• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Maurice McCabe to retire this evening

The OD

Looking forward to this 2-part documentary that RTE are preparing.
All the best to Garda McCabe, the finest of citizens and a credit his country.

Lets hope they don't get 'lie' and 'untruth' mixed up.

Again.

james toney

What punishment did former Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan get,after he told a Dáil deputy in early 2014 that whistleblower Sgt Maurice McCabe had sexually abused his own family?

The OD

What punishment did former Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan get,after he told a Dáil deputy in early 2014 that whistleblower Sgt Maurice McCabe had sexually abused his own family?
I doubt there will be anything until the final report is in, but at the very least, I am sure McCabe will have his day in court with Callinan.

brughahaha

Callinan and his mates were and are too powerful, no significant discipline been handed out yet, they will hope it will come to pass with the retirements that have occurred.
The Irish Public Service way ...... No one is responsible , no one is accountable no one will face any sanction, all will be allowed to retire on full massive pensions and lets all just move on and pretend it wasn't institutional , illegal or corrupt ..........

The States solution every time shenanigans , waste and incompetence let alone corruption are uncovered

milipod

He has to wear that moustache forever.

stanley

The Irish Public Service way ...... No one is responsible , no one is accountable no one will face any sanction, all will be allowed to retire on full massive pensions and lets all just move on and pretend it wasn't institutional , illegal or corrupt ..........

The States solution every time shenanigans , waste and incompetence let alone corruption are uncovered

All benchmarked against Bertie and Biffo who are top of the pile at 300k each, because they get to make the rules, hail Caesar and Caesar Junior.

bagel

Garda whistleblower Sgt Maurice McCabe to retire
According to Katie Hannon on morning Ireland, a major documentary on the scandal is on the way.
What is likely to be revealed?
Sweet F All will be revealed.
The Interim Report had to exonerate O'Sullivan because the Govt had already secured the UN job for her and the Govt couldn't therefore be left with egg on its face.

Callinan is disgraced to appease the masses.
His sidekick is destroyed for blowing the whistle.
The damage is contained.

Nothing to see here.
Move on.

bagel

.....if he was of a mind, I could see a career in politics for McCabe, although if I was him I think I would want to keep out of the limelight from here on in.
Are you winding us up or what?
Why would McCabe besmirch himself by becoming involved in politics?
Didn't two Ministers for Justice turn a blind eye to his persecution and threw him to the wolves.
The good man surely realises that many senior politicians in this country are worse scumbags than his bosses that persecuted him.

bagel

What age is he?

I only ask as up until the massive expansion in 3rd level participation most recruits entered between the age of 18 & 21...so it looks ( t my age profiling of irish people is getting noticeably hairier the longer I am away.....complexion and diet are less and less typical of what I am surrounded by daily) like he might have had a relatively "late vocation".....wonder if this contributed to his contrary point of view regarding custom & practice?
He could have joined at 18 years of age. He needed 30 years service to retire on full pension but still cannot retire until reaching 50 years of age.
He may well be much younger than he appears but what he has endured would age any man twenty years.

bagel

Looking forward to comment by the GRA and AGSI.

They were oddly quiet while one of their colleagues was under the cosh. Funny how that happened.
Those two organisations no longer have any credibility with the hardworking decent people of this country. They remained sthum while one of their own was persecuted by their 'betters'. Gutless sleeveens.

bagel

I imagine he wants to step away from it all.....
No point in Maurice staying in the force. His goose is cooked. Nobody above him in his direct chain of command can recommend him for promotion because they're the very ones who condemned him and made his life a misery. They're not going to turn around now and admit they're wrong. The Garda Siochana will close ranks now tighter than ever before.

cricket

There's a final report due yet. After it is out in the open and any litigation related to the entire affair has been dealt with, I would like to see the establishment of some sort of medal or award for people in private or public employment who have done the state service through honesty and persistence. It should be named after McCabe and any decisions about who should get it kept away from politicians.

bagel

Shame they didn't arrange for a promotion to a significant position before he retired, if only for a few days. It would have sent a good message.
Doing so would be an admission that they, those at the top, were wrong and there's no way on earth they'd admit that. They sacrificed two heads and the populace are now appeased. The authorities will want to play this down and move on as quickly as possible.
If those in power really want to pay tribute to Maurice McCabe they they should award him the Scott Medal for Bravery because what Maurice did is one of the bravest things ever done by a Garda.

hiding behind a poster

There's a final report due yet. After it is out in the open and any litigation related to the entire affair has been dealt with, I would like to see the establishment of some sort of medal or award for people in private or public employment who have done the state service through honesty and persistence. It should be named after McCabe and any decisions about who should get it kept away from politicians.
So who should decide, then?

Emily Davison

The man has probably done more for the Garda and the public than anyone.
I do not think the controversial appointment of Harris has done anything to restore any confidence in them.

If people genuinely seen a few convictions eg Calinan with 100% transparency resulting with individuals charged over the penalty points/ alcohol testing ,it might do something
McCabe had an hour and a half meeting with Harris. McCabe found Harris to be a genuine decent man.

The OD

Are you winding us up or what?
No, I am talking about the level of support he could get if he wanted to, not saying he will or should.

Why would McCabe besmirch himself by becoming involved in politics?
Perhaps for the same reason he exposed the penalty points carry on?

Didn't two Ministers for Justice turn a blind eye to his persecution and threw him to the wolves.
Yes
The good man surely realises that many senior politicians in this country are worse scumbags than his bosses that persecuted him.
True.

The OD

So who should decide, then?
A panel made up of Hugh McElvaney, Sean Conlon, Michael Lowry and Alan Farrell at a dinner hosted by Denis Naughten and David McCourt.

Only joking, Alan Farrell is of course in too much pain with a bad back....

:roflmao:

james toney

Interesting comment from TD John McGuinness about Charlie Flanagan...and his treatment of Muarice McCabe.

"The Minister has some neck to go on TV this evening. Charlie, will you support the other whistle-blowers that I told you about?"

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies