Mayo planning corruption investigation held in private

GDPR

The Standards in Public Office Commission (SIPOC) has agreed to a request by a Councillor to hold a planning corruption probe in private. The hearing got under way at SIPOC's offices yesterday, but after a preliminary application by a lawyer for Councillor Burke, reporters and the public were told that the proceedings would be held in private. According to SIPOC, Mayo county councillors Cyril Burke and Frank Durcan, along with the council's chief executive officer Peter Hynes, are alleged to have contravened the ethical frameworks for the Local Government Service.

The story related to claims by a county councillor that he was approached by a Fine Gael councillor and asked to cease inquiries which he was making into the appointment of a candidate to a local authority position. The Fine Gael councillor is alleged to have said that in return for stopping the inquiries he would help the other councillor secure planning permission for a site he owned. Believing the offer to be corrupt, the other councillor recorded conversations with the Fine Gael councillor during which they discussed how to obtain planning permission. The Fine Gael councillor has denied any wrong-doing.

The two articles are from the Independent today and back in 2014, and are covered above. I find it alarming that such planning corruption investigations are held in private, and yet again the public interest is a distant second it seems. Thoughts?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/corruption-probe-to-be-held-in-private-36255975.html
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mayo-council-not-contacted-over-report-on-planning-fraud-30747993.html

Socratus O' Pericles

Depressingly familiar story.

Sync

It’s going to be an investigation into criminal matters which could lead to a prosecution. Hard to see how that could take place in public.

I’m never convinced by these sort of things. If it’s a criminal issue, I want the criminal arm of the state to investigate. If it’s not criminal, we’ll lets beef up the Govt boards of enquiry in the way the UK and US oversight committees are.

This feels like a halfway house that won’t satisfy anyone.

Last edited:

ger12

I have no faith in SIPO.

First port of call should be a Garda investigation.

brughahaha

In a normal non corrupt western democracy such allegations would be investigated by the (competent) police authorities

In Ireland , we place a quango (Central Bank SIPO etc) between the offenders and the Gardai and prosecution. Usually a slow investigation takes place which will hopefully result in loss of public interest and the ability to it sweep under the carpet ....
Should that fail , some legal nicety wont be observed by the quangos investigation resulting in the case being dismissed

Wash rinse repeat ...what a rotten corrupt kip this country is ...by design

eoghanacht

It’s going to be an investigation into criminal matters which could lead to a prosecution. Hard to see how that could take place in public.

I’m never convinced by these sort of things. If it’s a criminal issue, I want the criminal arm of the state to investigate. If it’s not criminal, we’ll lets beef up the Govt boards of enquiry in the way the UK and US oversight committees are.

Which could lead to prosecutions......

eoghanacht

In a normal non corrupt western democracy such allegations would be investigated by the (competent) police authorities

In Ireland , we place a quango (Central Bank SIPO etc) between the offenders and the Gardai and prosecution. Usually a slow investigation takes place which will hopefully result in loss of public interest and the ability to it sweep under the carpet ....
Should that fail , some legal nicety wont be observed by the quangos investigation resulting in the case being dismissed

Wash rinse repeat ...what a rotten corrupt kip this country is ...by design

You forgot lose vital evidence, phones, minutes of meetings etc etc and if that fails have some new guy shred the evidence that can't be "lost". Give him a gov job as a reward.

cozzy121

Is this a repeat of that Carlow County Council whitewash that Phil Hogan orchestrated before he excreted irish water on to the nation and pished off to Europe.

Socratus O' Pericles

Absolutely, should be with the Gardaí.

ShoutingIsLeadership

How can anybody deny that we have political policing, of a form, in this country?

Matters like this, the tracker mortgage conspiracy to defraud, etc....they're nowhere to be seen.

Jobstown protest, impacting politicians - special until set up, dawn raids, children arrested, trumped up charges, Gardai telling untruths in the witness box...

Half Nelson

I have no faith in SIPO.

First port of call should be a Garda investigation.
*100. Who will investigate the investigator?

Supra

How can anybody deny that we have political policing, of a form, in this country?

Matters like this, the tracker mortgage conspiracy to defraud, etc....they're nowhere to be seen.

Jobstown protest, impacting politicians - special until set up, dawn raids, children arrested, trumped up charges, Gardai telling untruths in the witness box...
i doubt anyone will deny it. There seems to be a level of acceptance which hasn't been crossed yet.

eoghanacht

I can think of a few off the top of my head that will still insist that there's none.

brughahaha

Indeed , the first question on the FF FG and Labour application forms should be

"If we slap you in the face with blatant vested interests and rank hypocrisy do you solemnly swear to deny it exists or that you can see it in any way ...even to the point where it effects you're own family"

"Now i just need to stick a pin in your finger and place a few drops of your blood on this picture of St Patrick in your hand and then we'll we set fire to it while you swear an oath of loyalty ....now you're a member"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_initiation_ritual

GDPR

Is this a repeat of that Carlow County Council whitewash that Phil Hogan orchestrated before he excreted irish water on to the nation and pished off to Europe.
An utter disgrace that the person at the centre of it was left there and continues on like nothing ever happened.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Sync

Which could lead to prosecutions......��
Could. Which then fall apart because the accused says "Sher haven't I been tried already in the public and the meedya because of the public investigation" and it turns out the investigator was married to the accused's best pig's brother.

Dasayev

I think in a case where you have evidence, such as a recording, then the best thing to do is put it up on the internet for all to see. You'd certainly get maximum exposure that way.

Until we have a robust way to deal with such issues, then the best we can hope for is to leave it up to the court of public opinion.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies