• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mary Upton not to seek re-election

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Labour TD for Dublin South Central Mary Upton has just announced that she won't be contesting the next General Election.

Statement by Mary Upton TD...

"This afternoon I advised the Leader of the Labour Party, Eamon Gilmore TD, that I will not be seeking re-election as a Labour Party TD for Dublin South Central.

"It has been a great privilege and honour to serve the people of Dublin South Central as a Deputy for the past eleven years. I have greatly enjoyed my time in the Dail and it has been a very rewarding experience working with other members of the Parliamentary Labour Party.

"However, I believe that now is the right time for me to stand down and make way for others. The Labour Party is at its highest level ever in the opinion polls and I believe that Dublin South Central can return two Labour Party Deputies at the next election.

"I intend to continue to serve the people of Dublin South Central up the dissolution of the Dail and I will do all in my power during the election campaign to maximise the Labour Party vote in the constituency.

"I want to thank the voters of Dublin South Central for their support for me in the 1999 by-election and the two subsequent general elections. I particularly want to pay tribute to the Labour Party members in Dublin South Central for their support and assistance over the years."

ManOfReason

Eric Byrne must be a shoe in next GE (finally)

johnfás

She'll be trying to promote Henry Upton to take the seat. They regularly distribute joint newsletters. It was Henry's father's seat (Pat Upton) which Mary took on his death. Mary being Pat's sister.

jayblue

looking at the 07 results and the 09 locals have to agree Eric Byrne must be on his way back to the Dail

johnfás

Maybe Alex White will run in the constituency. As far as I know Alex White lives in DSC although he has always run in DS.

PUFF DADDY

That's 3 female tds planning to resign now after the next GE

Expose the lot of them

Eric Byrne must be a shoe in next GE (finally)
Certainly hope so.

She is very popular with the voters in "old" Terenure the rest of the SC mob don't bother with us. Noel O'Gara took possession of the public car park in Terenure recently. He erected signs, took the DCC ticket machine out of commission and installed two of his stooges to collect money from people parking. The Garda have been called on several occasions but as it is a "civil" matter will not take any action. Eric and Mary are the only two who have taken any interest in the affair. The HSE has the freehold and DCC operate the car park under licence, O'Gara's claim is nonsense but getting DCC and the HSE to get their acts together and get an injunction to stop him has proved extremely difficult.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
STATEMENT BY EAMON GILMORE TD
Leader of the Labour Party
Tuesday, 21 September, 2010

GILMORE PRAISES MARY UPTON'S RECORD

Mary Upton TD advised me today that it was her intention not to seek re-election as a Labour Party TD for Dublin South Central.

Mary has been an outstanding representative for the people of Dublin South Central since she was first elected in the 1999 by-election. She was an able and articulate Deputy and a very effective spokesperson originally in Agriculture and later in Tourism, Culture and Sport who has made a great contribution to the Labour Party. Mary has been particularly active in the policy area, having produced three major policy documents for the Labour Party within the past twelve months within her area of Tourism, Culture and Sport.

While the retirement of such a competent and experienced parliamentarian will be a loss, I know that there are a number of able public representatives within the Labour Party in Dublin South Central and I am confident that we will be able to win two seats there at the next election.

On behalf of the Labour Party I want to thank Mary for her service and to wish her well in the future.

johnfás

Certainly hope so.

She is very popular with the voters in "old" Terenure the rest of the SC mob don't bother with us. Noel O'Gara took possession of the public car park in Terenure recently. He erected signs, took the DCC ticket machine out of commission and installed two of his stooges to collect money from people parking. The Garda have been called on several occasions but as it is a "civil" matter will not take any action. Eric and Mary are the only two who have taken any interest in the affair. The HSE has the freehold and DCC operate the car park under licence, O'Gara's claim is nonsense but getting DCC and the HSE to get their acts together and get an injunction to stop him has proved extremely difficult.
Gay Mitchell obviously used to take alot of interest in "our end" of the constituency because he lived down near the village. However, FG have definately moved further towards Crumlin with Catherine Byrne now incumbent. As I said, I think Alex White lives near enough the KCR so he would definately catch the Terenure end of the constituency if he wanted to run here rather than DS. However, there aren't actually that many people in that end of the constituency as a proportion of the overall lot.

Agree with you on the general point though, very few candidates in DSC even both canvassing the Terenure end. We rarely get a knock on the door at election time.

jackryan

She is my local TD she is an excellent rep. and will be sadly missed! It'll be some dogfight in the Labour camp! It'll help to push towards 2 seats but it might make 3 even more difficult to do. Mary got a personal vote too which depends who is on the ticket could slip away! Moynihan byrne conaghan would be best geographical but can the party afford to leave an Upton off the ticket?

drjimryan2

and drjim will repeat himself (again)..............

they might have the polls, they dont have the candidates........

and if (just) the polls hold...........

a dail of dummies, all over the place = nothing done, more lives to ruin......

the bonds will hit 12...

Malbekh

Looks like the next Dail will be the worst in terms of female representation. A fitting comment on our gombeen party political statelet (with due deference to Mary Coughlan).

I'm afraid it has to be quotas.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
Byrne, Moynihan, Upton... you heard it here first.....
I though Conaghan was already pretty much assured of being on the ticket?

My preference would have been Byrne Moynihan & Conaghan, running 3 men in a constituency with a good female candidate just to run a male member of a 'dynasty' wouldn't go down too well with a lot of LP voters, although presumably Upton will have the votes at convention.

His performance in the LEs was good enough, but well behind Byrne in the same ward. I suppose the theory would be that he'd also get votes in Terenue etc (not sure how far south the boundary goes now?).

Does anyone know when the convention is scheduled?

jackryan

I though Conaghan was already pretty much assured of being on the ticket?

My preference would have been Byrne Moynihan & Conaghan, running 3 men in a constituency with a good female candidate just to run a male member of a 'dynasty' wouldn't go down too well with a lot of LP voters, although presumably Upton will have the votes at convention.

His performance in the LEs was good enough, but well behind Byrne in the same ward. I suppose the theory would be that he'd also get votes in Terenue etc (not sure how far south the boundary goes now?).

Does anyone know when the convention is scheduled?
A 4 person ticket? bit risky but might stop any divisions!