• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Mass unmarked grave in Tuam for 800 babies (Second Thread)

Half Nelson

There's something twisted and unhealthy about a society that obsesses with wrongs done to children in the past, while it imposes greater wrongs on its own children.
And led by those who now champion the greatest injustices against children.

It's as if they want to convince themselves that they're not really the monsters that reason shows them to be.

StarryPlough01

There's something twisted and unhealthy about a society that obsesses with wrongs done to children in the past, while it imposes greater wrongs on its own children.

It's as if they want to convince themselves that they're not really the monsters that reason shows them to be.

Still obsessing about Repeal the 8th amendment I see. Those nuns need to be brought to justice for crimes against humanity.

Half Nelson

Still obsessing about Repeal the 8th amendment I see. Those nuns need to be brought to justice for crimes against humanity.
You recognise yourself. The zany post at 4:30 am is a giveaway.

The nuns are dead.

You're very selective when it comes to caring about crimes against humanity.

There is nothing unhealthy in wanting to see justice to be done for all those who suffered through no fault of their own rather than a corrupt goverment bury it as as happened so many times before.

StarryPlough01

You recognise yourself. The zany post at 4:30 am is a giveaway.

The nuns are dead.

You're very selective when it comes to caring about crimes against humanity.

^^^ This post at 4.30 AM. Backed up with facts. ^^^

Ah, poor baby, did you report my post Half Nelson?

I'm not posting on your blue coloured layout Neo-Nazi site, so perhaps Post #2357 will stand ——> A Catholic fascist site that professes to promote freedom of expression, but actually allows mods to make and break rules with impunity if you highlight their Beloved Leader Herr Hitler's abuse of power. It's documented by one of their mods that he has an ardent love of Hitler and Stalin.

You can't even write there about convicted paedophile George Pell's sexual assault on two minors without getting harangued throughout said thread by the mods! The cold facts didn't suit their narrative. Opposing views will be deleted. And they will actually perma-ban one if you criticise their abominable behaviour elsewhere. You aren't allowed freedom of expression on their site or elsewhere. Go figure.

FACT:

Tuam Survivor Anne Kelly Silke was older than the young ones and has clearer memories of Tuam. The younger ones remember feeling hungry all the time and having pot bellies.

The nuns starved the children.

McTell

Twitter
No
//
Tuam Survivor Anne Kelly Silke was older than the young ones and has clearer memories of Tuam. The younger ones remember feeling hungry all the time and having pot bellies.

The nuns starved the children.
It's not well known that nuns were not allowed to go to uni back in the day, so the less aware tended to be signed up by their parents.

The payback was that we "respected" them for their "selfless" devotion to god and man. But we mainly felt sorry for them and bust a gut to make sure that our kids would never be in their clutches. That is the reality.

We paid them per head, like you pay for moving cattle on a lorry.

And I have a nun aunt, who is grand and cleverer than most, so i do know what went down.

petaljam

There's something really twisted and unhealthy about pretending to believe that a woman being allowed to end a 10 or 12 week pregnancy is in any way comparable to torturing and abusing living conscious children that will suffer both mentally and physically from the abuse.

Do you have any opinion at all about the abuse so many children suffered in holy Catholic Ireland apart from "Yeah but meh because abortion"?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Well that kind of psychology a certain section of the population will take to as it requires the construction of a fairy personality for a zygote which can be wrapped around said zygote and acknowledges no development stage from ovulation to birth from that point.

Mainly I suppose because it is 'belief' based instead of getting itself entangled in all that reality rubbish.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

"THE RELIGIOUS ORDER at the centre of the Tuam Mother and Baby Home burial controversy told the government it had no “legal liability” arising from the home.

In correspondence with Children’s Minister Katherine Zappone, the Bon Secours Sisters said that before a commission of investigation was complete, their advice was that there was no legal obligation on them to provide funding."

The word they are deliberately avoiding is the word "yet". They are waiting to be convicted in court and then they will have legal liability to pay over funds.

In the meantime they are generously handing over €2.5 million towards the excavation and a memorial.

"In follow-up correspondence, Zappone asked the Bon Secours Sisters to “reflect” on whether they should be making a more significant contribution of funds."... more

StarryPlough01

Right To Know has FOI on Bon Secours Country Leader Sr Marie Ryan weaselling on their LEGAL LIABILITY for Tuam

I take no prisoners, we need the CORONER present from the start of the Tuam exhumation
, and then we may be also looking at criminal proceedings

thumb.png

BUT…but…but…
Dodgy Minister Zappone wants to bypass the Coroner in * NEW *LEGISLATION

Ken Foxe Retweeted
Noteworthy‏ @noteworthy_ie 13h13 hours ago
Noteworthy Retweeted Noteworthy

Letters and records from behind the scenes on talks over who should be liable for the excavation and reburial of the remains found at the burial site in the Tuam Mother and Baby Home:

Noteworthy‏ @noteworthy_ie

Religious order that ran Tuam said they had no "legal liability" for the mother and baby home until after commission of investigation had reported. Said €2.5 million donation would be "sole contribution" to the government fund for excavation and reburial: Religious order that ran Tuam says it has no 'legal liability' to provide funding before mother and baby home commission ends

Copy and paste to your browser letter to Minister Katherine Zappone from Bon Secours Sr Marie Ryan Country Leader ~

Ken Foxe Retweeted
Noteworthy‏ @noteworthy_ie 16h16 hours ago

However, Minister Zappone said there had already been public and media calls for the order to make a bigger contribution to costs. She said this was a matter "which the congregation may wish to reflect upon":​

Copy and paste to your browser Minister Zappone's letter to Bon Secours congregation ~

Ken Foxe Retweeted

In follow-up letter, the minister said she noted that the Bon Secours Sisters had said they did not have "legal liability" for the mother and baby home. Also said she wished to acknowledge the €2.5 million contribution they had made:​

Copy and paste to your browser Minister Zappone's letter to Sr Ryan

Ken Foxe Retweeted

Minister Katherine Zappone pressed for a firm commitment from the order on sharing costs. The Bon Secours Sisters said they were not in a position to do so at the meeting and asked for a "sense of the amount involved":​

Ken Foxe Retweeted

Notes of meeting with government show Bon Secours Sisters said they were "genuinely shocked" by what had been found at Tuam. They said the discovery was "alien to their ethos and practice". They had nobody with first-hand recall of the mother and baby home:​

Ken Foxe Retweeted

Religious order that ran Tuam said they had no "legal liability" for the mother and baby home until after commission of investigation had reported. Said €2.5 million donation would be "sole contribution" to the government fund for excavation and reburial: Religious order that ran Tuam says it has no 'legal liability' to provide funding before mother and baby home commission ends …​

Copy and paste to your browser letter to Minister Zappone from Bon Secours Sr Marie Ryan ~

Ken Foxe

@kenfoxe

Editor at @Noteworthy_ie by @thejournal_ie. Lecturer TU Dublin. Director @RightToKnowIE. Like #FOIA & data
. Email me ken.foxe@gmail.com On Threema: 3UD6FCWF

Dublin, Ireland
noteworthy.ie

Thank you Ken Foxe @ Noteworthy

Starry:

I would like the FOI on Minister Zappone's JUNKET to her alma mater Boston College, US where around 4 lucky selected Collaborative Forum members got an all expenses paid trip with her.
Zappone returned triumphantly to Boston College. Hey schoolmates, I made it, I'm a huge mover and shaker in Ireland. Did those lucky Collaborative Forum members speak against Ms Zappone at any time, or do they all warmly embrace her? Birth mothers on Collaborative Forum were few on the ground even though the Collaborative Forum Charter said it was all about the primary residents (birth mothers).

MIRIAM O'CALLAGHAN WRITING ABOUT MINISTER ZAPPONE'S SUPPRESSION OF INDEPENDENT AUTHORED OBERSTOWN REPORT BY UNIVERSITY PROFESSORS BARRY GOLDSON AND NICK HARDWICK:

Miriam O'Callaghan‏ @mir_ocall 16h16 hours ago
Replying to @noteworthy_ie

@KZapponeTD might wish to reflect on why she, herself, is suppressing a report into #Oberstown. This is not the bad old days of the homes and the laundries. We now have a Minister for Children and she is it. #tuambabies
(y)

Miriam O'Callaghan
@mir_ocall

Mother, writer, musician. Write for Sunday Independent. Qui si parla italiano. #migrants #climate #wildlife #Iraq #poverty #restiamoumani

Starry:

Right on Miriam.

I was also talking about this IN A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE (see my below post of Tuesday 30th Apri)l where I compared suppression of independent authored Oberstown Report ^^^ to Collaborative Forum members Report being delayed. I was concerned it would go the same way as Obertstown independent report, as CF members criticised Tulsa. Those kids at the detention campus could have had mitigating circumstances and / or reduced sentences, given community service, shown leniency....

More infomation here ~

StarryPlough01

cJpHCEF.png

StarryPlough01

*Pope Francis' plan [Papal Decree] for Bishops to investigate themselves for sexual abuse or negligence

*FFS, what punitive action will be taken against sexual abuse offenders? These crimes should be reported to CIVIL AUTHORITIES

:mad: THE CHURCH HAS LEARNED NOTHINGSELF POLICING AS NORMAL :mad:

'Pope Francis’ move on dealing with bishops accused of sexual abuse or negligence leaves out the vital role of lay Catholics'

May 9, 2019 | 8:27pm

By JD Flynn

The plan: Vos Estis Lux Mundi ~ “You Are the Light of the World"

"While the plan is a step forward, it doesn’t address lay involvement, procedural transparency or outside accountability. The US bishops can address these shortcomings — and should.

…. The plan addresses several questions brought to light by the McCarrick scandal: It requires bishops to report the sexual misconduct of their colleagues, it protects whistleblowers inside the church and it makes clear that bishops who neglect their civil or church responsibilities to report or address abuse will be held accountable.

Most important, the plan recognizes explicitly that imbalances of power can be exploited for sexual coercion, and it censures those who abuse their positions of influence and trust.

But the pope’s new policy, while allowing for “qualified” lay Catholics to assist in the investigation of bishops, is a process mostly reserved to senior bishops.

StarryPlough01

Tuam Survivors are calling for a FULL INQUEST ...

Ciaran Tierney: Compounding The Injustice Of Tuam

Ciaran Tierney at 10:03 am May 10, 2019

Criminal acts were carried out to their family members and now they feel that there can be no closure to this terrible story until the full truth of what happened to the “Tuam Babies” is revealed to the world.

If the families believe that this can only be achieved through a FULL INQUEST, isn’t it time “official Ireland” gives them the truth and the justice they have been calling out for?

Otherwise, we are compounding a terrible injustice and we are still betraying the dead children of Tuam (and their mothers and surviving family members) in the much more “enlightened” Ireland of 2019.

StarryPlough01

:mad: Bertie Ahern's WHITEWASH of the Government and Church 20 years on... :mad:

Bertie Ahern: 20 years on from State apology to survivors of abuse

‘The effect of apology I had underestimated. I did not think it would mean as much’

about 3 hours ago Updated: about 2 hours ago

By Patsy McGarry

Thinking back to the compensation agreements made with the religious institutions, Ahern insists that ministers had acted for the best, but he believes, too, that the institutions are duty bound to honour pledges made.

Governments did these deals in good faith and I don’t believe either my government or Brian Cowen’s government [in 2009] were being unduly unfair on them.

though he [Ahern] DEFENDS the controversial deal made by then minister for education Michael Woods in 2002. :mad:

“I think Michael Woods was being as sympathetic as he could be to the religious because he wasn’t trying to take assets that he believed that they required for other purposes.

RasherHash

Myers is beginning to like Catholics...ah well better late than never I s'pose...

StarryPlough01

Scroll to 17:00

Kevin Myers: "A solicitor for the state said that the Bon Secours sister giving evidence was lying through her teeth as Bon Secours normally did. This was an officer of the court."

Starry:

The Officer of the Court was solicitor Kevin Higgins

Solicitor Higgins had written evidence in a 2013 letter from Leader of the Bon Secours Sr Marie Ryan to a relative of a Tuam child that was different from Sr Marie's 2017 letter to Tulsa:

As the 1947 death certificate for one of the children being inquired about seemed to indicate he died at the home, she understood there would be “a very good possibility” his remains were buried at the small cemetery located at the back of the home that was “operated as a general grave”. Because the order has no access to records, she could not state what medical condition the child had and had no information about the woman’s mother or the second child being inquired about, she wrote.​
The 2017 letter was from Sr Marie to Tusla after the High Court directed Tusla to write to the Bon Secours seeking any burial records. Sr Marie, on behalf of the congregation, confirmed it was unaware of any burial records maintained by the congregation in respect of children who died at the home, all records were handed over to the board in 1961, no records were withheld and the congregation understood all records were held by Tusla.​
....​
Mr Higgins said he considered the letters showed Sr Marie, “as is the norm for the Bon Secours sisters”, “is lying through her teeth” and indicated the order knew “a lot more” in 2013 and knew “where the babies are buried”. The general grave referred to was “the overflow cesspit” of the home wherein lies about 796 young children, he said.​

Starry:

Quite contrary to what Myers stated, it was deemed to be 'shocking by standards of the time' to discard children's remains in the overflow cesspit.

StarryPlough01

Clare Daly gets real and exposes Minister for Children Katherine Zappone's platitudes, which are "a cover for inactivity...."

Mother and Baby Homes PMB

Clare Daly

Published on May 15, 2019

Clare Daly speaking on the situation regarding illegal adoptions facilitated by religious orders through mother and baby homes.

PMB Mother and Baby Homes

Clare Daly

Starry:

I will have to frame this debate. Well Done Clare!

(y)

Minister for Children sank into her chair and looked as if she wanted the ground to open up and swallow her. Deputy Clare Daly was taking no prisoners and lay bare the government's disingenuous behaviour and, in my view, the artifice of the Minister(y)

Brilliant debates ~

Dáil Éireann debate -
Wednesday, 15 May 2019

Mother and Baby Homes: Motion [Private Members]

StarryPlough01

Catherine Connolly TD tells Minister for Children waiting is not an option...

Catherine Connolly TD speaks in relation to Mother and Baby homes 15.05.19

Catherine Connolly TD

Catherine Connolly TD calls on the government to do the decent thing and the right thing and set up a redress scheme for survivors of mother and baby homes.

I welcome the opportunity to speak on this motion today. I find it difficult on many levels as both professionally and personally I have had involvement with this matter for many years. There is a recent image of a 103 year old woman, Elizabeth, meeting her 81 year old daughter, Eileen, in Scotland. Eileen was a resident in the Bethany Home. Surely that image alone might have prodded the Minister into making a different speech today. In no way do I mean to be personal and I have the greatest respect for the Minister but all I can think is that she has been taken captive by her Department. It is difficult to understand as the most important aspect in all this is trust. I appreciate that the Minister inherited a terrible situation and she is trying to deal with a difficult matter but trust is very important.

The speech made today was disingenuous in parts, and I use that word very reluctantly. The Minister said there would be no redress at this point because we must wait until the commission completes its work. I really find it difficult to hide my frustration.

The second interim report clearly identifies the need for the Government to look at a redress scheme. It does not state that the Government must wait until publication of the final report. Paragraph 4.29 states, "Accordingly, the Commission considers that the exclusion of the named Mother and Baby Homes ... needs to be [examined]." It goes on to state, "Children who were resident in these institutions without their mothers would seem to have been in the same position as children resident in the institutions which were eligible for redress." It goes on to appeal to the Government - the Minister is the face of the Government today - to look at a redress scheme because there was no justification for distinguishing between those who received compensation from the industrial schools and those children who were in mother and baby homes. The commission makes a distinction in respect of those who were unaccompanied. I will not go into that distinction today but I do not accept it.

I wish the Minister's speech-writer - I do not know if she wrote her speech herself - had read the various reports. I have taken the trouble to read them all so I am briefed on the matter before I speak. I cannot understand how the Minister can fail to agree to at least the first section of the motion, which calls for a redress scheme for those who spent time in mother and baby homes. She referred to there being no abuses identified. Going back to the original redress scheme, with which I was involved in a professional capacity, former residents had to show medical reports to the effect that they had suffered. It was not a question of liability or blame at that point, although blame certainly was apportioned separately from the Ryan report. The most appalling part of this is that if I say what these people got, I would still be committing an offence and liable to a penalty or imprisonment. That would also be the case if those who received awards under the redress scheme disclosed any information. This is the background, which continued right into the 21st century. Here we are today appealing to the Government to do the decent and right thing and set up a redress scheme, and the Minister responds with a speech of this nature that is simply unacceptable.

I have repeatedly quoted the memos that were given to the Government in 2012 on the Tuam and Bessborough mother and baby homes. It was quite clear that there were significant volumes of information. I will come back to the fifth interim report if I have time. I refer to an absence of information. The draft briefing paper was published in 2012. I have quoted from it before. Has the Minister read these briefing papers? Have they been brought to the attention of the commission? They refer to a wealth of information on Bessborough and Tuam. They state that the records relating to Tuam were "detailed and extensive" and would require time to comb through. They go on finally to refer to irregularities, areas of concern regarding patient safety and, with relevance to this debate, "possible interference with birth and death certification" requiring further investigation. These are the briefing papers that were brought to Government in 2012 by means of Martin McAleese's report on the Magdalen laundries. That report clarified that the committee could not investigate but wanted to ensure that the matter would be investigated. It was not, and here we are today. That was 2012, it is now 2019 and we are still appealing for a basic redress scheme for those who spent time in mother and baby homes, where, to put it mildly, they suffered the most appalling neglect. I am very often critical of social workers but I pay tribute to the social worker referred to in these briefing notes, who did a tremendous amount of work at the time in the west of Ireland to highlight the scandal on her own time and in the evenings.

The Minister is nodding, but perhaps she will nod to indicate that she will withdraw her amendment. When we look at the fifth interim report, which I have read in detail, what jumps out, and the more difficult question to answer, is why the children were buried in such an inappropriate manner. I refer specifically to Tuam, where 798 children died. The report explores whether the burial sites were used as sewage tanks. This question is the only slight divergence. The burial sites would seem to have been used for a certain length of time as sewage tanks. They certainly were not burial chambers. The commission goes on to highlight the role of the county council and its failure to supply information, co-operate, comment on the draft report sent to it and so on. This is the very county council that was put in charge of the consultation process. Can the Minister imagine that? The interim report highlights the county council's inadequacies, to put it mildly, and this is the very body that the Government put in charge of a consultation process. I recall being in Tuam at the same time as the Minister, and fair play to her for attending. The Tánaiste, Deputy Coveney, who was Minister for Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government at the time, was also present. The Minister referred to bringing closure. She fundamentally missed the point. It is about bringing openness, not closure, and stopping the buried secrets. We have not just buried bodies in sewage chambers, but also buried secrets, and unless we realise this and go forward, we will not learn.

Many things jump off the pages of the fifth interim report. In a sense they are not relevant to today's debate, but I could not let one or two of them go without mention. There is the sale of infant bodies, at a cost of ten shillings each, to the medical faculty in Galway Central Hospital, as it was then called. Some bodies may have come from the mother and baby home. This jumps off page 55. The affidavits also jump off the pages of the report. The affidavit in this case happens to relate to the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary. Its affidavit was "speculative, inaccurate and misleading".

I sat here and listened to the Minister's contribution and then to that on behalf of Fianna Fáil. I have the greatest respect for Deputy O'Loughlin, but when she talks about waiting until the commission does its work, I do not think Fianna Fáil Deputies have read the report or realise that the commission clearly called on the Government to consider establishing a redress scheme. Furthermore, these dark secrets are not in the past but very much in the present. As long as the Minister is a member of the Government, she is a part of the secrets continuing to be covered up and the language being used about truth, love and honesty while all the time there is no uncovering of the terrible deeds that were done.

On the previous occasion I quoted Oliver St. John Gogarty and it is worth doing so again. Some 91 years ago he stated, "It is high time that the people of this country find some other way of loving God than by hating women." Things have dramatically changed for the better for women, but that underlying ideology, whereby bad was attributed particularly to single mothers, remains. That is how society dealt with this. We have an obligation to take that burden off women's shoulders. They did not deserve that guilt or that burden, and it is our duty to apologise. The Government must apologise and then put in place a practical scheme to provide the most basic redress. The difficulties with a redress scheme are operational. The cost of the scheme is reflective of the involvement of the legal profession and many other aspects, primarily the failure to get the various congregations to pay what they should have paid. These are not arguments to prevent a redress scheme being set up now. We are talking about a limited number of people.

I will finish with the image I started with, namely, a woman who is over 80 years of age travelling to meet her 104 year old mother for the first time after six decades searching. I ask Members to keep that image in mind and then ask themselves, can we stand here and not do our duty?

1558091826647.gif

StarryPlough01

Clare condemns Minister Zappone's glib response to the motion...

Dáil Éireann debate -
Wednesday, 15 May 2019

Mother and Baby Homes: Motion [Private Members]

Deputy Clare Daly

It will be no surprise to the Minister that her response to our motion has undoubtedly added to the pain and trauma of the survivors of these institutions. Her response is completely and utterly unacceptable to this side of the House. It can be summed up as follows. It is asserted first that this is an incredibly complicated process which needs a great deal of time to work out and second that the Government is great and is dealing with it. We hear a bit of backslapping going on about how the Minister is demonstrating great leadership in dealing with this issue and in how she has responded thoroughly and decisively to the issue of illegal adoptions and so on. That tells me two things. It tells me the Department may be trying to silence the Minister or provide her with platitudes whereas it is in fact a cover for inactivity. We would not have moved this motion if everything was going well. We have moved the motion on behalf of people who survived this. They know how complicated their lives are and they know what the solution is. In her speech, the Minister said the second interim report dealt with some of the issues raised by Deputies on this side of the House in their motion. That is precisely why we moved it. That report issued almost three years ago. It is not just us calling for redress. The second interim report to which the Minister says she wishes to listen already says she should be doing this. The Government turns around and rehashes the collaborative forum's demand for a health and wellbeing programme, a proper system of memorialisation and so on as if it is something wonderful that it has thought to look into. For these people, the Government has been looking into it for years. There is no impediment whatsoever to putting a redress scheme in place now. In fact, the Government's failure to deal with it is a retraumatisation of the people involved

In her response, the Minister said that since work had commenced, there had been calls for redress. She said some believed they were unfairly excluded from the schemes and do not see it as necessary that the current commission completes its work. The commission itself believes those people were unfairly excluded and has already said there is an incredibly strong case for the inclusion of Bethany Home, for example. As such, the commission has completed that part of its work and said Bethany Home should have been included and, further, that redress should be provided. The purpose of our motion is not to get another rehash of how complicated the whole thing is. It is to get action on that area. For the Government to hide behind previous financial redress schemes being complex and costly to administer and difficult for applicants is incredibly disrespectful for those involved. It suggests it is just about money, that they would not understand it anyway and that it would make it hard for them. It is the same paternalistic approach and looking down on people that was adopted in respect of these people and their mothers in the institutions themselves. It is gut wrenching to listen to it. In the remaining few days before we vote on this, I ask the Government to withdraw from that stance. I ask Fianna Fáil not to support the Government's amendment to our motion.

The other key part that is missing here is the issue we dealt with in the opening remarks on illegal adoptions. It is a simple reality that the experience of tens of thousands of our citizens who were illegally adopted is not being investigated properly in any forum as we stand here. The sampling exercise involves only 1.5% of the 100,000 records held by the Adoption Authority. It does not even scratch the surface. What we need to see and what we have demanded for years is a full audit of all adoption files. We need a package of basic supports for the remaining survivors which could be rolled out with ease. It is not rocket science and it is not complex or costly. We need the broader issues of the illegally adopted to be included in the commission of investigation because they are not going to go away. It may be the case that many of these survivors have, tragically, lost their lives since the commission was established, but to delay any further makes that situation even worse. I cannot understand the lack of feeling in the contributions from the Government benches. We often say here that no one has a monopoly on compassion. We all know that and I have always been one to accept it. What we have seen today, however, is a demonstrable lack of compassion which those who survived these institutions will find not at all helpful. I appeal to every grouping in the House to ensure that our motion is carried and that collectively, we bring pressure to bear. After listening to the arguments tonight, however, it appears that those involved will have to take the road to the United Nations, to litigation and to seeking answers outside the State, which is a terrible indictment of the Government.

Amendment put.

An Ceann Comhairle

In accordance with Standing Order 70(2), the division is postponed until the weekly division time on Thursday, 16 May 2019.

Bravo Clare!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies