Mayo Priest uses Mass to decry Yes voters

USER1234

A Mayo priest calls out Yes voters in the middle of Mass

A CATHOLIC PRIEST in Ballina, Co Mayo dedicated both weekend homilies to calling out the members of his congregation who had voted Yes in the referendum on same-sex marriage on 22 May.

Fr Tom Doherty, the curate of the parish who was ordained in November 2013, told the congregation that people who voted Yes had given ‘two fingers’ to the Catholic Church.

He used the analogy of ‘barbarians at the gate’ to describe the result of the vote, and spoke about the ‘immorality’ of the referendum.

The constituency of Mayo voted narrowly in favour of the referendum – 52% Yes versus 48% No.
Speaking to TheJournal.ie, parishioner Louise Heneghan (who was present at both masses on 23 and 24 May) said that “people are still not happy about this, there’s a lot of anger with the locals still”.
Source: A Mayo priest calls out Yes voters in the middle of Mass · TheJournal.ie

My comments:
1) He doing his church no good by doing this as he is just turning people away from the church by his actions

Last edited:

ne0ica

Mercurial

Is this the "reality check" church officials were talking about in the aftermath of their loss in the referendum?

USER1234

I seen it earlier today.

Was going to make a thread but I would have been accused of always starting ssm thread.

Anyway I wholeheartedly agree with the priest.

His church his rules.
Even if by his hard line stance he is alienating people from the church,seems counter productive!

Is this the "reality check" church officials were talking about in the aftermath of their loss in the referendum?
Doubtful!

Eoin Coir

When he was found out and reported in media,he tries to row back and dampen it down

Henry94.

I suppose he is taking his cue from the guy in the Vatican who called it a defeat for humanity without offering a single argument to support his case. I was reminded of him yesterday when the BBC reported a major breakthrough in the fight against cancer. That's what you'd call a victory for humanity. I don't think a non-contributing bunch of collar wearing bigots are in a position to be taken seriously.

What's his job based on? The whole edifice is largely supported by gullible people paying for Masses for deceased family members. A scam basically.

CookieMonster

james5001

I seen it earlier today.

Was going to make a thread but I would have been accused of always starting ssm thread.

His church his rules.
It's not his church. I highly doubt he either owns the church or is viewed in the community as even symbolically owning the church.

dizillusioned

I seen it earlier today.

His church his rules.
yes of course, but seeing as many got up and walked out??? Sounds like a Church that is actually out of step with its members. Without change organisations die. When will we see The Catholic Church change to meet the needs of it's flock?

Besides that, what is a man in a dress telling elderly people that they should have voted NO?? Where was he when his fellow priests were abusing kids? No mention of that from the Altar.

He is young he will learn. I am sure when he realises his mistake he will correct it.

CookieMonster

yes of course, but seeing as many got up and walked out??? Sounds like a Church that is actually out of step with its members. Without change organisations die. When will we see The Catholic Church change to meet the needs of it's flock?

Besides that, what is a man in a dress telling elderly people that they should have voted NO?? Where was he when his fellow priests were abusing kids? No mention of that from the Altar.

He is young he will learn. I am sure when he realises his mistake he will correct it.
this kind of behaviour will just drive people away from the church until it is little more than a small group of hard line Catholics getting ever increasingly angry and distant from a changing world.

Polybius

If people don't want moral guidance from the Catholic clery then they should stop attending mass. It's as simple as that. I'm sick of two-faced hypocrites like Simon Coveney claiming he is a devout Catholic while simultaneously pushing an anti-Catholic agenda.

USER1234

this kind of behaviour will just drive people away from the church until it is little more than a small group of hard line Catholics getting ever increasingly angry and distant from a changing world.
I agree that a possibility alright!

Eoin Coir

This parish was in news last year over one his colleagues on other matter, a priest there went to court over sharing house with his husband,Fr Ramsbottom or some name like that ?

Henry94.

That is what they are calling the Benedict Option. Not the recent Pope but a return to a hard core monastic group who will live their principles in spite of society. What they don't seem to get is that nobody has any objection to them doing that. The only issue is when they want to impose it on the rest of us.

ne0ica

I always wonder that myself when Mr Panti is being interviewed on tv.

Polybius

The Anglican Church have done everything possible to appease the liberals and the politically correct agenda. Yet the Anglican Church is dying quicker than any other Church. If the Catholic Church wants to save itself then it needs to take a stronger position on morality and the family. Opposing this transgender legislation would be a good start. People need to be brave enough to say that gender is chosen by God and it is not a social construct.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom