• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mary White in racism row!

timetochange

Website
www.facebook.com
Today I was listening to news talk, were they had a councillor Paddy Kiely speaking after he had a row over refugees in Ireland. Mary White at the meeting accused him of racism and called for his resignation. after he said we should tighten out refugee laws especially under the current economic situation. he feels we should look after our own first. that we should be using houses in NAMA for people on the housing list first and foremost.

found this article and podcast
Racism row as councillor says
Newstalk 106-108fm Media Player

I personally think he has a point, we should look after our own first then look after refugees. also we should speed up the process and figure out those who are in dire need from those chancing their arm.

Asparagus

So you think that "White is right"?

and who's the racist?

timetochange

Website
www.facebook.com
I said he is right, so no I don't think Mary white is right nor do I think any one was being racist.

Read the article and listen to the podcast!

markjbloggs

Stifling debate on immigration or other issues by immediately playing the racism card has become quite common recently. I remember a few years ago a UK journalist was on RTE radio discussing the welfare of black footballers in England and was jumped all over with accusations of racism by Des Cahill. Cahill really came out of it looking a lightweight moron, no surprise there.

Not sure what my point is, maybe I'm afraid to make one in case I get jumped on too....

The Caped Cod

Odd that, where does the word "immigrant" infer that the person is of another race? If anything, the person who assumes all immigrants are of another race is the one exhibiting the most evident signs of racism.

timetochange

Website
www.facebook.com
Stifling debate on immigration or other issues by immediately playing the racism card has become quite common recently. I remember a few years ago a UK journalist was on RTE radio discussing the welfare of black footballers in England and was jumped all over with accusations of racism by Des Cahill. Cahill really came out of it looking a lightweight moron, no surprise there.

Not sure what my point is, maybe I'm afraid to make one in case I get jumped on too....
I know what you mean, I do think she over reacted though and it was uncalled for accusing him of racism.

truth of the matter is,he said what an awful lot of people are thinking. that does not mean we are racist for thinking it, just that we should prioritise and look after our own first.
creeping way to hide!!!! :?

Asparagus

I said he is right, so no I don't think Mary white is right nor do I think any one was being racist.

Read the article and listen to the podcast!
sorry i was poking fun at racists and mary white...

i'll have a listen later...

bob3344

Accusing people of racism is generally shorthand for saying 'I have absolutely no argument to offer, so I am going to try & shut the conversation down completely by name calling - a tactic which worked quite well for me in junior infants'.

Twin Towers

Mary White should get out along with a news camera and ask the people whose money she is happy to trouser what they think.

She won't of course.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Mary White is utterly and completely clueless. I have in the past posted about an interview she did on Newstalk, where as minister for integration, she was being interviewed.

When a listener contributed a comment, pointing out that those in the state illegally should be deported, Mary White rather astonishingly said that "all opinions should be taken into account". All opinions? Someone who is here illegally is not entitled to the same protection and benefits as a legal worker with a permit. They are not and should not be entiteld to be percived as the same as legal workers.

Simularly bogus asylum seekers are not the same as legitimate asylum seekers. In her position which to a large degree informs government policy on the issues surrounding Asylum and immigration, Mary White holds the view that the differance between bogus asylum seekers and legitimate asylum seekers, illegal immigrants and legal ones is a matter of 'opinion'.

Mary White utterly and completely clueless and living in la-la land. That someone like her should be appointed to a position of responsibility and can hold such opinions, contrary to and ignoring legal definitions, is a reflection of how out of touch the government is who appointed her.

TD Mary White is a joke.

Twin Towers

Racism row as councillor says

From the Carlow Nationalist:

Cllr Arthur McDonald then waded into the row, adding: “We need to get our priorities in order. The whole system has to be reformed. This bleeding heart thing has to stop. Let’s feed our own ... we’re all half-starving here.”

Mary White is not half starving here, she's stuffing her trolley at your expense.

Casualbets

Both Paddy Kiely and Mary White are wrong. Mary White is wrong in that Paddy Kiely wasn't being racist, while the council chamber isn't the place for a rant on issues the Council doesn't have competence on.

Both parties went off at half **** in my estimation.

Cato

Casualbets said:
Both Paddy Kiely and Mary White are wrong. Mary White is wrong in that Paddy Kiely wasn't being racist, while the council chamber isn't the place for a rant on issues the Council doesn't have competence on.

Both parties went off at half **** in my estimation.
I'm in agreement with a FFer! I feel all dirty and in need of a wash.

Casualbets

I'm in agreement with a FFer! I feel all dirty and in need of a wash.
Sounds like "Fianna Fail" are like "drunken, meaningless, random sex"....

You don't like us, you don't agree with us in principle, you feel all dirty and in need of a wash after falling for our charms, but despite your protestations you keep coming back to us ;)

Last edited:

stripey cat

Sounds like "Fianna Fail" are like "drunken, meaningless, random sex"....

You don't like us, you don't agree with us in principle, you feel all dirty and in need of a wash after falling for our charms, but despite your protestations you keep coming back to us ;)
Emptying our wallets, and ruining our health in the process...

It's the analogy that just keeps giving.

Broke

Accusing people of racism is generally shorthand for saying 'I have absolutely no argument to offer, so I am going to try & shut the conversation down completely by name calling - a tactic which worked quite well for me in junior infants'.
You hit the nail on the head/mention the word racist puts the fear of god into people and the conversation will end.Its pc gone mad.People should be able to talk about immigrants in a constructive way if they want to.

DaveMc

Mary White is wearing her rose tinted glasses on this issue.

With cutbacks forecast in every government department she proposes to increase payments to immigrant groups in the country by 50% this year (up from 34,000 euro to 50,000)

Meetings with these groups are ongoing at present in ‘secret’ behind closed doors with no media invited so that details of how yours and my taxes can be distributed to our foreign ‘cousins’.

On a somewhat related matter; local radio in Cork reported that the source of a TB outbreak at Crab Lane national school was a student from the African continent. This report was quickly buried when the racism card was played.

Will any media outlet seek information on these secret meetings under FoI? I doubt it as reporting such would ensure the racist card being played.

Banks, immigrants, corruption, gombeenism, the ‘hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil’ culture still exists in Ireland. Opps, guess posting the above makes me a racist.

gijoe

After becoming a Junior Minister Mary White suggested that travellers should be allowed to elect their own TD - electing TD's on whether they are travellers or not basis, if that is not racist I do not know what is?