Mayo planning corruption investigation held in private

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
If I had any confidence that the intent was to prevent any ensuing case in law coming a cropper I might agree with initial investigations being held in private.

Unfortunately Ireland isn't the sort of place where that sort of confidence is profitable.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

One should always assume that any dealings with FG might lead to corrupt practices.

Seeing as the former Taoiseach went out of his way to suppress Moriarty, its hardly tin foil hat territory we are in here.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Doesn't matter whether it is FF or Fine Gael to be honest. Probably the busiest area of corruption in the state happens at local authority level. Planning, zoning, it is a veritable orchard for the brown envelope gang of whatever stripe.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Wonder how the authorities in Galway are getting on with the fellow who allegedly managed to swipe a council house for his daughter.

Not heard much about that since. And the thing is that wouldn't exactly require an Agatha Christie level detective to amass evidence.

Determine the identity of the occupant. Examine the relevant council records on the allocation of the property.

I don't see why it should take so long to figure out something is not quite right on the housing list in Galway around the property concerned.

It was in February that this matter was brought to light.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/culture-community/254795-senator-makes-extremely-serious-allegation-against-senior-galway-city-council-staff.html

Last edited:

GDPR

Unfortunately cynicism seems to be the common response from posters. Very understandable yet quite depressing. Will SIPO exceed expectations? If they're on the floor, perhaps.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Must be a far-reaching investigation that's all I can say if it takes more than six months for gardai to discover whether there has been jiggery pokery with the allocation of properties to families of staff members in Galway.

It isn't as if the records are being kept by the Dept of Education and therefore subject to USC (Unexplained sudden conflagration).

Cailleach

Please and thank you

Would anybody be able to provide a link to full article from yesterday's Sindo written by Philip Ryan, headed 'Secret State: Planning case heard behind closed doors'. I tried to access it but couldn't.

SuirView

One should always assume that any dealings with FG might lead to corrupt practices.

Seeing as the former Taoiseach went out of his way to suppress Moriarty, its hardly tin foil hat territory we are in here.
But the govt accepts the findings of The Moriarty Tribunal!
One of those findings is that ex FG Minister Ml Lowry received payments from Denis O'Brien.
Anyone disagree?

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
heres the report Press Release - Investigation Report by the Standards in Public Office Commission - Standards in Public Office Commission
Durcan admitted
In 2007 with planning permission, it
was worth about €6.8 million. I had borrowed €2.5 million against the lands in
Aghalusky. In 2014, with planning permission, it was worth about €1.5 million.”
its not easily summarized Land zoning: Watchdog makes findings against two Mayo councillors over conduct

heres the Sindo article Fine Gael politician at centre of Garda planning fraud probe - Independent.ie interesting to see Philip Ryans part in it. he was there when Durcan recorded Cyril Burke but Durcan ended up getting more criticism then Burke.

Last edited:

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
there this part of the reports...
Councillor Burke also agreed under cross-examination by Counsel for Mr Hynes, with the proposition put to him that the purpose of raising the motion at the meeting on 10 September 2014 was to pursue an interest he (Councillor Burke) had at the time in lands connected with Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the Castlebar Town and Environs Plan (unconnected with Councillor Durcan’s land at Aghalusky).
https://www.sipo.ie/en/reports/investigation-reports/Investigation-Report-Councillor-Cyril-Burke which may have been a undeclared conflict of interest, but because it wasn't complained about it doens't seem to be followed up

it was suggested that Burke was doing this in order that he get an extra vote from Durcan to become mayor but SIPO found it couldn't say this was absolutely clear and didn't find agaisnt him on this point

Councillor Burke gave evidence that the proposal that was made at that meeting would in no way impact the lands at Aghalusky. During crossexamination, it was put to Councillor Burke that it was in his “interest to create a picture for Councillor Durcan that you were effectively working on his side in this matter, isn’t that right? Correct”. It was also put to Councillor Burke during cross-examination by Counsel for Mr Hynes, that he held out to Councillor Durcan “the prospect that his long awaited desire to have his own lands at Aghalusky rezoned would be advanced in some way if the Phase 1 and Phase 2 lands were effectively brought back into potential use for developments; is that right?” to which Councillor Burke answered “Yeah, you could say that. The only thing I would say is that Councillor Durcan is a councillor for 40 odd years, he knows the planning laws inside out”.
so Burke was doing something he knew wouldn't work and Durcan would have known it was useless, but somehow they both carried on... because Durcan was trying catch out Burke?

Durcan was desperate to get his land developed and had a grudge against the council so was trying to construct a scandal he could use as leverage. And of course the Indo helped him with it, because Philip Ryan was on team Leo?

Last edited:

valamhic

It’s going to be an investigation into criminal matters which could lead to a prosecution. Hard to see how that could take place in public.

I’m never convinced by these sort of things. If it’s a criminal issue, I want the criminal arm of the state to investigate. If it’s not criminal, we’ll lets beef up the Govt boards of enquiry in the way the UK and US oversight committees are.

This feels like a halfway house that won’t satisfy anyone.
I can verify that the criminal arm of the state have have often investigated such cases. Anyone can make a complaint in writing

Remember breaches of ethics are not always criminal.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies