Maskey shafts Norris for callling IRA out over queer bashing.

automaticforthepeople

Alex Maskey SF MLA has taken to twitter the SF medium of choice for shooting themselves in the foot to comment on remarks made by Senator David Norris where he points out that the IRA knee capped people in Belfast because they were gay.

Mr Maskey isn't quite clear about why he feels the comments by Senator Norris are reprehensible. He describes it as contemptuous. However Mr Maskey doesn't actually say that the claims are wrong or not based on any facts.

The Republican Movement did attack women who were heterosexual and who were dating men who may have been protestant or members of the security forces. Why would they not have attacked people who were gay?

In particular Senator Norris noted that the queer bashing was particularly evident as recently as 30 years ago in Derry where Martin McGuinness held sway in the Republican Movement.

While its great to see that SF now accept that gay people have human rights, perhaps an apology to the LGBT Community rather than an attempt to distract from those who speak up might be a bit more 21st century?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/backlash-over-ira-kneecapped-gays-comment-but-senator-norris-stands-by-claim-36618934.html

http://shura.shu.ac.uk/6014/4/Duggan

flavirostris

Wasn't Adams trying to soak up as much kudos from the SSM vote for himself as possible. He was all over that. Up at the announcement of the result in Dublin Castle etc.

runwiththewind

Has Norris any proof of this? Seems a certain segment of Irish society are circling the wagons.

Mushroom

Niall996

Alex Maskey SF MLA has taken to twitter the SF medium of choice for shooting themselves in the foot to comment on remarks made by Senator David Norris where he points out that the IRA knee capped people in Belfast because they were gay.

Mr Maskey isn't quite clear about why he feels the comments by Senator Norris are reprehensible. He describes it as contemptuous. However Mr Maskey doesn't actually say that the claims are wrong or not based on any facts.

The Republican Movement did attack women who were heterosexual and who were dating men who may have been protestant or members of the security forces. Why would they not have attacked people who were gay?

In particular Senator Norris noted that the queer bashing was particularly evident as recently as 30 years ago in Derry where Martin McGuinness held sway in the Republican Movement.

While its great to see that SF now accept that gay people have human rights, perhaps an apology to the LGBT Community rather than an attempt to distract from those who speak up might be a bit more 21st century?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/backlash-over-ira-kneecapped-gays-comment-but-senator-norris-stands-by-claim-36618934.html

http://shura.shu.ac.uk/6014/4/Duggan

But the Loyalists hacked people to death for being opposed to paedophilia.

Levellers

Norris had more to fear in terms of being attacked for being gay by his unionist terrorists.

He has had an anti-Republican agenda all his life.

Strawberry

As recently as 30 years ago, eh? Its a good job Irish society was totally egalitarian and gay friendly 30 years ago or we might just think the Republicans shared the same prejudices as the rest of us at the time.

GDPR

I have read a good bit about the Troubles and I have never come across this before. I'm sure if it was true we would have heard about it until the cows come home. The thing is that Norris is one of these lads who wants to get rid of the Age of Consent laws so he is probably talking about vigilante actions against kiddie fiddlers.

between the bridges

Gays and lesbians face oppression daily from family, comrades, neighbours and friends due to the irrational fear of and of deep prejudice against homosexuality.

The most direct expressions of such homophobia are insults, derision and threatened or actual violence. Indirect expressions are sometimes harder to pin down but are nonetheless just as offensive: the pressures to “be what you are but keep it secret and don’t rock the boat”. This is nothing short of moral blackmail as it is usually accompanied by comments like “What will the family think?”, or “It will harm the Movement/struggle”. Thus gays/lesbians are forced into invisibility within both the community and the Republican Movement.

Brendí McClenaghan, IRA prisoner 1991

between the bridges

As recently as 30 years ago, eh? Its a good job Irish society was totally egalitarian and gay friendly 30 years ago or we might just think the Republicans shared the same prejudices as the rest of us at the time.
Did ye knee cap many gays?...

mac tíre

The IRA did not attack someone because they were heterosexual.
The IRA did not attack someone because they were Gay.

Now, if Norris or the OP could back their claims up with some examples we might be able to discuss it. But since it was pulled out of their holes that won't happen.

Mickeymac

Norris had more to fear in terms of being attacked for being gay by his unionist terrorists.

He has had an anti-Republican agenda all his life.

The creator of the thread is renowned for such trolling, check out his threads/

I agree with the Dutchman.......ZOO

GDPR

Now, if Norris or the OP could back their claims up with some examples we might be able to discuss it. But since it was pulled out of their holes that won't happen.
Didn't it attack girls who dating or supposedly dating members of the security forces in the early years of the Troubles? That part of what automaticforthepeople said is correct.

Strawberry

Did ye knee cap many gays?...
No, I wasn't allowed to have a gun when I was four. My parents were very fussy that way.

There was a gay man murdered in Dublin by serving members of the Irish Defense Forces, and they were let off with a slap on the wrist because of their victim's sexuality. That's the Ireland we're talking about, maybe David Norris should look closer to home.

mac tíre

Didn't it attack girls who dating or supposedly dating members of the security forces in the early years of the Troubles? That part of what automaticforthepeople said is correct.
So they were attacked because they were heterosexual? Or was it that they were with Crown Forces?

This should be easy - you put the answer in your reply.

:roll:

Mickeymac

Since April 21 last year I have been asking the creator of this latest troll thread to supply evidence of his spurious allegations contained in the thread he started last April.......needless to say......still waiting.:D

GDPR

So they were attacked because they were heterosexual? Or was it that they were with Crown Forces?

This should be easy - you put the answer in your reply.

:roll:
I don't think he said that they were attacked for being heterosexual, rather for being heterosexual with the wrong people. I don't remember that the PIRA ever attacking people for going out with Protestants unlike he suggests.

between the bridges

No, I wasn't allowed to have a gun when I was four. My parents were very fussy that way.

Parents eh!

There was a gay man murdered in Dublin by serving members of the Irish Defense Forces, and they were let off with a slap on the wrist because of their victim's sexuality. That's the Ireland we're talking about, maybe David Norris should look closer to home
Thats fair enough strawbs but others on here seem to think that the Ra was beyond all that...

Paddyc

Gays and lesbians face oppression daily from family, comrades, neighbours and friends due to the irrational fear of and of deep prejudice against homosexuality.

The most direct expressions of such homophobia are insults, derision and threatened or actual violence. Indirect expressions are sometimes harder to pin down but are nonetheless just as offensive: the pressures to “be what you are but keep it secret and don’t rock the boat”. This is nothing short of moral blackmail as it is usually accompanied by comments like “What will the family think?”, or “It will harm the Movement/struggle”. Thus gays/lesbians are forced into invisibility within both the community and the Republican Movement.

Brendí McClenaghan, IRA prisoner 1991
And that's exactly the same as knee capping someone for being gay.

If you were any thicker you'd have to be watered twice a week.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies