• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Maurice McCabe to retire this evening

The OD

Interesting comment from TD John McGuinness about Charlie Flanagan...and his treatment of Muarice McCabe.

"The Minister has some neck to go on TV this evening. Charlie, will you support the other whistle-blowers that I told you about?"
Flanagan is one of Fine Gael's 'bewildered' cohort. Everything appears to be a surprise to him, like Frances Fitzgerald before him.

recedite

There's a final report due yet. After it is out in the open and any litigation related to the entire affair has been dealt with, I would like to see the establishment of some sort of medal or award for people in private or public employment who have done the state service through honesty and persistence. It should be named after McCabe and any decisions about who should get it kept away from politicians.
Good idea. It might be feasible nowadays to allow an online public vote. It would not be quite as important as say, electronic voting in a general election, so some tiny level of risk from undetected vote tampering would be acceptable.

hollandia

Naive nonsense.
I know quite a number of Gardaí personally, and know it to be fact. Unless your suggestion is that the majority aren't, in quick case you need something called evidence. You know, Statistics, court cases, convictions and so the like.

FunkyBoogaloo

I know quite a number of Gardaí personally, and know it to be fact. Unless your suggestion is that the majority aren't, in quick case you need something called evidence. You know, Statistics, court cases, convictions and so the like.
Normal, decent people would not have permitted all of the shenanigans and wrong-doings, highlighted over many years, that go (or went) on in AGS. They would have spoken out, resigned in disgust and/or blew the whistle.

As it happens how many of those "normal, decent" people have done just that? F.u.c.k. all, that's how many.

AGS could not be as corrupt and malfeasant as it is without its members.... those "normal, decent" folks.

FunkyBoogaloo

It's akin to saying "the majority of Irish people were normal, decent people". Normal and decent people who allowed the mass rape, torture and abuse of their own children and/or siblings...

It's a stupidly false statement.

hollandia

It's akin to saying "the majority of Irish people were normal, decent people". Normal and decent people who allowed the mass rape, torture and abuse of their own children and/or siblings...

It's a stupidly false statement.
Yes. This is a stupidly false statement. As naive as it is simplistic.

FunkyBoogaloo

Yes. This is a stupidly false statement. As naive as it is simplistic.
Dodge all you like but the sleep of reason brings forth monsters and we all have been asleep for far too long.

Ian Bailey, Frank McBrearty, Kieran Boylan, threats of rape, intimidation, harassment, Sallins train robbery, the Heavy Gang, Kerry Babies case, penalty points scandal, John McCarthy, Smithwick Tribunal, MacLochlainn Commission, missing evidence, missing money, fraud, bugging scandals, Maurice McCabe, wrongful convictions, phantom breath tests.... to name a few. The list goes on and on and on, and all across the state too over many, many decades.

And yet the majority of members of this cretinous and organised gang are "normal, decent" people? Pull the other one! The level and depth of the many scandals that have wholly damaged the credibility of AGS could not have happened if the majority were, as you posit, "normal, decent people".

However the institution is simply a reflection of Irish society which is itself corrupt and dysfunctional.

stanley

Once their bosses like Callinan and O'Sullivan walk into the room and shout the immortal words "Attention", anything normal and decent goes out the window, now they must do their superiors bidding come what may, as they must support their own families or suffer being ostracized and humiliated like McCabe has been, whose treatment has not made it any easier for future whistleblowers.

Maximus Cynicus

Once their bosses like Callinan and O'Sullivan walk into the room and shout the immortal words "Attention", anything normal and decent goes out the window, now they must do their superiors bidding come what may, as they must support their own families or suffer being ostracized and humiliated like McCabe has been, whose treatment has not made it any easier for future whistleblowers.
THIS.
Most guards are decent but who in the name of Jaysus would want the attention visited on Maurice McCabe for "going against the grain". Much easier to put in your 30years and retire to your true calling.

Obviously, there is a cohort of scumbags willing (nay, EAGER) to do their master's bidding as there is in any walk of life including the media.

Personally I believe it's a good thing that the Guards are not armed or Maurice McCabe would have been Serpico'ed a long time ago.

gijoe

The two part documentary was interesting but even I am left wondering if McCabe had been promoted upto Inspector, Superintendent etc would he have been a whistleblower? Is that also behind the whistleblowing??

Betson

Interesting doc , although not maybe the full story , RTE seemed to have whitewashed their role in all the negative spin on McCabe when he came out as whsitleblower first.

Also whitewashed out of the whole story(or at least the editing) were the far left TD's who were the only ones to stand by Mccabe and Wilson at the beginning when nobody in the press or the main political parties were anyway interested or listening.

Remember the dossier that M Martin produced in the Dail was given to him by Mick Wallace to see if the press would report on it if Martin produced it as the press were ignoring him when he was making the same claims.

If was also Wallace and co who went on the airwaves after the internal Gardai report to rubbish it after it said the Gardai had no case to answer , as far as the media and the main parties were concerned that was case closed.

Wallace and Daly and co never let it go and kept bring it up and making claims in the dail etc etc

I am not a fan of these far leftist polices but you must give them credit on this issue , but RTE whitewashed them out of this story.

Disillusioned democrat

I wish McCabe all the best now that he's "done" with this poxy state.

I am sorry though - although from McCabe's perspective I believe it's important - that we're never going to know how much the state's incompetence has cost the tax payer.

As Frances Fitzgerald campaigns for a nice pre-retirement sinecure in Brussels at our expense we'll never know how much her incompetence has cost us,

enuffisenuff

I am sorry though - although from McCabe's perspective I believe it's important - that we're never going to know how much the state's incompetence has cost the tax payer.

As Frances Fitzgerald campaigns for a nice pre-retirement sinecure in Brussels at our expense we'll never know how much her incompetence has cost us,

agreed..although I'm happy for McCabe its all hush hush and we're paying for it.. makes me sick!!

artfoley56

put simply, the state must not be allowed to enter into any secret settlements where malfeasance, malafides and incompetence are involved. once the huge figures are revealed it makes it an awful lot more difficult for the politicians to wash their hands of it.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
ah yes. Paddy's Cordial. The payout of a large sum of taxpayer's money tied to an NDA which means Paddy never gets to know how much this particular Cordial costs him.

Non-Disclosure Agreements are quite possibly the most common cover for corruption in the history of the state... unpublished reports into theft and graft within state agencies aside.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
put simply, the state must not be allowed to enter into any secret settlements where malfeasance, malafides and incompetence are involved. once the huge figures are revealed it makes it an awful lot more difficult for the politicians to wash their hands of it.
That would mean abolishing the HSE. Because the HSE could not exist without the cheque attached to an NDA system.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Odd how no TD has as far as I am aware ever tabled a question in the Oireachtas asking how much NDAs with payoffs have cost the state in the past few years.

Mainly because it is very unlikely the question would be ever tabled. Because if there is one thing that the Oireachtas would unite to fight off it would be any calculation showing how much the taxpayer has to pay each year so that professionals in civil and public pay never have to face any real consequences for ineptitude, fraud or malfeasance.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies