Mass unmarked grave in Tuam for 800 babies (Second Thread)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
ah yes. The paternalism of Irish 'officials'. They know what's best you know. Strange then that the country was such an obvious f*ckup in social terms for many decades.

Must be great being an Irish 'official'. Never to be named. At worst only described via a job title.

HereWeGoAgain

Re/ site

Re/ Tuam

David J McDonagh@McDonaghDJ
Replying to @tuambabiesfami1 @mynamesisbridge @thejournal_ie
The "paper of record" has chosen a divisive headline.
I live 5 minutes from the site. I don't get why they canvassed local people in this way.
If individual properties are affected, surely they should only consult property owners on a case by case basis?
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/division-in-tuam-between-residents-and-mother-and-baby-home-relatives-1.3556797?mode=amp

twitter
https://twitter.com/McDonaghDJ/status/1015555693204725760

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Oh dear. Can't have something like this affecting property prices.

HereWeGoAgain

MyNameIsBridget@mynamesisbridge

EXCLUSIVE LETTER from St. Patrick's mother and baby home. Sister Monica writes: "Indeed nearly every mother admitted to the home asks me to get their child adopted, if possible....I have 9 American families on hands who I consider suitable" #illegaladoptions #motherandbabyhomes

https://twitter.com/mynamesisbridge

HereWeGoAgain

Evidence of illegal birth registrations exists in the records of multiple adoption agencies but a full inquiry into the scale of illegal adoptions would be “onerous” and require “massive resources”.

The revelation is contained in a note of a meeting between representatives of the Department of Children and Youth Affairs (DCYA), Tusla and the Adoption Authority (AAI) held in April.

At the meeting, which was attended by department secretary general Fergal Lynch and was prepared by the DCYA adoption policy unit, there is an acknowledgement that evidence of illegal registrations was not confined to St Patrick’s Guild.
“It is feasible that illegal registrations exist in the balance of SPG [St Patrick’s Guild] records but only a comprehensive audit would verify this matter. It was noted that while individual cases of illegal registrations have been identified in other agencies any attempts to quantify the issue would be onerous, requiring massive resources,” said the note released under freedom of information.
- Conall O'Fatharta
Irish Examiner
https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/evidence-of-illegal-birth-registrations-exists-in-multiple-adoption-agencies--dept-472650.html

Cruimh

MyNameIsBridget@mynamesisbridge

EXCLUSIVE LETTER from St. Patrick's mother and baby home. Sister Monica writes: "Indeed nearly every mother admitted to the home asks me to get their child adopted, if possible....I have 9 American families on hands who I consider suitable" #illegaladoptions #motherandbabyhomes

https://twitter.com/mynamesisbridge
The truth was that once adoption became legal in Ireland they were flooded with requests

Those involved in overseas adoptions justified the practice on the grounds that it was virtually impossible to convince Irish families to adopt illegitimate children. This claim is somewhat dubious in light of the fact that inspectors of boarded out children repeatedly reported that foster families wished to adopt the children entrusted to their care but were precluded from doing so because of the absence of adoption legislation. (10) Additionally, in the first year of legal adoption the Adoption Board received 2,500 requests for adoption orders, and thereafter received at least twice as many applications as could be processed in a year. (11)
Foreign adoptions and the evolution of Irish adoption policy, 1945-52

Journal of Social History , Winter, 2002 by Moira J. Maguire

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

The truth was that once adoption became legal in Ireland they were flooded with requests

Foreign adoptions and the evolution of Irish adoption policy, 1945-52

Journal of Social History , Winter, 2002 by Moira J. Maguire
Sister Monica was deeply involved and told porkies. What was The "Dublin Board of Assistance"? and who was the Chief Executive Officer in 1951, and who followed him/her in that position.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

Sister Monica was deeply involved and told porkies. What was The "Dublin Board of Assistance"? and who was the Chief Executive Officer in 1951, and who followed him/her in that position.
Looks like the Dublin Board of Assistance existed in 1931, was dissolved in 1942 [for lack of control over expenses?], existed in 1951 & 1954

HereWeGoAgain

Mick Caul@caulmick

Survivors of the Tuam mother and baby home have written to Taoiseach Leo Varadkar, the attorney general, and the coroner for north Galway calling for an inquest to be opened into the deaths of children at the home. https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/tuam-home-survivors-demand-inquest-from-leo-varadkar-472742.html … #TuamBabies

The letters come in the wake of the report of a public consultation process carried out by Galway County Council and which followed an expert technical group report that put forward five options about what should be done with the site.

Tuam Home Survivors Network chairman Peter Mulryan, whose sister is recorded as having died in Tuam, has written to the Taoiseach, the attorney general, and the coroner for north Galway to express frustration at the delays and calling for an inquest to be opened immediately.

In letters to the coroner for north Galway sent in June and July, Mr Mulryan calls on the office to “begin the formal process of convening an inquest into the deaths of the Tuam children, without further delay”. He also hits out at the fact that such an inquest has not been ordered before now, labelling the delay “inexcusable”.

In a letter to Mr Varadkar earlier this week, Mr Mulryan said he regarded the attitude of Children’s Minister Katherine Zappone to the matter as “an outrage”.

“I have no expectation that either you or any member of your government will exert themselves in this matter and kindly do not send me the usual pro-forma reply acknowledging my letter,” wrote Mr Mulryan.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/tuam-home-survivors-demand-inquest-from-leo-varadkar-472742.html

https://twitter.com/caulmick

HereWeGoAgain

Tuam Herald

Minister Zappone holds final meeting in Tuam over former Home site

THE Minister for Children and Youth Affairs Dr Katherine Zappone will visit Tuam on Monday evening (July 23) to hear views regarding what is to happen to the site of the former Tuam Mother and Baby Home.
The Minister is visiting the town ahead of making her recommendation to Government regarding the future of the remains discovered at the site, and the site itself at Dublin Road in the town
“I am anxious to have another opportunity hear first-hand the views of people affected.
“The consultation by Galway County Council as well as legal and expert advice will help inform my decision. However, I do firmly believe that all voices must be given an opportunity to be heard,” said Minister Zappone.
The meeting will take place in the Ard Ri House Hotel in Tuam on Monday, July 23 at 7pm. The Minister’s office has stated that the meeting will be closed to the media.
“I am inviting all those who believe they have yet to be heard and those who wish to support previously expressed views, to attend.
“Notwithstanding the complexities surrounding the future of the site, it is important that the decisions which are taken are just, credible and transparent.
“Next Monday’s gathering is another step to ensure we achieve those goals.”

The Tuam Herald - Minister Zappone holds final meeting in Tuam over former Home site

HereWeGoAgain

Re Tuam

Alison Gilliland @AlisonGilliland

There is only ONE option - give each little baby and its mother the dignity of their identity and their existence in our country - if these were historic artefacts they'd be exhumed and logged, if they were fallen soldiers they'd be exhumed and given a decent burial #Tuambabies

5:38 AM - 23 Jul 2018
https://twitter.com/AlisonGilliland/status/1021374053465100288

Civic_critic2

Felicity Hayes-McCoy

Replying to @thejournal_ie

Unless/until Ireland explores & understands our systematised culture of silence we're in danger of continuing to feel victimised & express outrage without making changes/moving on. Another reason @PresidentIRL is right about the importance of history in our school curriculum.
We have a class system, this is nothing more occult and diifcult to understand than that. Powerful people who are psychopaths do not want their deeds looked into, the state is ultimately responsible for everything from the Magdalene laundries to Tuam - the state is an upper middle class playground where the rest of us are allowed to remain as tenants so long as we pay our (highly extractive) way, otherwise we can bugger off out of the country.

So, a small class numbering around 30,000 in total control the country, its banks, media and enterprises, the land and most building - these are the people who sold, killed, raped and exploited those women and children. These are the same people who years after the discovery of almost a 1000 children's bodies in a septic tank...still haven't done anything about it. No other country in Europe and possibly the world would react this way.

If the idiotic southern mealy-mouthed general public who haven't a courageous thought in their conformist brains can't get together to force this site to be dug up then fk them.

I find this image hard to believe, I can only imagine it's another establishment lie:

Civic_critic2

Tuam Herald

Minister Zappone holds final meeting in Tuam over former Home site

THE Minister for Children and Youth Affairs Dr Katherine Zappone will visit Tuam on Monday evening (July 23) to hear views regarding what is to happen to the site of the former Tuam Mother and Baby Home.
The Minister is visiting the town ahead of making her recommendation to Government regarding the future of the remains discovered at the site, and the site itself at Dublin Road in the town
“I am anxious to have another opportunity hear first-hand the views of people affected.
“The consultation by Galway County Council as well as legal and expert advice will help inform my decision. However, I do firmly believe that all voices must be given an opportunity to be heard,” said Minister Zappone.
The meeting will take place in the Ard Ri House Hotel in Tuam on Monday, July 23 at 7pm. The Minister’s office has stated that the meeting will be closed to the media.
“I am inviting all those who believe they have yet to be heard and those who wish to support previously expressed views, to attend.
“Notwithstanding the complexities surrounding the future of the site, it is important that the decisions which are taken are just, credible and transparent.
“Next Monday’s gathering is another step to ensure we achieve those goals.”

The Tuam Herald - Minister Zappone holds final meeting in Tuam over former Home site
Perhaps someone can go along and throw a bag of piss at her? It's no more than the Irish management class deserve and considerably less.

Civic_critic2

Perhaps someone can go round the area in Tuam and knock door-to-door and carry out their own survey of whether 87% of the residents are so devoid of even an iota of social, moral responsibility, responsibility towards children, that they want a septic fkkin tank with hundreds of dead babies in it left alone. See whether it's actually true or another establishment lie.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49

HereWeGoAgain

TalentCoop Norah B
@TalentCoop

#TuamBabies I cannot imagine any case where human remains are found in suspicious circumstances and the views or disquiet of a neighbour preventing full investigation of death. It would be preposterous for it to happen in Tuam, where nearly 800 babies are involved.

https://twitter.com/TalentCoop

HereWeGoAgain

So I went to the Tuam Babies meeting to have my say, and then I realised I shouldn’t have one

The meeting was supposed to gauge opinion on what to do with the site: (a) leave everything as it is but erect a memorial to tell the world how much we care; or (b) fully excavate the mass grave, exhume and identify the remains, and return the lost loved ones to their grieving families and enable them to rest in peace after a formal and appropriate burial.

Spoiler alert — I was rooting for option (b).

Let’s cut to the chase. What we are dealing with here is a mass grave, one containing the remains of abused persons, people discarded as second-hand citizens, coercively separated from their families, born in captivity, and denigrated with the zeal that only religious sanctimony and god-fearing hubris can muster.

It seems simply unconscionable that any humane society would respond to the revelation that nearly 800 babies have been interred in an unmarked grave — a septic tank, no less — and say, ‘Well…let’s just leave them there.’

And yet that is what was being proposed for Tuam.

Read more
https://notthesciencebit.net/2018/07/24/so-i-went-to-the-tuam-babies-meeting-to-have-my-say-and-then-i-realised-i-shouldnt-have-one/

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
The sooner there is an inquest the better - it is high time many of the nonesence tales written and spouted by so called journalist and media outlets were challenged for what they are - agenda drivel based on hate

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies