May to rebuff Irish with customs border demand

hollandia

So the EU and the WTO will have to change their rules so that we "staters" can shop in Newry, as is our god-given right.
Damn right. Though your Newry shop is going to get more expensive as costs increase on the UK side to make up for the slide in sterling.

hollandia

Yeah but your euro will buy more sterling
And the cost will remain the same at best. But considering Tesco, Sainsbury and ASDA import most of their goods, what do you think will happen? The euro element of those prices will cause a price increase, and after brexit there will be tariffs. I don't think for example the indigenous Scottish citrus fruit industry will make up the shortfall in the cost of oranges and lemons, do you?

Strawberry

What the brits mean is that there'll be no border controls on their side of the border.

EU law as it stands will require border-trade controls on the south side. So it could be an attempt to get Leo on side, because his first duty is to us resident taxpaying citizens, not to the EU.
WTO rules require border trade controls on both sides, so unless the UK is also pulling out of the WTO there attempt to get Leo onside is a non starter.

LookWhoItIs

And the cost will remain the same at best. But considering Tesco, Sainsbury and ASDA import most of their goods, what do you think will happen? The euro element of those prices will cause a price increase, and after brexit there will be tariffs. I don't think for example the indigenous Scottish citrus fruit industry will make up the shortfall in the cost of oranges and lemons, do you?
Buy your fruit in Dundalk and head north for the other stuff? - I have no idea to be honest but I suspect it will be the same as always shopping traffic both ways depending on what you're after - I was just highlighting the obvious that a weaker sterling also means more spending power for southern shoppers

McTell

Twitter
No
I disagree - Leo's first duty is to keep his job and to keep FG in Government.
If he introduces border controls, he will lose both of the above.
So it's a non-runner.
///.

Surely we have an ancient and honorable tradition of shrugging shoulders, waving hands, raising eyebrows and saying that "Europe told us to..." ??

hollandia

Buy your fruit in Dundalk and head north for the other stuff? - I have no idea to be honest but I suspect it will be the same as always shopping traffic both ways depending on what you're after - I was just highlighting the obvious that a weaker sterling also means more spending power for southern shoppers
Like I said, that's only temporary until the differential is made up, usually six months or more after, due to big supermarkets having fixed price contracts with their suppliers.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies