Mattie McGrath rejects IMF/EU deal

timetochange

Website
www.facebook.com
I just recieved this reply after I emailed all our TD's this morning about the bail out and no vote on it in the dail. I hope I have posted this in the correct section.

PRESS RELEASE

29/11/2010

McGrath rejects IMF/EU deal

Mattie McGrath TD has said he does not support the deal announced yesterday between the EU/IMF and Ireland and has said that it may be necessary to hold a referendum on the issue.

“We are being bullied into a totally unacceptable financial situation with near penal interest rates from which future generations will never be able to recover from”, said McGrath.

“I spoke with Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan TD on Sunday before the deal was announced and I am convinced that the IMF/ EU are putting the gun to Ireland’s head – they are insisting that senior bank bond holders who were engaged in market speculation are to be protected. This is a totally unacceptable situation leaving the ordinary Irish people to pay for their gambling and saddled with poverty as a result”, said McGrath.

Deputy McGrath has told Minister Lenihan in no uncertain terms that he must stand up for the interests of Irish citizens and that any proposed bailout involving international agreements will have to be put to the Dáil or alternatively to the people in a referendum.

“Article 29.5.2 of the constitution states that every international agreement to which the State becomes a party shall be laid before Dáil Éireann”, said McGrath. “If, as the Taoiseach has said, the agreement is not going before the Dáil, we will be constitutionally required to hold a referendum on it.”

“The people of Ireland, along with their elected representatives, have not been told the truth or have not been consulted for far too long on these vary serious issues for the future of our country.”

“The debts we are talking about were incurred, not by the government to pay for public services, but by private wheeler-dealers seeking nothing but their own profit. Yet ordinary Irish citizens are now bearing the burden of those debts,” said the Deputy. “It is an insult to the people to force us into borrowing money to protect the bond holders and the euro currency project and then seek to extort 5.8% interest in the process. The government must stand up and call a halt to this before we are plunged into generations of poverty.”

Le gach dea ghuí,

Mattie

SideysGhost

Put up or shut up Mattie - if yer agin it then vote no confidence in the Govt that negotiated it.

Otherwise, STFU.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Very interesting!
Thanks for that.

(1) Does that mean he won't support the budget?
(2) Was he being counted as part of the majority for the budget?

DeputyEdo

Please.....he'll probably release a statement tomorrow saying he's all for the bailout.
Politicians are more flippy floppy than a pair of flip flops

hiding behind a poster

I don't see anything in that statement that says he'll oppose either the Budget or, (if voted on), the plan.

daveL

he'll get some further dispensation for 'da breedin beeches' and he'll be right as rain..

I'll await tomorrow's press release detailing Mattie's welcome dinner for the IMF/EU bailout team

D

Deleted member 17573

I don't see anything in that statement that says he'll oppose either the Budget or, (if voted on), the plan.
The reality is that he will get away with voting for the budget while still claiming to oppose the bailout. Most of his constituents will fall for it.

Buddies

Good news, well done mattie

Hope you vote against the budget to prove your anger, your time is now, or well, the 7th of Dec

Have RTE got this yet, we need to pin him down on the Budget vote, explain that if the government aren't holding a seperate vote, then this is the only part he gets to vote on!

dont forget a minister has said the vote on the budget is part of this bailout, the first part

ManfredJudge

A little bit from division Ta a little from division Nil and he could have a, greay or otherwise, Til to fumble in.

hmmm

I can only assume he's happy to sacrifice all deposits in our banks (as we have no money to repay them) and he's happy to find the 20 billion overnight we need to fill our budget deficit. Next year after our economy has gone through a 25-40% contraction, he'll have to find another 10-15 billion to fill the new hole that it throws up. You'd assume he has thought through all this and it isn't just grandstanding wouldn't you?

king5494

I can only assume he's happy to sacrifice all deposits in our banks (as we have no money to repay them) and he's happy to find the 20 billion overnight we need to fill our budget deficit. Next year after our economy has gone through a 25-40% contraction, he'll have to find another 10-15 billion to fill the new hole that it throws up. You'd assume he has thought through all this and it isn't just grandstanding wouldn't you?
You just dont get it do you ,the kicking the can down the road is over ,this anything to keep the status quo is over .

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
There aren't only 2 options of take the deal or drag the global economy into Armageddon.
We could go back and get a better deal, for instance.

pjoz

I know Mattie has a past record of crying wolf,but its real back to the wall stuff now.He has to be serious. Still taking fair flack over jumping to the defence of toffs on horses. Voters of South Tipp could have understood those actions by dear martin,but not mattie. FF face losing 2 in south tipp and Mattie really wants to hang on.Say he can't really financially afford not to given the collaspe of the construction sector. Rumour is out with a while that he'l stand as an independent next time. Hasn't a hope in hell if he supports this government on bailout and budget.This government is unravelling,more FF backbenchers to now follow his lead

Farrahy

the king of talking out both sides of his mouth and hole. He'll stroll into the Dail next week and vote through the Budget thus supporting the Bailout but can shout that he opposses the Bailout. The same ************************************************ that he was spouting last year about drink driving and how it makes some people better drivers. Himself and the other sound bite king Ned O'Keeffe shout be tied together and thrown into the Blackwater, or let loose in no mans land between North and South Korea.

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
Delightful to see such a stirring defence of the constitution. One can honestly say, hand on heart, that the only thing Deputy McGrath is thinking of is the integrity of the state, and the rule of law. Perhaps we were wrong about Deputy McGrath all along.

Mattie Abu!

I suggest we all contact each and TD in the country to discover which traitor supports the budget which forms part of the EU bailout.

A bit of pressure might make a few of them buckle and vote for Ireland and we can let the traitors know that we know who they are and we will advertise their voting intentions.

Padraigin

I just recieved this reply after I emailed all our TD's this morning about the bail out and no vote on it in the dail. I hope I have posted this in the correct section.

PRESS RELEASE

29/11/2010

McGrath rejects IMF/EU deal

Mattie McGrath TD has said he does not support the deal announced yesterday between the EU/IMF and Ireland and has said that it may be necessary to hold a referendum on the issue.

“We are being bullied into a totally unacceptable financial situation with near penal interest rates from which future generations will never be able to recover from”, said McGrath.

“I spoke with Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan TD on Sunday before the deal was announced and I am convinced that the IMF/ EU are putting the gun to Ireland’s head – they are insisting that senior bank bond holders who were engaged in market speculation are to be protected. This is a totally unacceptable situation leaving the ordinary Irish people to pay for their gambling and saddled with poverty as a result”, said McGrath.

Deputy McGrath has told Minister Lenihan in no uncertain terms that he must stand up for the interests of Irish citizens and that any proposed bailout involving international agreements will have to be put to the Dáil or alternatively to the people in a referendum.

“Article 29.5.2 of the constitution states that every international agreement to which the State becomes a party shall be laid before Dáil Éireann”, said McGrath. “If, as the Taoiseach has said, the agreement is not going before the Dáil, we will be constitutionally required to hold a referendum on it.”

“The people of Ireland, along with their elected representatives, have not been told the truth or have not been consulted for far too long on these vary serious issues for the future of our country.”

“The debts we are talking about were incurred, not by the government to pay for public services, but by private wheeler-dealers seeking nothing but their own profit. Yet ordinary Irish citizens are now bearing the burden of those debts,” said the Deputy. “It is an insult to the people to force us into borrowing money to protect the bond holders and the euro currency project and then seek to extort 5.8% interest in the process. The government must stand up and call a halt to this before we are plunged into generations of poverty.”

Le gach dea ghuí,

Mattie
* applause * to McGrath.

This deal absolutely postively has to be put to a vote in the Dail and, if it passes (hard to imagine), to the Irish people for a referendum vote.

The Irish Constitution does not allow a bunch of corrupt politicians to abjectly surrender the country's assets and sovereignity behind closed doors for the benefit of foreign banks and foreign investors.

This has to be openly put before the Irish people in all its ugliness and traitorous betrayal of trust and a vote taken before anything can happen.

This deal needs to be killed immediately..

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies