• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Maynooth: 'strange goings on'

statsman

It appears that Catholic Archbishop of Dublin Dr. Martin has decided that the seminary is not a fit place for the training of priests and has decided to send the three trainees from the Dublin diocese who currently attend the college to Rome instead.

His reasons center around 'strange goings on' in Maynooth, which he says 'seems like a quarrelsome place with anonymous letters being sent around'.

WTF?

Martin moves priests out of Maynooth over

automaticforthepeople

Sounds queer to me? Archbishop Martin's has an appetite for foreign travel. I suppose if he bases his seminarians in Rome, he's more likely to run into them there than in the Maynooth parish of his own diocese.

between the bridges

Say No to Rome Rule...

gijoe

Stuff about what went in St Patrick's College has been basis of legend for donkey's years - a lot of it true I'm reliably told.

Cynicist

Sounds queer to me? Archbishop Martin's has an appetite for foreign travel. I suppose if he bases his seminarians in Rome, he's more likely to run into them there than in the Maynooth parish of his own diocese.
Surely in Rome the issue of gay priests in the upper reaches of the Holy See has not been sorted.

Not long before the College of Cardinals gathered in the Sistine Chapel for the conclave to choose the 266th Pope, the largest Italian daily newspaper, La Repubblica, reported that a “gay lobby”—a more or less unified cabal of homosexual power brokers—might be operating inside the Vatican.

According to the newspaper, the possible existence of this gay lobby was among the many secrets described in a two-volume, 300-page report bound in red and presented to Pope Benedict XVI by three cardinals he had appointed to investigate the affair known as “VatiLeaks.”

Perhaps, there is a higher class of contacts to be made in Rome which is very necessary to keep the Irish church in the loop of influence.

Half Nelson

The mainstream media are very late picking up on this.
In addition, having spoken to somebody close to the action (so to speak), I know the mainstream media version is very lazy and misleading.

A lot has been happening in Maynooth of late.

‘Inappropriate’ behaviour claim robustly dealt with – Maynooth | The Irish Catholic

Bishops rebel over Maynooth seminary
A number of Maynooth student priests who were reportedly asked to take time out of seminary because they were ‘too conservative’ are to return to the college in the autumn after interventions by a number of bishops

rgaok

It appears that Catholic Archbishop of Dublin Dr. Martin has decided that the seminary is not a fit place for the training of priests and has decided to send the three trainees from the Dublin diocese who currently attend the college to Rome instead.

His reasons center around 'strange goings on' in Maynooth, which he says 'seems like a quarrelsome place with anonymous letters being sent around'.

WTF?

Martin moves priests out of Maynooth over
Most men in ireland who have joined the priesthood are immature and not the brightest. many are gay and it's a place for them to hide..

d7bohs

Stuff about what went in St Patrick's College has been basis of legend for donkey's years - a lot of it true I'm reliably told.
Colm Toibin, writing a few years ago:

"I have a letter from a friend, an Irish writer, sent in response to a piece I wrote for this paper about the Ferns Report, describing his visit to an Irish seminary in the 1980s.​* Since the Church was liberalising at that time, it would not have been unusual for writers to be invited to seminaries to speak. My friend had no intention of being shocking, or amusing. He spoke about literature, choosing the dullest subject for the seminarians. What he noticed among them, however, was anything but dull; and it surprised him greatly. He saw an immense amount of male fluttering; he listened as young candidates for the priesthood, boys from rural Ireland, attempted Wildean witticisms; he noticed them wearing specially tailored soutanes, moving around each other, excitedly, like a flock of girls. Here it was, and he was not the only one to witness it: ‘the takeover of the seminaries by homosexuals’"

Colm Tóibín reviews

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
The mainstream media are very late picking up on this.
In addition, having spoken to somebody close to the action (so to speak), I know the mainstream media version is very lazy and misleading.

A lot has been happening in Maynooth of late.

‘Inappropriate’ behaviour claim robustly dealt with – Maynooth | The Irish Catholic

Bishops rebel over Maynooth seminary
that doesn't make it any clearer, are some of the seminarians complainng from overseas?

EoinMag

that doesn't make it any clearer, are some of the seminarians complainng from overseas?
They're too traditional, not down with the gay stuff...so they had to go.

petaljam

They're too traditional, not down with the gay stuff...so they had to go.
I thought "the gay stuff" was traditional - wasn't that the explanation (by several Catholics on here, among others) about historical child abuse by clerics?

stopdoingstuff

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies