"Mass Eviction" from 70 Household Apartment complex ..

robut

Dáil hears 70 households at Cork apartment block facing "mass eviction"

The Dáil has heard that 70 households have been told to quit an apartment block in Cork City.

Cork North Central TD Mick Barry told the house that the owners of the Leeside Apartments on Bachelors Quay are claiming they want to carry out refurbishments on the block.
The Leeside Apartment block is made up of 78 apartments, with space for 175 beds, and a private car park.

The property was sold earlier this year - with the selling agents telling the property section of The Irish Independent that rental income could be increased to over €970,000 through a full refurbishment programme.
70 households at risk of homelessness after being told to leave Cork city apartment block

The Cork apartments at the centre of an alleged “mass eviction” was on the market earlier this year listed as earning €676,000 per annum with “strong potential to increase annual rental income through refurbishment and active asset management”,
The rental income would rise from €676,000 per annum to €970,000 after refurb

Apparently the bulk of refurbishment is public areas, fire doors etc. Could it be done with tenants in situ?

“The following works will be carried out. The installation of new fire doors, the refurbishment of all common areas, installation of new flooring throughout common areas and apartments in the building, refurbishment and redecoration of apartments and installation of new kitchens in apartments”.
Surely the main reason for this eviction is to jack up the rent ( in my opinion from reading )? PROFIT FIRST AND FOREMOST?

A commercial decision AND NOT ILLEGAL via using Refurbishment as reason to evict which is Legal.

I would assume this refurbishment clause in the law, if changed, would sort out things like this? OR is it fair game? Would this occur any where else in Europe?

Last edited:

Mushroom

Lets call a spade a spade .. the ONLY reason for this eviction is the owner wants to jack up the rent. PROFIT FIRST AND FOREMOST.

A commercial decision AND NOT ILLEGAL via using the Refurb get out clause as reason to evict.
More power to them. Profit is why they moved into the property sector - only sponge-brainers believe that landlords should become altruists.

FunkyBoogaloo

Make the landlord pay to rehouse tenants living in the building whilst refurbishments are ongoing.

robut

Apparently via Red FM who contacted company who bought the property .. via email ( I think ) it said its "for the safety of the tenants" because the apartment complex is not up with fire regs.

Last edited:

The_SR

More power to them. Profit is why they moved into the property sector - only sponge-brainers believe that landlords should become altruists.
No-one is saying they should be. But let me guess, you don't rent

FunkyBoogaloo

Apparently via Red FM who contacted company who bought the property .. its for the safety of the tenants because the apartment complex is not up with fire regs.
So, it was sold on the 'open' market as being below living standards, snapped up for a song by a company who knew it was below par who are now intent on refurbishing it and evicting all tenants in the process onto the street.

Make the seller and new owners jointly pay to rehouse all tenants currently residing there.

robut

So, it was sold on the 'open' market as being below living standards, snapped up for a song by a company who knew it was below par who are now intent on refurbishing it and evicting all tenants in the process onto the street.

Make the seller and new owners jointly pay to rehouse all tenants currently residing there.
https://twitter.com/kevosullivan07/status/931109858572685312

@OpinionLine96 it might help if Leeside apartments had an independent fire safety inspection done by the council, as it’s the council through HAP are paying a large chunk of rent. They can’t do that for an “unsafe” building. Council should act!
Your point??

Old Mr Grouser

... I would assume this refurbishment clause in the law, if changed, would sort out things like this? OR is it fair game? Would this occur any where else in Europe?
Similar situations have been discussed here before.

As I understand it the problem is the Irish Constitution and the rights that it gives concerning the ownership of property.

Would a referendum solve the problem?

Uganda

Why should they?

Uganda

Health and Safety.

Be careful what you wish for.

Lúidín

The issue was raised by Mick Barry TD of PBP.

Hopefully he can arrange some direct action to thwart this scheme and unite the various parties and individuals who are outraged at this behaviour.

Last edited:

tigerben

You’d have to wonder why the council didn’t buy it when it was being sold, especially if they are paying majority of rent with HAP. It would have been cheaper in the long run.

LISTOWEL MAN

cue politicians making speeches while not even thinking about taking in a single one of them

cricket

I know that area quite well. Reckon the apartments were built about 15 to 20 years ago. Would they not have had to get safety clearance then ? Surely not too much has changed in the meantime.
More likely to be a ruse to increase rental income.

HenryHorace

I can safely say this is just the beginning of this. The amount of this sort of stuff going on in Dublin is going to explode in 2018. I know of three seperate cases of tenants being given a simple choice between massive rent hikes or eviction for "refurb" purposes.

This is the system FG have created and Leo has spent a fortune on a PR department to deflect blame.

Mushroom

I know that area quite well. Reckon the apartments were built about 15 to 20 years ago. Would they not have had to get safety clearance then ? Surely not too much has changed in the meantime.
More likely to be a ruse to increase rental income.
Yep. Given the government's absurd, populist, anti-landlord legislation it's about the only method by which landlords can increase the rent.

Nonsense of course, but then what can one expect from a minority FG government that is floundering around, out of its depth and dependent on the support of FF and a cluster of mé féin morons to remain in power?

LISTOWEL MAN

Hopefully he can arrange some direct action to thwart this scheme and unite the various parties and individuals who are outraged at the this behaviour.
PBP = Profit By Populism

Uganda

Hopefully he can arrange some direct action to thwart this scheme and unite the various parties and individuals who are outraged at the this behaviour.
I thought he was out in Catalonia on strike?

robut

Tenants evicted at Leeside Apartments will “unquestionably become homeless,” says Green Party

The Green Party in Cork has renewed its call for a referendum on the right to housing as news emerged of a mass eviction of 70 households to take place in the city.

Families and tenants living in the Leeside Apartments on Bachelor’s Quay received notice of eviction to make way for “renovations”. The property is currently for sale by the landlord with “strong potential to increase annual rental income through refurbishment” a key part of the sales booklet.
This part - “unquestionably become homeless,”

To me homeless is thrown out on the street and living in a cardboard box, on a bench, in a doorway or similar.

If these people are evicted and it seems many are on rental assistance etc via some state welfare? .. then they will be rehoused? Or at minimum put into a hotel / guesthouse? They are not going to be homeless in the older definition of the word?

It seems we have redefined the meaning of HOMELESSNESS?

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Tenants evicted at Leeside Apartments will “unquestionably become homeless,” says Green Party

This part - “unquestionably become homeless,”

To me homeless is thrown out on the street and living in a cardboard box, on a bench, in a doorway or similar.

If these people are evicted and it seems many are on rental assistance etc via some state welfare? .. then they will be rehoused? Or at minimum put into a hotel / guesthouse? They are not going to be homeless in the older definition of the word?

It seems we have redefined the meaning of HOMELESSNESS?
Have we? Would you call a hotel or B&B a HOME?

New Threads

Most Replies