May to rebuff Irish with customs border demand

greengoose2

While it makes geographical sense to make the border the Irish Sea, the British would feel that this would take Ireland one step closer to a united Ireland and in their minds this would register as loosing and the British arrogance still makes them believe superiority is theirs.
The British give nought for peace in Ireland, the Good Friday Agreement or anything that brings stability to a once colonised country.

They will throw peace in Ireland, trade, the free movement area and the ex pats living in Ireland to the dogs if it makes them look like they, in their own feeble minds, won a war. They will not care that this isolates Ireland from Europe as they want desperately for another country to exit the EU, so that they can crow 'how right that they were' to leave. They care nought for the effect that it would have on Ireland or any other country that they could manipulated into leaving.

They expected other countries to leave and thus be the 'leaders' again.
You should be writing scripts for Fair City!

Wascurito

Ministers are preparing to rebuff the Irish government and insist on the need for a customs border between the north and south of the island after Brexit.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/may-to-rebuff-irish-with-customs-border-demand-qbjd78b0r

........................... Wonder what will happen...........?
Meh. It's only The Tomes. I remember a few years ago they ran some other nonsense story about the Chancellor wanting the Irish government to take over the bailout of the Irish subsidiary of a UK bank. If that newspaper wants to be a conduit for Whitehall kite-flying, it's up to them but they'll be taken less seriously as a result.

Mick Mac

The following is interesting.

Richard Bird of the Huffington Post

Can we dump the EU and rely on ‘global trade’? Philip Hammond has just been to Brazil on a little trip which must have cost the taxpayer £10,000. He has announced a plan of £3 billion in subsidies to encourage British firms to export there. £3 billion of our taxpayer money, to send stuff 6000 miles across the Atlantic to a country which represents 1% of our EU market, instead of sending the same stuff 23 miles across the Channel. Madness? Judge for yourself.
These are the facts; In 2016, our exports to the countries where Liam Fox, Boris Johnson and Philip Hammond have been making expensive jaunts to promote British exports were:
Brazil 1.9 bn
India 3.5 bn
Australia 4.2 bn
China 14.1 bn
United States 48.3 bn
While we exported to the EU/EEA. ............... £ 156 bn.
It will take an awful lot of ‘promotion’ to make up for losing our biggest market. And trade deals can take an awful long time to be agreed....
Imports? Most of our food imports are from the EU. If we leave, food prices are forecast to rise by up to 20%.
If Britain loses that market then the EU needs to source new supply chains, and would presumably lose its exports in return about 300 billion.
That's a few pennies.

That's not in their favor either.

Some interesting points here.
https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

Mick Mac

Calm down, Sister. It's probably a response to his comments but there's no substance to it.
Varadakar to learn that despite his belief he is half Irish and half Indian to the British he is 100% Mick.

After all of this is over he might have lost the privileged view on British-irish interactions.

firefly123

It'll be worth it to rub Sinn Fein's nose in it. Gerry Adams' United Ireland is the return of the B Specials. Brexit could also give the Brits a chance to abolish all the free handouts like Stormont. Take care of the DUP anmd stick it to Sinn Fein now tghat the latter lap dogs have served their purpose.
Britain survived before the EU. It will get through
That's the objective now? 1973 Britain?

If the bar was set any lower it would be touching the ground.

If this article is correct then the UK are now our direct competitors and therefore we play all our cards to deny them as much as possible. It's will unfortunately affect our fellow Irish north of the border worst of all but it might hasten a Shift towards unity and therefore be worth it. As of now the conservative dup government should be seen as hostile to Irish interests

tsarbomb

If this report is true, it flies in the face of what the Tory party themselves have set out as policy going forward, and won't sit at all well with their DUP allies.

This smacks of kite-flying, and rabble baiting. Both titles have form here.

If it does morph into policy, then quid pro quo. Stick Frontex on the Border and wrap it up tight. And then hit back very hard when the UK comes knocking about postBrexit trade deals.
Those Frontex people better have a lot of Kevlar vests at the ready.....

silverharp

That's the objective now? 1973 Britain?

If the bar was set any lower it would be touching the ground.

If this article is correct then the UK are now our direct competitors and therefore we play all our cards to deny them as much as possible. It's will unfortunately affect our fellow Irish north of the border worst of all but it might hasten a Shift towards unity and therefore be worth it. As of now the conservative dup government should be seen as hostile to Irish interests
who wants an united Ireland? in principal I wouldnt vote for it unless the majority of protestants want it and still no if its financially dodgy. Why turn Ireland into Belgium where they all hate each other

firefly123

who wants an united Ireland? in principal I wouldnt vote for it unless the majority of protestants want it and still no if its financially dodgy. Why turn Ireland into Belgium where they all hate each other
Who wants a united ireland? I believe an overwhelming majority of Irish people but thanks to some nicely drawn maps in the 1920s that has been out of reach. Ireland isn't Belgium . If and when (and i increasingly see it as when) ireland is united then the option of being British is off the cards as GB won't make any claim on the territory.
there isn't much point in being unionist once that happens. If it really bothers some they can of course resettle on the "mainland".
Do people now have to state their religion at the polling station?

silverharp

Who wants a united ireland? I believe an overwhelming majority of Irish people but thanks to some nicely drawn maps in the 1920s that has been out of reach. Ireland isn't Belgium . If and when (and i increasingly see it as when) ireland is united then the option of being British is off the cards as GB won't make any claim on the territory.
there isn't much point in being unionist once that happens. If it really bothers some they can of course resettle on the "mainland".
Do people now have to state their religion at the polling station?
not sure what the polling stations have to do with it,if its just a standard referendum you'd know what way the wind is blowing. the 20's were different, it would have been "fun" putting the boot into the northern prods back then. personally not interested in any triumphalist march in to the Shankill and getting a boner as everything is painted green. At the moment there is nowhere in Ireland where its dodgy to be Irish, in a united Ireland there would be places where its dodgy to be "irish" so fck that

firefly123

not sure what the polling stations have to do with it,if its just a standard referendum you'd know what way the wind is blowing. the 20's were different, it would have been "fun" putting the boot into the northern prods back then. personally not interested in any triumphalist march in to the Shankill and getting a boner as everything is painted green. At the moment there is nowhere in Ireland where its dodgy to be Irish, in a united Ireland there would be places where its dodgy to be "irish" so fck that
How do you determine a majority of protestants voted one way or the other?I don't want any parades or sticking boots in. I see a united ireland as a chance to fix the south too.

I don't like how this kite is being flown about it no longer being 50% plus 1 . It's now a majority of an undefined group. So suddenly after 100 years of majority being good enough it has to be an all inclusive and impossible unionist who is actually a nationalist voter majority?
Serious goal post moving.
As for it not being safe to be Irish in parts of a newly united ireland that is just great. We should let the thugs and terrorists decide now?

forest

firefly123

which will mean a hard border
If what the article says is correct that is gonna happen anyway.

It appears the British gambit is that we will fold and jump out with them.

wombat

I don't like how this kite is being flown about it no longer being 50% plus 1 . It's now a majority of an undefined group. So suddenly after 100 years of majority being good enough it has to be an all inclusive and impossible unionist who is actually a nationalist voter majority?
Serious goal post moving.
I can only speak for myself but I don't see the logic of the equation: Border poll vote 50% + for unity = unity. I don't see the attraction in having a large discontented minority in one area of the country. At present, they can't even agree to operate a glorified county council so why would they be able to participate in running a national govt? (they does not refer to unionists alone)

Strawberry

I can only speak for myself but I don't see the logic of the equation: Border poll vote 50% + for unity = unity. I don't see the attraction in having a large discontented minority in one area of the country. At present, they can't even agree to operate a glorified county council so why would they be able to participate in running a national govt? (they does not refer to unionists alone)
I'll leave to others to argue the logic - I'll just point out that any objections to that equation should have been aired at the time it was written into the GFA. Its too late now, because reneging on that agreement now would be a mistake of 1918 proportions.

Tribal

If they're going for a hard border anyway, threatening that a veto will mean a hard border becomes meaningless.
It's not meaningless if the veto was lodged in objection to the UK imposing a hard border. All the responsibility for what happens after will then fall on the UK. It's a point of principle.

Mickeymac

I'll leave to others to argue the logic - I'll just point out that any objections to that equation should have been aired at the time it was written into the GFA. Its too late now, because reneging on that agreement now would be a mistake of 1918 proportions.

It would appear to me, some West Brits have already rewritten the GFA.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies