May to rebuff Irish with customs border demand

McSlaggart

Ministers are preparing to rebuff the Irish government and insist on the need for a customs border between the north and south of the island after Brexit.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/may-to-rebuff-irish-with-customs-border-demand-qbjd78b0r

........................... Wonder what will happen...........?

"Irish smuggling gangs poised to make MILLIONS from new custom rules after Brexit

IRISH smuggling gangs are ready to make millions of dollars exploiting new opportunities in the illegal sales of alcohol, cigarettes, fuel and livestock on its country’s borders post Brexit."

Irish smuggling gangs poised to make MILLIONS from new custom rules after Brexit | UK | News | Express.co.uk

They have absolutely no idea what they have taken on.

darkhorse

Ministers are preparing to rebuff the Irish government and insist on the need for a customs border between the north and south of the island after Brexit.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/may-to-rebuff-irish-with-customs-border-demand-qbjd78b0r

........................... Wonder what will happen...........?

"Irish smuggling gangs poised to make MILLIONS from new custom rules after Brexit

IRISH smuggling gangs are ready to make millions of dollars exploiting new opportunities in the illegal sales of alcohol, cigarettes, fuel and livestock on its country’s borders post Brexit."

Irish smuggling gangs poised to make MILLIONS from new custom rules after Brexit | UK | News | Express.co.uk
We will veto that and it will be back to WTO terms for the UK
Thus destroying their economy

Pardon the old and tired cliché; time will tell. In the meantime the EU will continue it's great work...
The thing about clichés is that they are so often true. Time will tell, of course. Most parties will claim - post ex facto - that their aims have been achieved. The Earth will continue to rotate.

PeaceGoalie

It'll be worth it to rub Sinn Fein's nose in it. Gerry Adams' United Ireland is the return of the B Specials. Brexit could also give the Brits a chance to abolish all the free handouts like Stormont. Take care of the DUP anmd stick it to Sinn Fein now tghat the latter lap dogs have served their purpose.
Britain survived before the EU. It will get through

greengoose2

The thing about clichés is that they are so often true. Time will tell, of course. Most parties will claim - post ex facto - that their aims have been achieved. The Earth will continue to rotate.
Hopefully it will. In the meantime, the population of this rotating planet will continue to delude itself in thinking that the EU, UN, USA and all the rest are great ways to run the place. I would be more concerned with the Korean fireworks displays than that Brexit nonsense. It hasn't yet happened fully and the border has not yet materialised. Same goes for the Great Wall of Mexico.

I would be more concerned with the homeless saga, the Nama saga, the youth unemployment saga than the up to now, non existant border and the impending Brexit Armageddon!

Jack O Neill

It'll be worth it to rub Sinn Fein's nose in it. Gerry Adams' United Ireland is the return of the B Specials. Brexit could also give the Brits a chance to abolish all the free handouts like Stormont. Take care of the DUP anmd stick it to Sinn Fein now tghat the latter lap dogs have served their purpose.
Britain survived before the EU. It will get through

pathetic , even taken on board your levels of stupidity

Mad as Fish

Cliches, I often think, are a pleasant excuse not to bother with critical thinking and upon examination they are often found to be flawed to varying degrees.

Cliches, I often think, are a pleasant excuse not to bother with critical thinking and upon examination they are often found to be flawed to varying degrees.
Oh, I examine each and every one when presented. They are often true to the extent of becoming truisms.

The point is that they cannot be automatically discarded.

occams_butterknife

Oh, I examine each and every one when presented. They are often true to the extent of becoming truisms.

The point is that they cannot be automatically discarded.
What about when cliches contradict each other? E.g. "many hands make light work" and "too many cooks"?

What about when cliches contradict each other? E.g. "many hands make light work" and "too many cooks"?
I'd class those as platitudes rather than clichés. The sort of thing which appeared on those tear off calendars which were once popular.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies