70's it's time to put up her feet and spend more time on less 'worthy' pursuits.

seanof

It looks increasingly like the whole Robinson visit was a set-up from start to finish, probably part of an ongoing cat-and-mouse game between Haya and her husband ('you pull this stunt for me and I'll consider letting you have the kids' sort of thing).
Robinson of course was happy to act the useful idiot, as so many left-liberal politicians are, for wealthy Islamists and the like.

Now that Haya has broken up with her husband and admitted that the official version on Latifa was a load of cack, Robinson looks at best idiotic and at worst recklessly negligent, in terms of her pronouncing a vulnerable and victimised woman to be 'troubled' and 'getting appropriate care'. Her reputation is permanently damaged by this escapade and if she has any sense she will quietly decide that in her mid-70's it's time to put up her feet and spend more time on less 'worthy' pursuits.
Robinson's reputation was permanently damaged when she showed contempt for the office of President by failing to complete her term in Office. The Dubai affair confirms her self-serving nature and shallowness of character.

midlander12

Robinson's reputation was permanently damaged when she showed contempt for the office of President by failing to complete her term in Office. The Dubai affair confirms her self-serving nature and shallowness of character.
In fairness she only left the presidency about a month before her term ended, to take up a senior UN post. I don't agree this showed 'contempt for the office of President'. I thought she was a reasonably good President within the limited confines of the role. I think her reputation since then has been somewhat mixed (with a weakness against Islamism showing during the famous Durban conference), but since she ceased to hold the UN Commissioner role she seems to have morphed into an unelected and unsolicited commentator on all things 'worthy'. However the Dubai episode has I believe shredded her credibility.

Myler

the Dubai episode has I believe shredded her credibility.
You keep seeing that picture of her, all smiles beside a nonplussed Latifa. With, am I remembering right, Haya out of camera shot in all of the pictures?

Do horsey people have non-horsey friends?

And Mary was so emphatic

"On my arrival in Dubai I received extensive briefings and it was clear to me that Princess Haya had particular concern for the welfare of Sheikha Latifa whom she described as troubled and quite vulnerable."

"I had lunch with her. She's a very likeable young woman but clearly troubled, clearly needs the medical care that she is receiving"

gijoe

The assumption that the Maktoums are 'rolling in it' is wide of the mark. The only thing Dubai is rolling in is debt. Dubai itself does not have major oil or gas deposits, that's the next door neighbours in Abu Dhabi. Dubai had to get a circa $10billion bailout from Abu Dhabi at the time of the financial crisis. It has also been long speculated that Emirates has been having it's fuel bill subsidised to artificially show it making profits. Both Emirates and Ethihad are restructuring as the new Boeing 787 and Airbus 350 aircraft eliminate the need for big hubs as these really fuel efficient aircraft make point to point traffic much more economic. Dubai is only one crisis away from a major collapse and debt default.

yosef shompeter

It's a classic who knew what when. Was Mary Robinson really as innocent and believing (or dumb) as she portrays herself to be on television? What form of.... ummm psychiatric treatment did she "observe" during her breakfast with Latifa?
A separate question must be whether she received any benefits or benefits in kind from here liaison or during her visit to Dubai. Is there the suggestion of something underhand? Not at all. A contribution to her charity simultaneous with her Pr and observation... well it could be written off as one big mistake on her part. Yes it's a shame she didn't distance herself from it in some way.

So we live in a free world... Just make sure your daddy or in-laws don't smother you in love and send you to the gorm.

Well where can I buy a ticket for othe court case? It's going to give Daddy Makhtoom the thing he doesn't want at all -- publicity in glorious technicolour on the big wide screen. Oh! don't forget Princess Shamsa as well as Latifa and Haya

Baron von Biffo

In fairness she only left the presidency about a month before her term ended, to take up a senior UN post. I don't agree this showed 'contempt for the office of President'. I thought she was a reasonably good President within the limited confines of the role. I think her reputation since then has been somewhat mixed (with a weakness against Islamism showing during the famous Durban conference), but since she ceased to hold the UN Commissioner role she seems to have morphed into an unelected and unsolicited commentator on all things 'worthy'. However the Dubai episode has I believe shredded her credibility.
Even leaving a day before her term would have been disrespectful. And that's before her inauguration speech when she said she would be president for 'mna na hEireann', her multiple Art. 26 referrals (when as a constitutional lawyer she knew the stakes) and her vanity addresses to the Houses of the Oireachtas.

Easily our worst ever President.

Myler

Robinson tells IWLA oil and gas investment is ‘stupid’
About as stupid as walking into the middle of someone else's divorce.

