Mass immigration: a help or a hindrance to the cause of a united Ireland?

diy01

Will continuing mass immigration North and South increase or decrease the chances of a united Ireland in the future?

I expect changing demographics, particularly in Northern Ireland, will result in fewer and fewer tribal unionists and nationalist/republicans and more individuals who will judge the merits of continuing Union or Irish unity almost exclusively on economic matters.

Every poll from the North over the past five years that I'm aware of shows an increasing minority of Catholics who are content to remain in the UK for the foreseeable future. I suspect that the same is true for ethnic minorities in NI generally, and those in the South who aren't particularly interested in unity. On the other hand, Northern Ireland's first ethnic minority MLA, Anna Lo (since retired from Stormont), believes a united Ireland is inevitable.

My own view before the Brexit referendum was that if a border boll went ahead, 30-35% of votes cast would be in favour of a united Ireland. Assuming Brexit goes ahead within the next three years, I don't think it will have a significant impact on the outcome of any future border poll. I doubt any of us will live to see the emergence of a sovereign, united Ireland.

What do you think?

BBC Border poll survey: Brexit impact on opinions

More than two-thirds of people in the Republic would vote for united Ireland - The Irish News

Will Brexit bring Ireland and Northern Ireland closer together?

'A united Ireland is inevitable,' says former Alliance MLA - Independent.ie

Last edited:

Karloff

A United Ireland is a pipe dream for the long distant future.

Karloff

I agree. But why do you feel that way?
Irish nationhood is practically gone (or heading that way). What's the point of a United Ireland? It would only matter if the Republic (and hypothetical UI) retained full sovereignty, without that it's a hollow symbolic thing. That's not worth going through the aggro that it would involve to bring about a UI - the loyalists ect. A symbolic thing.

Especially as loyalists would resist a symbolic UI as much as a full on sovereign one, they nearly shoot people over a fleg.

People want status quo, peace with equality.

Dame_Enda

Anna Lo is hardly representative of Northern Unionism. I think her views reflect her hurt at the racist incidents she was subjected to.

Once brexit happens that border is going to matter a lot more and partition more entrenched. Economic ties can be expected to be curtailed somewhat as the UK signs trade deals with non EU states.

Truth.ie

If I thought a United Ireland was going to be some vision of Sweden, I wouldn't get out of bed for it.
I'd say a lot of people died for nothing.

ainm_eile

Since Britain is fragmenting, less tribalism is not necessarily a weakness since such people won't feel strongly about winding up the UK. London isn't going to subsidise this nonsense forever in any case, in which case NI will have to start taking the economic implications of partition seriously. Furthermore, a more cosmopolitan country will find it easier to attract FDI which will reduce the reliance on the public sector and boost productivity.

RasherHash

If I thought a United Ireland was going to be some vision of Sweden, I wouldn't get out of bed for it.
I'd say a lot of people died for nothing.
History happpens and people die, what did people in WW1 or 2 die for? nothing changed, the Germans and Japs got pulverised but they're back on top again.

It put a stop to German and Jap militarism but it was just replaced with US/Brit militarism, the same thing.

Brenny

United Ireland will happen when the Brits decide that they'd be better off without that province of strange people.

GDPR

Will continuing mass immigration North and South increase or decrease the chances of a united Ireland in the future?
Mass immigration will make it irrelevant whether there is a United Ireland or not, as once the Native Irish are a minority, Ireland will effectively have come to an end as a nation. But, you may very well see what is now called "Ireland" united under an Islamic Caliphate in the not too distant future.

GDPR

Irish nationhood is practically gone (or heading that way). What's the point of a United Ireland? It would only matter if the Republic (and hypothetical UI) retained full sovereignty, without that it's a hollow symbolic thing. That's not worth going through the aggro that it would involve to bring about a UI - the loyalists ect. A symbolic thing.

Especially as loyalists would resist a symbolic UI as much as a full on sovereign one, they nearly shoot people over a fleg.

People want status quo, peace with equality.

Look what the status quo has brought us. I agree that most people are herd animals that fear any change, but unless we change radically with are facing extinction. Unionists and Nationalists are like bald men fighting over a comb - while they are both being exterminated by low birth rates and mass immigration.

GDPR

We often hear the trendy set going on about how mass immigration will help the Irish language. The reality is very different. I have heard of one school in Dublin that doesn't teach Irish at all now. And in most classes where there is a large number of immigrants, Irish is hardly taught at all. Most of the day is spent trying to teach them English. Immigrant children are even getting exemptions from learning Irish - even in National School.

It's only a matter of time until the Muslims start demanding Arabic classes instead of Irish, and the rapidly expanding immigrant population will join with the West Brits in abolishing compulsory Irish from the schools.

There is no point in talking about a United Ireland when the whole basis of the Irish nation is being systematically destroyed by the so called Irish government itself.

Hunter-Gatherer

Catholics in the North probably get a better deal overall than the South.

Cheaper car tax, lower general taxes, NHS, free school books and school dinners , cheaper housing, a more stable economy without all the NAMA stuff of the South, less corruption, lower rates of crime. Less third-world immigration and getthos springing up around the cities and towns. Less islamification overall up North. Less radical African christian churches springing up on industrial estates.

why would they want to join the banana republic ?

Last edited:

picador

I expect changing demographics, particularly in Northern Ireland, will result in fewer and fewer tribal unionists and nationalist/republicans and more individuals who will judge the merits of continuing Union or Irish unity almost exclusively on economic matters.

Every poll from the North over the past five years that I'm aware of shows an increasing minority of Catholics who are content to remain in the UK for the foreseeable future. I suspect that the same is true for ethnic minorities in NI generally, and those in the South who aren't particularly interested in unity. On the other hand, Northern Ireland's first ethnic minority MLA, Anna Lo (since retired from Stormont), believes a united Ireland is inevitable.

My own view before the Brexit referendum was that if a border boll went ahead, 30-35% of votes cast would be in favour of a united Ireland. Assuming Brexit goes ahead within the next three years, I don't think it will have a significant impact on the outcome of any future border poll. I doubt any of us will live to see the emergence of a sovereign, united Ireland.

What do you think?

More than two-thirds of people in the Republic would vote for united Ireland - The Irish News

Mass-immigration will destroy Ireland, north and south.

Cruimh

What do you think?

http://www.politics.ie/forum/foreign-affairs/250463-can-brexit-deliver-irish-unity.html

http://www.politics.ie/forum/northern-ireland/252063-could-brexit-bring-troubles-back-northern-ireland.html

http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/251871-brexit-do-we-really-want-closer-association-northern-irish-part-brexit-solutuon.html

http://www.politics.ie/forum/northern-ireland/240331-brexit-starters-gun-irish-reunification.html

tsarbomb

The majority of immigrants I have talked to on the matter don't really give a toss about a UI and as a matter of fact a couple expressed unionist views, so the answer is no.

Ardillaun

I'm with the hindrance vote. Immigrants think about their wallets. UI is not on their radar.

Dr Pat

We often hear the trendy set going on about how mass immigration will help the Irish language. The reality is very different. I have heard of one school in Dublin that doesn't teach Irish at all now. And in most classes where there is a large number of immigrants, Irish is hardly taught at all. Most of the day is spent trying to teach them English. Immigrant children are even getting exemptions from learning Irish - even in National School.

It's only a matter of time until the Muslims start demanding Arabic classes instead of Irish, and the rapidly expanding immigrant population will join with the West Brits in abolishing compulsory Irish from the schools.

There is no point in talking about a United Ireland when the whole basis of the Irish nation is being systematically destroyed by the so called Irish government itself.
Not just those who serve in government supporting globalist capitalism and hiding behind globalist left and liberal political correctness but the whole coterie who benefit the most from it, octupus-style.

GDPR

Not just those who serve in government supporting globalist capitalism and hiding behind globalist left and liberal political correctness but the whole coterie who benefit the most from it, octupus-style.

I think we know that FF and FG do not represent the Irish people, but only represent the interests of landowners, landlords and bankers. And for this constituency, mass immigration is a bonanza. It's the honey milk they feed on, and taking the supply of cheap labour and immigrant rents from this gang will be like pulling teeth from a dog with rabies.

New Threads

Most Replies