Mary Robinson

yosef shompeter

Looks like the foundation is winding down after playing a "key" role in shuffling papers and reports around the world.

Did we sub this?

The notion that we irish should pay 3rd world dictators for polluting the world, and taking all their spare people, wasn't ever going to get a single vote anywhere.

In January 2018 the Board of Trustees of the Foundation announced their decision to scale back activities at the end of 2018 and undertake a planned closedown of operations, to be completed by March 2019.

The Board made this decision knowing that as a direct result of the Foundation’s activities since 2010 climate justice has gone from being effectively a taboo topic to being an approach to climate decision-making and action that is people-centered, rights-informed and fair. Climate justice is supported as a concept by a growing academic literature and in practice by new funding streams from governments and philanthropy. It is now a concept and language that different actors in the world of development, climate change and human rights coalesce around to find commonalities rather than differences.

The Foundation is grateful to all the people and organisations who have supported its work to advance climate justice. Without this broad coalition the Foundation would not have been able to play a key part in realising ten binding decisions or resolutions at the United Nations level that reflect principles of climate justice.

Well Mary's Climate protection thrust was good. Along with all the other societies: The Greens, Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth, all played and are playing a part. And we musn't forget the Scandinavian teenage girl Gretta who managed to galvanize the press.

It's not that the Powers-that-be did not know of the dangers to the climate, I can recall way back in the late 80's, early nineties that on the BBC there was a moderator called James Burke who put the whole thing of carbon footprint in a nutshell.
But do a flashback to the 70's. The first signs of the Ozone Hole deteriorating began to filter through in the media. Big business, especially the DuPont company put up a strident resistance to any regulation or interference but as the evidence kept accumulating of the Ozone Hole's expansion things began to heat up. Then Reagan got into power and he stonewalled against any government regulation. Finally once he was gone people and nations got serious about cleaning it all up. The world was lucky. There was enough time available to change course.
Now fast-forward to this new millennium 2019 and a population of nearly 8 Billion and the evidence of man-made Global Climatic change mounting. The argument of climate change is still raging. The evidence is unmistakable that it's getting chaotic. Rasher may bring up arguments and observations that it might be getting colder, but I think the time for arguing is over. The argument may now be do we have enough time to retool and what will the cost be.
... and what will the costs of keeping on down the fossil-fuel-burning route be :(

What a diversion/ distraction...
Suffice to say that Mary is probably passed the sell-by date now. She did a good job standing up to the anti contraceptive Catholic establishment in her time as Labour Senator TD. This Latifa thing? She was played for a sucker and big-time. the fact that she hasn't come out and admitted it shows that she's ripe for retirement.

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No
///

What a diversion/ distraction...
Suffice to say that Mary is probably passed the sell-by date now. She did a good job standing up to the anti contraceptive Catholic establishment in her time as Labour Senator TD. This Latifa thing? She was played for a sucker and big-time. the fact that she hasn't come out and admitted it shows that she's ripe for retirement.

Yep. Many board members were "former..."

Robbo did do us all good until about 1999. Of the generation that believes that headlines make all the differ.

Probably meant well with latifa but the Gulf is full of control freaks.

Cailleach

Strangely written piece I've just come upon but it does mention Her Nibs ..

Finbar10

Strangely written piece I've just come upon but it does mention Her Nibs ..
That's a gas site alright! Clicked on one of the side articles on Princess Haya. It's pretty much standard "News of the World" type tittle-tattle but through kind of a peculiar Gulf conservative Islamic lens! Weird mix. :)

soubresauts

That's a gas site alright! Clicked on one of the side articles on Princess Haya. It's pretty much standard "News of the World" type tittle-tattle but through kind of a peculiar Gulf conservative Islamic lens! Weird mix. :)
Not just weird, it makes some shocking claims. Like:
"Sheikh Maktoum’s daughter Sheikha Latifa was murdered in February 2019 by the female maids in the palace."

It's time for Mary Robinson to make another trip to Dubai to have breakfast with Latifa, and she should request the presence of Shamsa as well.

Wouldn't Sheikh Mohammed be delighted to see Mary again? No?

Levellers

Robinson claims she went in order to arrange for the Princess to flee a la Scarlet Pimpernel.

Naw. I don't believe it either!

Finbar10

Not just weird, it makes some shocking claims. Like:
"Sheikh Maktoum’s daughter Sheikha Latifa was murdered in February 2019 by the female maids in the palace."

It's time for Mary Robinson to make another trip to Dubai to have breakfast with Latifa, and she should request the presence of Shamsa as well.

Wouldn't Sheikh Mohammed be delighted to see Mary again? No?
Honestly, that site is full of over-the-top tittle-tattle from "reliable sources". :) From a quick look at some articles now, "born-pervert" Haya evidently likes her lovers to take sex-prolonging drugs, one of her children isn't really the biological son of the Sheikh, has had at least two abortions, considered using a contract killer to eliminate the wife of her bodyguard lover, was drugged by her stepmother from a young age so maids assigned to her could turn her into a lesbian! :) I'd suspect some of the lives of the UAE royals are fairly sordid, but still!

midlander12

Honestly, that site is full of over-the-top tittle-tattle from "reliable sources". :) From a quick look at some articles now, "born-pervert" Haya evidently likes her lovers to take sex-prolonging drugs, one of her children isn't really the biological son of the Sheikh, has had at least two abortions, considered using a contract killer to eliminate the wife of her bodyguard lover, was drugged by her stepmother from a young age so maids assigned to her could turn her into a lesbian! :) I'd suspect some of the lives of the UAE royals are fairly sordid, but still!
Dreadful stuff, like a kind of Muslim 'Sunday World. They actually claim both missing princesses are dead, one from the drugs she was being administered and the other beaten to death. Of course, the bould Sheikh could easily disprove this by producing both alive and well, but I'd say we'll be waiting for that.

This bit is interesting though:-

'It may be mentioned here that, when the Dubai ruler made a phone call to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the request of stopping the yacht, rescuing Sheikha Latifa and sending her back to Dubai, the Indian Prime Minister readily complied with the request. It is further learnt that the Indian Prime Minister had considered this as an “excellent opportunity” for him and his party. Later, the generous Dubai ruler had secretly donated millions of dollars to Narendra Modi and his party.

Prior to the operation by the Indian-UAE joint forces, an intelligence official told Prime Minister Narendra Modi that attacking an US-flag carrier yacht would have international consequences as it was a clear violation of the international laws, a proud Narendra Modi said, “America cannot afford any quarrel with India centring such minor issue”.

Narendra Modi’s anticipation was correct. The United States did not utter a word about this gross violation of the international maritime law and attacking an American-flag carrier yacht. Moreover, Dubai’s ruler Sheikh Mohammed Maktoum had exerted all his influence and even used his international contacts to ensure, nothing went wrong centring the matter. He also had received cooperation from Princess Haya in hiring Mary Robinson, who flew to Dubai to tell the world, Sheikha Latifa was safe and was with her family.'

So both the Indian and US far-right administrations turned a blind eye to this abduction, and the Indians at least were probably bribed to do so. If this is even partially true it makes Robinson look like a gullible nodding dog. At least I hope that's all she was.

soubresauts

The Guardian has a decent podcast on the Princess Haya and Latifa cases:
Why do Dubai's princesses keep trying to run away? – podcast

This American article is also pretty good.

And, in case you haven't heard it, Marian Finucane's interview with Princess Haya, in January, a couple of weeks after Mary Robinson's visit to Dubai:

Whatever happens, the reputations of Sheikh Mohammed and Mary Robinson are irretrievably damaged.

Let's hope that Latifa and Shamsa survive and come out of it in one piece.

yosef shompeter

I put the blame squarely on social media :geek:

Half in jest. But in all earnestness, would you like to live your life confined to a golden cage where your parents and bothers and uncles decided everything about your destiny?
Then when you tune in to outside media -- not just Western... Eastern too and see the freedoms that other young women and men enjoyed.... go figure.

Back in the 80s I met a middle aged man, -- an Iranian -- who was seeking asylum. He freely admitted to me that no one was persecuting him. He had a somewhat privileged job. He just wanted to enjoy life. Go to the opera, things like that. Under the Ayatollahs he was expected to pray five times a day! He had spent a lot of his youth in the US many years previous.
Likewise the many waves of migration from Africa and the Middle East. Only a tiny percentage end up being recognized as really persecuted. But Facebook and social media have set off the herd instinct. And once that takes hold, it's very hard to stop.
Things would be much nicer if they brought their own money with them. :(

I find it fascinating that the Arab world have their very own version of the Daily Mirror/ the Sun and they go jousting with and sniping at the absolute rulers.
I'm surprised that the rulers don't do a "Charlie Hebdo" on these upstarts! :)

soubresauts

Mary Robinson is keeping a low profile these days. Don't expect her to answer all those burning questions about Latifa and Haya.

Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum on the other hand is keeping his profile high (and keeping his hair and beard carefully dyed) at the Keeneland Yearling Sales auction in Kentucky. He spent big today -- several seven-figure purchases, including one for $4.1 million! (These are one-year-old thoroughbred horses, unraced and unproven.)

SM is pictured there with English trainer John Gosden who trains horses for, among others, several members of the Maktoum family. Interestingly, some of those horses run in the colours of Princess Haya. I'd say this is the last year you'll see those colours in action.

Gosden is a sociable and tactful kind of man, so I'm sure he avoids comments and questions about the women in SM's life. Still, you'd imagine he cannot help hearing about Haya, Latifa and Shamsa... Wouldn't he be tempted to ask SM sometime: "Say, Mo, why don't you just let Latifa and her sister go and join their friends in America or wherever? Wouldn't it save you a lot of trouble and bad publicity?"

SM's agent in the biggest bidding contest stated: "Luckily we're under the leadership of Sheikh Mohammed and he's a decisive man and completely in control. He’s the one who makes these decisions and in this particular case he told me to continue." Completely in control? In control of a lot of money, but little else.

You might have noticed the vignette about SM's "family plane", parked at the airport nearby. Certainly it can accommodate all of SM's huge family, especially when certain female members are bound to be excluded.

67995-large.jpg

New Threads

Most Replies