Former infantry soldier Russell Flowers is the man reported to have had inappropriate contact' with the princess, sparking the £4.5bn divorce.

Asked about the rumoured friendship lasting three years and suggestions that he will be named in divorce proceedings, he said: 'I have got nothing to say on the matter.'
But never shy about giving us the benefit of her experience.

when I was growing up, being an elder, we learned to darn, we learned to sew, we learned to sew buttons. My four brothers had hand-me-down clothes right down to the youngest
Ah, yeah, I'm sure training in these household skills continued when she went to Mount Anville

At €5,100 per year, the secondary school was less expensive than Alexandra College in Milltown, she said, and cheaper too than St Andrew’s College in Booterstown, which caters for both boys and girls.

yosef shompeter

Ummm... the more I think on this story... the question keeps coming up, who is telling the truth, who is not telling the truth...
And some initial questions.
Who and where is Latifa's mother? Did Mary Robinson Not[/] have a word with Latifa's motherconcerning Latifa when she was over making her observation?
Yes, on the question of being in need of psychiatric care, in that photo of Mary and Latifa having breakfast, compared to the pre-escape video Latifa put up on Youtube ... yes she does look like she is in need of pscychiatric care. She looks a bit bombed out all right.
The joke going around Dublin back in the old days was: If you land in the Gorm (funny farm) .: "Make sure to take the soup, whatever you do!". .... because if you didn't take it, you'll get it anyway! :(
Obviously Latifa has a drug problem... so she needs a pscychiatrist :(

I'm curious as to another aspect: Princess Shassa was bundlef back home from England.. maybe with the cooperation of the British bobbies... back in 2000.
Latifa planned her exit for seven years and used a motor driven thing and scuba gear to get to an offshore yacht and then on to Goa where the Indian coastguard was waiting for her.
How did Princess Haya simply come swanning over to Europe with both her kids and 31 million? Did they swim three miles out to an awaiting yacht too? :)

If Mary has allowed herself to be used, or misused in providing a blessing to the "treatment" of Princess Latifa, then she should come out and say it. She should also say was their any money involved -- or contributions to her save the world charity...
It's all so open and before the cameras and oh all so private and family matter.
But family out there has a different meaning. A forty year old getting her excitement in a loving relationship with a seventy year old stallion who as five others to attend to ...
mighty fishy.
Particularly the part about suddenly discovering afterwards that Latifa was imprisoned and tortured.
I think Mary got a bit close to Islam... well that's where the money is :(

yosef shompeter

So then, Mary pleading for "dumb"
Haya pleading for "dumb but got wise"
It's up to Latifa and her mother to present themselves in neutral venue such as Switzerland for medical examination.
Well Pappy al Makhtoum allow this?
I don't think the wimmin's liberationi give a flying f...

Cailleach

So then, Mary pleading for "dumb"
Haya pleading for "dumb but got wise"
It's up to Latifa and her mother to present themselves in neutral venue such as Switzerland for medical examination.
Well Pappy al Makhtoum allow this?
I don't think the wimmin's liberationi give a flying f...
I agree with you; it appears that Latifa and her sister Shamsa (who has been 'disappeared' for years) are not only the pawns of their father but are being used as pawns by two women who, by their education, wealth and power, are equally if not more culpable.

Sheikh whatever-his-name will continue to do as sheikhs do; number whatever wife Haya and b1oody Mary Robinson are, I believe, more reprehensible in their use/abuse of Shamsa and Latifa.

It isn't relevant that all of them are wealthy - if freedom to think, travel, live your life is denied the difference between a hovel and a gilded cage is essentially relative.

Barroso

In fairness she only left the presidency about a month before her term ended, to take up a senior UN post. I don't agree this showed 'contempt for the office of President'. I thought she was a reasonably good President within the limited confines of the role.
A supporter of Robinson as president, I felt that she did a good job within the confines of the post. However, I was very disappointed that she left the job early.
I thought it showed a large degree of disrespect for her electorate, and for the country whose president whe was.
[/QUOTE] I think her reputation since then has been somewhat mixed (with a weakness against Islamism showing during the famous Durban conference), but since she ceased to hold the UN Commissioner role she seems to have morphed into an unelected and unsolicited commentator on all things 'worthy'. However the Dubai episode has I believe shredded her credibility.
[/QUOTE]Yes, it appears that she believes herself qualified to issue judgements of a psychological nature. On the basis of having breakfast with someone, no less. Rather worrying really; she is now definitely past her sell-by date, and is giving off quite a pong.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies