Maybe Reader's Digest Mag Was Right all along: Laughter is the Best Medicine

Mitsui2

I've been wondering whether to post this in US Politics or Humour - it can be hard to tell the difference in these strange days. But in the end I tossed a coin and wound up here.

We have two tv setups in our house, in adjoining rooms. The tv in each is linked to a separate satellite dish, one yer bogstandard Skydish and the other one that catches (among others) the Dutch and German stations my wife favours.

Tonight we were sitting in separate rooms watching stuff on our respective screens - the average modern nuclear (or nucleated) family. About an hour ago, though, Mrs Mitsui came in here laughing her hole off and saying "You really have to see this!"

She did exactly the same thing last week, and what she showed me then was that fabulous Dutch "Holland Second" sketch from the show Zondag Met Lubach (Sunday with Lubach) that went viral later in the week. This one:

[video=youtube;j-xxis7hDOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-xxis7hDOE[/video]

Tonight being only Saturday, I knew it couldn't be some second installment. What it actually was, though, was a takeoff (of the takeoff) by the equivalent German show, plus an announcement I'll mention in a minute.

Here's the German one, which I think is - if anything - even funnier than the Dutch. This clip includes the host - who's the German comedian being sued by Erdogan.

[video=youtube;WcH9eWBs9fw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcH9eWBs9fw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

In the course of the clip he talks about a bizarre sort of Trump pisstake Eurovision, where various countries' versions of "XXXland Second" are being assembled.

At first this sounds like just one more joke, but as it turns out this bit is actually not a p1sstake - the website ("Who Wants To Be Second") is real, and as of right now it's live - in fact it's right here: [url=http://ww.everysecondcounts.eu/]Come to EU. It's huge. It's the greatest EU in the world![/URL]

I look forward very much to seeing its branches filled in.

The stewpot of nutbags and go-boys currently democratically occupying the most powerful offices in the "free" world may still wind up immolating us all, but at least it's beginning to look like it may be some kind of shot in the arm for European culture, and one of the few really trustworthy "Western Values" that has stood us in good stead at least since the Greeks - i.e. taking the p1ss out of bad authority.

Dearghoul

The Dutch one us is a howl.

The interface between Germany and humour remains a bit problematic.

Otherwise they're pretty sound.

NYCKY

The Dutch video was great. It was tremendous, let me tell you!!

GDPR

Im going to quote the great Peter Cook - "I always wanted a satirical comedy club like they had in Weimar Germany, which did so much to prevent WW2."

Dearghoul

Im going to quote the great Peter Cook - "I always wanted a satirical comedy club like they had in Weimar Germany, which did so much to prevent WW2."
Oh don't go all serious on us now Eaglers.

What about Orwell and the British public not taking to goose-stepping because they'd fall about the place laughing first?

Mitsui2

The interface between Germany and humour remains a bit problematic.
We Irish have to take a sort of metal step to the left to get German humour. Once you do that it's very consistent and bloody hilarious.

Though I'd Irish friends in Germany, and had visited often and partied with their German friends, I never really got the dry German humour till I was pals with a German jazz drummer in Amsterdam. Our humours overlapped, and over time I learned to extraoplate.

To stick with music - and jazz - the Germans were among the first Europeans to idolise Thelonious Monk, precisely because they found his music so funny - or rather funny and brilliantly intelligent at the same time.

In the same way, if you listen to recordings of Charles Mingus's fabulous European tour of 1964, you can in the German recordings distinctly hear people in the audience laugh at the instrumental funny bits as though reacting to a stand-up comedian. You don't hear the same things in the recordings from other countries - you just hear (admittedly well deserved) awe.

Again - and this is still a musical thing so forgive me - when I'm p1ssed off in life I listen to Der Plan's 1980s album Normalette Surprise and invariably come out the other end grinning.

And if you think I'm a bore about music, you should get me going on German movies!

It's a humour with different doors "in" for us folk - but it's the same humour.

SideysGhost

I particularly liked the Swiss one but maybe that's cos I lived in Zurich for a while.

Like Mitsui said, the Germanic peoples do have a sense of humour and once you get used to it it is hilarious. You just have to come at the world from a different angle than the Irish, British or US styles of humour we are far more familiar with. I've had plenty of literally rolling-on-floor good times in Switzerland and Germany down the years.

And rather spookily, I learned to "get" Germanic humour by being a regular in a jazz bar in Zurich :shock:

former wesleyan

German humour eh ? Another stitch in P.ie's great tapestry of life.

blokesbloke

Bless the Germans. They try and try at humour but when you have to directly copy a Dutch show it shows they haven't quite got it yet.

I thought the Dutch one was mildly amusing, but the only time I actually laughed was at the "grab them by the pony" bit.

Oh and the Dutch "Minister for Silly Walks" was quite funny too, but of course that required the Brits to help out... as usual! :rolleyes:

blokesbloke

What I liked about the Dutch video was that it does poke fun at the Netherlands but also mentions the current Zwarte Piet festival.

I wonder however if many viewers will digest the fact that, whilst it's a dig at President Trump for his alleged love of racism, it's also an acknowledgement that the Dutch themselves are not necessarily entirely blameless in this regard.

Perhaps other countries need to get their own houses in order before feeling too superior about and to President Trump?

The German one of course mentions Hitler and the Nazis, but there's always a slight undercurrent there I feel of "Yes we were appalling but that's all in the past and now we're incredibly liberal and tolerant and therefore free to lecture you".

I suppose what it all comes down to in deciding which is best is which presenter is cuter, and it's a close call. I would certainly enjoy a night with either.

Half Nelson

We Irish have to take a sort of mental step to the left to get German humour...
I often despair at the "official" Irish sense of humour when I see things like two guys with Dunnes' bags over their heads being lauded as some sort of modern comedic gurus.
And don't get me started on Mrs. Browne.

We have nothing to teach the Europeans where comedy is concerned.

redhead

Fantastic! Both of them.

I find the debate pigeonholing an entire nation's sense of humour to be somewhat ironic. After all we can lay claim to both Brendan Shine and Dylan Moran.

Imagine what the Germans say about the Brits:

Ah yes, English humour, zat funny little fat man viz glasses who chased half dressed vimen about, so funny...

or

Zat chubby man, I sink zat it actually his name, who tells jokes about vimen's menstruation, ve laffed so hard...

redhead

I often despair at the "official" Irish sense of humour when I see things like two guys with Dunnes' bags over their heads being lauded as some sort of modern comedic gurus.
And don't get me started on Mrs. Browne.

We have nothing to teach the Europeans where comedy is concerned.
snap!

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Of course, its a well fact ( alternative if you like!:rolleyes:) that the C.I.A bankrolled Readers Digest...

ticketyboo

I particularly liked the Swiss one but maybe that's cos I lived in Zurich for a while.

Like Mitsui said, the Germanic peoples do have a sense of humour and once you get used to it it is hilarious. You just have to come at the world from a different angle than the Irish, British or US styles of humour we are far more familiar with. I've had plenty of literally rolling-on-floor good times in Switzerland and Germany down the years.

And rather spookily, I learned to "get" Germanic humour by being a regular in a jazz bar in Zurich :shock:
I can't really respond with any authority on this, but having lived and worked in Germany I could venture that Germans have a good sense of humour, but it's more understated and droll than maybe Irish or British and certainly America, where, along with the undoubted (for me) superiority of their best comedies, there's too much emphasis on being "zany", "wacky"...."crazy"....
Nowhere more so than those four irritating cúnts who do that "game for a laugh" style secret filming who laugh uncontrollably at their own juvenile antics to convince us how funny they are that they can't stand up straight..."Impractical jokers", I think...
I mention this because my experience of Germany was the polar opposite...very dry and didn't need your validation with uncontrolled mirth....once travelling and being stuck behind a Trabant for some distance my driver shrugged and said....this was in 1990....that "they have been Russians for too long"...which doesn't read as being particularly funny but being in the car it was....
A German man I met once talking about the Swiss described them as being too rigid, too precise about everything, were all work, work, work, too much stick up their arse about drink....he was parodying what we believed about Germany and Germans which I thought was very clever....he understood what we believed about the stereotypes of Germans and deployed it very cleverly...

Dearghoul

Fantastic! Both of them.

I find the debate pigeonholing an entire nation's sense of humour to be somewhat ironic. After all we can lay claim to both Brendan Shine and Dylan Moran.

Imagine what the Germans say about the Brits:

Ah yes, English humour, zat funny little fat man viz glasses who chased half dressed vimen about, so funny...

or

Zat chubby man, I sink zat it actually his name, who tells jokes about vimen's menstruation, ve laffed so hard...
There's a complete oddity shown on German Telly every Christmas.

From the jumpy camerawork it dates, I would say to the forties or earlier.

Basically it's a music hall type plot in which a creaking elderly butler brings Madam her needs in a shakier and shakier manner as he downs the Christmas sherry. The refrain is, (if I remember rightly) 'Will that be all Madam? The whole thing is of another era entirely and probably wasn't even funny in that one, but here's the thing; It's shown on Telly every Christmas, and afterwards the viewers nod sagely to each other and someone senior says that this is 'An example of 'Typical British Humour'.

I was intrigued when I heard Danny Baker describe seeing this in Germany at Christmastime. Danny is a very seamless and interesting radio presenter who's personality seems to fit ill with the powers that be on whatever station he presents on and needs to be followed around the dial a bit. I digress...

I was in Berlin in March some years back and begged friends to drag it out of the vaults by way of 'watch again' or some equivalent.

I watched in increasing mesmerised disbelief.

When it was over, there was a short pause before someone said, without any seeming conviction, that this 'was an example of typical British Humour'

There is a bit of a gulf.

What the French find funny.....don't get me started.

New Threads

Most Replies