• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Mayo Local Elections

west'sawake

Who will be the big winners and losers in 2009?
I think F.G. will still retain control of the Co Co but make only one gain, or none. F.G. will definitley gain a seat in Ballina UDC, they have a very good team. Sinn Fein will increase their vote but not enough to gain anything extra in the Co Co. FF will hold most of their seats, maybe losing only one because of most of their candidates running individual campaigns and many also, to be fair, are respected in their own right as individuals, i.e. a personal and not a party vote. A surprise result might be the election of young Moffatt for Labour, he could get the dissaffected FF vote and the fact that his Uncle was former Junior Minister, and there are other doctors in that family with a huge Medical card practise, a long shot I know but I think he will give Dr Mickey Loftus's son, (Dr Mickey being a former G.A.A. president), a good run for his money to take a seat for Crossmolina in the Ballina electoral area, a seat they lost the last time out.

Last edited:

smch

How does it look for SF out there?

Ballina town councillor Peter Clarke has resigned fron Sinn Fein and is running as an independent.

In an interview with Mid-West he was very crtiical of the party.

atlantic

There will be damn all change its 75% them are the same old face ,unless Frankeen Durkan gets in and stirs it up a bit.

nephinman

Yes the maggot is back. Suppose he has a lot of time on his hands now with no property selling.

Cashel Hill

Claremorris will be an interesting battle. Six seats in a sizeable area, including three good-sized towns, and seven sitting councillors and two former councillors looking for seats. FG will probably take three (Cribben, O'Brien and Connolly or Burke), FF probably two (Ryan and one of the Claremorris trio), and one for Harry Walsh or Richard Finn, might be pushing it for both to win.

FG could gain a second seat in Belmullet, but making gains elsewhere will be difficult. FF might have a job taking additional seats, tide is probably out for them. Can't see others making much impact bar in Castlebar (Kilcoyne and Durcan in the hunt, Barrett trying to defend Mee's old seat), and Westport maybe. SF to retain Murray's seat and nothing else.

atlantic

He's retired was living in Spain I believe for a while,Young Pat was looking after things.
He's some boyo the same Frankeen ,he didn't get that m name for nothing.
Yes the maggot is back. Suppose he has a lot of time on his hands now with no property selling.

nephinman

Well i didnt know about the Spanish existence. What made me laugh though was the bould frans antics in relation to the Castlebar ring road in the mid eighties. Bloody road was the making of the town and the making of him

atlantic

Frankeen is one big s**t stirrer .He 'd row with his fingernails and cause strive in heaven .
Well i didnt know about the Spanish existence. What made me laugh though was the bould frans antics in relation to the Castlebar ring road in the mid eighties. Bloody road was the making of the town and the making of him

no.1

Connaught telegraph are predicting a landslide with FG tking 18 and FF left with just 9 seats

Fine Gael expected to take 4 in Claremorris, 4 in Ballina, 3 in Castlebar, 3 in Westport, 2 in Swinford, 2 in Belmullet.

Its a bit farfetched. The 4 in Claremorris is possible but Ballina in my opinion was a once off.

miley

Ballina Electoral Area

A few things to bear in mind here:
1 - FF poll-topper Annie May Reape remains as popular as ever and will once again head the poll. With clever management of the core FF vote, which remains steadfast, she can afford to drop 400 votes to her colleague Johnnie O'Malley and still be elected comfortably.

2 - Michael Loftus from Crossmolina is running a very impressive campaign and is by far the most vocal and PR savy candidate in the entire county. With the help of Dr. Mickey and Crossmolina's yearning for a cllr after a five years absence, he will push FG's Eddie Staunton to the limit.

3 - the aforementioned Eddie may be going to the well once too often. At 64 years of age and 28 years between him on the council, many may now believe that his lacklustre record should be punished by returning a younger man. i.e. Loftus or Jarlath Munnelly.

4 - Those who believe Munnelly in danger and reading the situation all wrong. He has lost 300 votes in the boundary divide but has no opposition in his heartland of Killala. He's a sure thing.

5 - The big surprise may be the struggle of Michelle Mulherin to get home. She has done nothing to endear herself to the public or indeed her own party faithful since the 2007 General Election and has backed the wrong horse on almost every issue since even voting against her own motion at one Area Electoral Meeting!

6 - Result: FG 3, FF 3

Peterdee

FG could gain a second seat in Belmullet, but making gains elsewhere will be difficult. FF might have a job taking additional seats, tide is probably out for them. Can't see others making much impact bar in Castlebar (Kilcoyne and Durcan in the hunt, Barrett trying to defend Mee's old seat), and Westport maybe. SF to retain Murray's seat and nothing else.
Who is at risk in Belmullet?

MacO'velli

I'm amazed Shell to sea haven't put forward any candidates, Surely if they had much support on the ground, they, or the pobal kilcommin people would gain by having elected representatives?

Cashel Hill

McNamara of FF possibly, the seat would end up staying in Achill with Kilbane probably, if McAndrew were to win it may have to be from fellow FG'er Gerry Coyle. Tim Quinn might be ok, and Holmes will gain from having Newport included, so should be safe. SF not to make a gain I suspect.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies