Matthew Parris : United Ireland : The idea makes so much sense.

McSlaggart

aster than many realise, the time is coming to think dispassionately about the unification of Ireland. When the expected border with the rest of the UK is established in the Irish Sea the case for reuniting north and south will get its biggest boost since partition in 1921.
I suggest this may not be a bad thing. Before describing unification on the whole island of Ireland in the language of the “break-up” of the UK we should remember that there will be a corresponding coming-together. We should think about the gains. The idea makes so much sense.
“It is hereby declared” (says what has come to be known as the Good Friday agreement between the British and Irish governments) “that Northern Ireland . . . shall not cease…

I wish to thank the DUP and their work on changing the minds of British conservatives to the need to bring about a united Ireland.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Matthew Parris is widely read and influential as well. That's an interesting source for this gentlest breaking of news in the UK. The sort of article that wouldn't otherwise be written, or if written hesitated over at editorial level, if the writer and newspaper weren't fairly certain that people would receive it with equanimity.

I think the average sensible English person knows, and I've met a lot of those, that Ireland does sensibly have a case for reunification. Possibly in some ways a better claim than the two Germanies had in our lifetime.

Lord Talbot

Pity the nationalists are clueless as to how it might be achieved. Might just take a unilateral withdrawl.

jmcc

John "Unionist" Bruton will be in tears reading that. :) There seems to be a rapidly changing attitude to reunification in the UK and NI. Dublin, as usual, seems to be behind the curve.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Pity the nationalists are clueless as to how it might be achieved. Might just take a unilateral withdrawl.
Is that like one of those 'strategic withdrawals'? Like Dunkirk?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
John "Unionist" Bruton will be in tears reading that. :) There seems to be a rapidly changing attitude to reunification in the UK and NI. Dublin, as usual, seems to be behind the curve.
I'm not so sure that Dublin is behind the curve at all on this.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Heh. Unionism. A Dunkirk without the possibility of a D-Day.

Lord Talbot

Kind of, but without the stress of a highly organised war machine bearing down upon them.

Just shinners.

Sync

Rather than obsess about the ‘break-up’ of the UK we should accept that the Republic and north are moving ever closer
Starts from a point of delusion and builds on. Just like all the best articles.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Last edited:
Last edited:
From the intelligence files of the National Inquiries Desk of the Plain People of Ireland.

'Macra na Feirme. A militant paramilitary organisation with known berserkers in the ranks. Cross-index with confidential secret service report ' A Sort of 9/11 In Knickers' and 'Interior Risks to the Sovereign'. Apologies for the title of the latter. Feckin' Brutons.

Is mise le meas

Colonel Lumpy
Section Chief
NID

McSlaggart

Starts from a point of delusion and builds on. Just like all the best articles.
Matthew Parris is not someone who I would often agree with. The fact is that people in the conservative party would take his views as being sound.

The impact of a border in the Irish sea will cause issues for the "mainland" which will have as yet unforeseen consequences for northern Ireland. The one thing we do know that this conservative party will not go out of its way to be "nice" to either the DUP or northern Ireland.

jmcc

Matthew Parris is not someone who I would often agree with. The fact is that people in the conservative party would take his views as being sound.

The impact of a border in the Irish sea will cause issues for the "mainland" which will have as yet unforeseen consequences for northern Ireland. The one thing we do know that this conservative party will not go out of its way to be "nice" to either the DUP or northern Ireland.
It is going to really upset some of those in Dublin who refer to the UK as "the mainland". But Parris is a good commentator and journalist. Must resist the urge to make a pun about the seachange in Tory opinion. :)

Sync

He is. But he's starting from a position that people in the UK obsess about losing NI. It's a false position. They don't. The people don't, the governments don't. Who cares? Who actively tried keeping NI in? Thatcher maybe? 30 years ago?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Any English person I've had a conversation with about Northern Ireland have always given me the impression that they know there is a proper case for reunification.

It is a weird thing. I've been in sheltered establishments clutching a small dry sherry in the paw and gassing away and a few times I've turned up someone who was stationed in Northern Ireland. Not the company I would seek out but the circumstances were not of a political discussion but more people just telling a bit about themselves.

What is common I have found is that they found it weird too to be in uniform in what looked to them a lot like rural towns and villages or cities at home, in uniform and alert in case of attack, but then they would always tell you how much they enjoyed being on a few days leave and away fishing or something in the west.

Never got the impression from any of them that they harboured any hatred for anyone in Northern Ireland, they are often curious about the history which they have only ever had the most hazy notion of, and always they are keen to communicate the weirdness of it all. They seemed to enjoy the place when they could, away from the Troubles and noticeably don't seem to harbour any grudges or ill will toward the people in NI.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
This is the thing... I followed quite closely any statement from a European leader during Brexit and very closely when they made any reference to the backstop issue, and I did see comment from France and Germany that indicated they thought the dotted line across the island was ridiculous and that the obvious solution was a border in the Irish sea.

So we have France, Germany with that awareness of an issue that is important to us domestically, and without rancour, clearly important to everyone in Northern Ireland.

Now we see Parris, who is no here-today-gone-tomorrow op-ed writer but someone very well connected with the political establishment at Westminster, venturing to question in print the 'national question' as we used to refer to it.

Momentumy.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It is nice to see control of the debate go wider than being restricted to people on the fringe who spend far too much time grimly remembering things that haven't happened yet.

Sync

But there's no one on the other side of the argument. Outside of the DUP there's no one in Westminster pushing against the people of NI doing whatever the the people of NI want to do as long as that doesn't involve exploding little bits of London. It's a resolved issue. No one's pushing for them to stay, no one's pushing for them to leave. No one cares.

It's a matter of time before the latter happens. Then whoever's running the UK will have to bear the terrible burden of not having to pay to prop up NI and not having to deal with whichever lunatic member of the Dodds family is heading the DUP.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom