Maureen O'Sullivan's anti-hare coursing private members' bill.

Windowshopper

Muareen O'Sullivan is placing a private members bill to the Dáil to ban hare coursing. She announced this intiative at press conference with celebrities Linda Martin and Pauline McLynn. Clare Daly TD was also present.

'This is not a sport, it's just cruelty': Irish TV and music stars support ban on hare coursing

Full disclosure I come from coursing family and do attend coursing meetings so I would be not be in favour of this bill. The hares used in coursing are wild hare which are captured,tagged, trained to run up the course, coursed and then released into the wild. I think hare coursing gives people an incentive to preserve hare populations. Hare coursing has long stopped being a blood spot as greyhounds are required to be muzzled and dogs are not slipped if the slipper believes that the hare is too slow this means that the vast majority of hares survive. As for the argument that course distress hares, I would argue that it no more distressing that living in the wild where they would encounter natural predators. Also, I think when it comes to inhumane treatment of animals we'd be best to look at the treatment of many farm animals who spend their lives in battery conditions.

Instead of outright abolition I think better regulations should be brought in to reduce hare injury and in a minority of cases mortality, for example mandating that dogs are slipped by a greater distance from the hare, and instead of winning by turning the hare that the winner be declared as the closest dog to the hare when it runs into the hatch. I personally wouldn't not be not in favour of replacing hares with electronic substitutes. Its okay in track racing but coursing is a more exciting sport because of the hares, their speed and dexterity are admirable.

I know many posters disagree with my position and I hope they contribute as well.

Last edited:

making waves

This is not a surprise - Tony Gregory previously attempted to introduce a similar bill.

Full disclosure - both sides of my family have a tradition in greyhound racing and coursing (an uncle won the Irish Derby sometime in the 1960s)

My opinion - coursing is a blood sport and should be banned.

Windowshopper

This is not a surprise - Tony Gregory previously attempted to introduce a similar bill.

Full disclosure - both sides of my family have a tradition in greyhound racing and coursing (an uncle won the Irish Derby sometime in the 1960s)

I think the designation as a blood sport is inaccurate. The aim of the sport is not the death and injury of the hare, and hare deaths and injuries have been greatly reduced since the introduction of compulsory mussling in the early nineties.

Seanie Lemass

People who support the killing of unborn children and celebrate a revolution that led to millions of deaths for nothing, think that muzzled greyhounds chasing a hare, who is then released back into the wild, for 40 seconds is cruel.

Go figure .......

Barna

Muareen O'Sullivan is placing a private members bill to the Dáil to ban hare coursing. She announced this intiative at press conference with celebrities Linda Martin and Pauline McLynn. Clare Daly TD was also present.

'This is not a sport, it's just cruelty': Irish TV and music stars support ban on hare coursing

Full disclosure I come from coursing family and do attend coursing meetings so I would be not be in favour of this bill. The hares used in coursing are wild hare which are captured,tagged, trained to run up the coursed, coursed and then released into the wild. I think hare coursing gives people an incentive to preserve hare populations. Hare coursing has long stopped being a blood spot greyhounds are required to be muzzled and dogs are not slipped if the slipper believes that the hare is too slow meaning that the vast majority of hares are released into the wild. As for the argument that course distress hares, I would argue that it no more distressing that living in the wild where they would encounter natural predators. Also, I think when it comes to inhumane treatment of animals we'd be best to look at the treatment of many farm animals who spend their lives in battery conditions.

Instead of outright abolition I think better regulations should be brought in to reduce hare injury and in a minority of cases mortality, for example mandating that dogs are slipped by a greater distance from the hare, and instead of winning by turning the hare that the winner be declared as the closest dog to the hare when it runs into the hatch. I personally wouldn't not be not in favour of replaying hares with electronic substitutes. Its okay in track racing but coursing is a more exciting sport because of the hares, their speed and dexterity are admirable.

I know many posters disagree with my position and I hope they contribute as well.
Excellent post.
I agree with you entirely.
Wait for the tree huggers though, they usually pipe up around this time......

making waves

People who support the killing of unborn children
I take it that you missed Micheal Moore's interview last week where he spoke about those who condemn abortion not giving a sh*t about the babies when they are actually born

and celebrate a revolution that led to millions of deaths for nothing,
The deaths were not caused by the revolution - but by counter-revolution. And if you really want to do a headcount then let's start by all those killed in the religious wars over the centuries by those who want to 'protect the unborn'.

think that muzzled greyhounds chasing a hare, who is then released back into the wild, for 40 seconds is cruel.
Anytime animals are injured or killed for the sport of humans you have cruelty.

Go figure .......
Indeed - pot calling kettle :roll:

freewillie

Oh the poor little bunny wunnies

Seanie Lemass

Excellent post.

Noooooooo! We agree on something. Going to lie down for a while .....

MW, Marxists have used violence on a vast scale against humans.

They are therefore in no position to lecture anyone about hare coursing.

Coursing is not a blood sport. The dogs are muzzled and the hares are released. Indeed there would be nowhere as many hares as there are were it not for coursing clubs.

Bea C

Excellent post.
As an accountant member of Fianna Fáil whose hero is Charles Haughey, I probably wouldn't adhere to the cliche of a 'treehugger'.
But I'm a member of the ICABS since I was in school.

Bea C

Noooooooo! We agree on something. Going to lie down for a while .....

Coursing is not a blood sport. The dogs are muzzled and the hares are released. Indeed there would be nowhere as many hares as there are were it not for coursing clubs.
I'm not a Marxist.

darkhorse

A totally harmless activity
Just another attempt by the PC Left to bully the population into submitting to their rule

Seanie Lemass

I'm not a Marxist.

Therefore you are not a hypocrite!

I have no problem with people opposing hare coursing. That is their right.

I do find it laughable that a /Marxist like Clare Daly whose heroes are Lenin and Trotsky who were open advocates of terror and slaughter of opponents pretends to be emotional about hares being chased up a field. It is absurd.

Windowshopper

To be honest when I post this I thought I'd get dog's abuse for saying that I liked coursing, and I was going to put a 'please be respectful' bit in my OP., but I thought it was patronizing. Unfortunately it seems that it's these 'tree huggers' and 'PC liberal' who seem to get in the neck. I am fully happy to admit that most anti-coursing people like most coursing people are good people,can we stick to the issue without culture war caricatures?

Bea C

Full disclosure I come from coursing family and do attend coursing meetings so I would be not be in favour of this bill. The hares used in coursing are wild hare which are captured,tagged, trained to run up the course, coursed and then released into the wild. I think hare coursing gives people an incentive to preserve hare populations. Hare coursing has long stopped being a blood spot as greyhounds are required to be muzzled and dogs are not slipped if the slipper believes that the hare is too slow this means that the vast majority of hares survive. As for the argument that course distress hares, I would argue that it no more distressing that living in the wild where they would encounter natural predators. Also, I think when it comes to inhumane treatment of animals we'd be best to look at the treatment of many farm animals who spend their lives in battery conditions.

Instead of outright abolition I think better regulations should be brought in to reduce hare injury and in a minority of cases mortality, for example mandating that dogs are slipped by a greater distance from the hare, and instead of winning by turning the hare that the winner be declared as the closest dog to the hare when it runs into the hatch. I personally wouldn't not be not in favour of replaying hares with electronic substitutes. Its okay in track racing but coursing is a more exciting sport because of the hares, their speed and dexterity are admirable.

Firstly, you're capturing the animal.
You're stuffing what is quite a solitary animal all in on top of each other for varying lengths of time.
The dynamic is completely different to being the victim of a natural predator, as they're aware of their environment there.
How is the cruelty of other animals justification for maltreating another?
And the hare is left traumatised and whilst perhaps a limb isn't half torn off, it is often injured as it bounces off into the horizon.

GDPR

A lot of "Tree Huggers" are anything but PC Liberals. The people who set up the Animal Liberation Front in Northern Ireland were involved in or close the "Political Soldier" wing of the National Front.

making waves

The ruling elites and the religious zealots have used violence against humans on a vast scale - Marxists abhor violence. Marxists are not pacifists - they support the right of working class people to defend themselves from the onslaught of those who rule by violence.

Take note - in the past year wars foisted on the working class and the poor by the imperialist powers and the religious zealots have created 65 million refugees - more than at anytime in the history of humankind - and not a Marxist in sight.

Who is lecturing who - I stated that 'in my opinion' coursing is a blood sport and should be banned. If you want to see who is doing the lecturing you should look in the mirror.

Hares are taken from the wild, used for the sport of humans and suffer injury and death for this 'sport' - you can classify whatever way you want - in my opinion the abuse of wild animals in such a fashion is the very definition of a 'blood sport'

Bea C

A totally harmless activity
Just another attempt by the PC Left to bully the population into submitting to their rule
What percentage of the population at large engage in this activity?
Who wouldn't regard it as anything but repugnant?

Jack O Neill

Firstly, you're capturing the animal.
You're stuffing what is quite a solitary animal all in on top of each other for varying lengths of time.
The dynamic is completely different to being the victim of a natural predator, as they're aware of their environment there.
How is the cruelty of other animals justification for maltreating another?
And the hare is left traumatised and whilst perhaps a limb isn't half torn off, it is often injured as it bounces off into the horizon.
since hunting of hares stopped in the countryside the hare population has collapsed , urbanites should not involve themselves in something they know nothing about

darkhorse

What percentage of the population at large engage in this activity?
Who wouldn't regard it as anything but repugnant?

Its not a particularly interesting sport imv
But if people want to watch it, that is their right
If you don't like it then don't watch it

luggage

What is the point of it? What satisfaction can you get, if any, from watching one animal, who is a predator, chase another, which cannot defend itself?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies