McCanns to sue Portuguese Officer

petaljam

Either an overdose or a sedative, the lass was well out of it, tried to get out of bed and fell, hitting her head. They found blood in the apartment and the boot of the hire car.
That's not my memory of what was found - it was DNA iirc, which is entirely different from actual blood.
I haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure if it had been blood I would have remembered it as that.

GDPR

And how come they were allowed to keep the other children? If they had been working class people from a council estate social services would have had the twins in care .....
If they were "good" Protestants instead of Catholics Im sure you would have a different tune.

People show and deal with grief in a whole variety of ways....But because this couple in the shock of what had happened didnt react as some felt they should have they have been subject to all manner of vile slander.

bonkers

If they were "good" Protestants instead of Catholics Im sure you would have a different tune.

People show and deal with grief in a whole variety of ways....But because this couple in the shock of what had happened didnt react as some felt they should have they have been subject to all manner of vile slander.
FFS what has their religion got to do with this? Cop on.

petaljam

FFS what has their religion got to do with this? Cop on.
I wouldn't want to say that it was their religion, or even their class, that counted for or against them but I do think that there was a media campaign against them, quite possibly a counter-reaction to the fact that they were not your average "parents of a missing child" and therefore didn't let themselves be manipulated in the way most people in that situation would have been.

There was an initial stage of adulation, Kate McCann shown as a Princess Diana tragic figure (only unlike Diana she really had something to "be" tragic about), followed surprisingly quickly by discontented mutterings about their tendency to want to control how they were presented in the media, and what this said about them as people.

I think the media are used to doing what they like with people in the grip of tragedies (look at the Buncrana drownings and the way the mother was tricked into an "interview") and that in the medias' eyes, the McCanns' biggest crime was not any negligence with their children, but their capacity to control media access. Of course the guy is a cardiologist, you'd expect him to keep a high degree of control over any situation, but the media couldn't handle that at all.

IMO.

Cruimh

Are they Catholic? Strange how you dug that one up. Leaving very young children unattended, with an unlocked door, in an apartment close to a swimming pool while parents go out to party, has no religious connotations. Shoo troll .....

Follower

Get real for the love of god parents leave their children unattended any number of times. What i think is disgusting is that because they weren't somehow impoverished suddenly many people tried to turn this into a class issue. At the end of the day a child went missing no evidence exists to implicate the parents, suggesting otherwise is just plain wrong.
True ...but it is a fact that they went to a Restaurant and left the child unattended.
If you or I left a child in the car to run into a shop and a guard happened to be passing, an arrest would most certainly ensue.

Ireniall

That's not my memory of what was found - it was DNA iirc, which is entirely different from actual blood.
I haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure if it had been blood I would have remembered it as that.
Yes -these cadaver dogs detected the scent of a dead body supposedly. I feel that the McCanns will always have the prime responsibility for Madeleines disappearance but I thought the behaviour of the Portuguese police was disgraceful and the officer who printed a book about the case was just a worthless self-seeker the likes of which can be found on any street corner.

But I happen to have my own singular experience with police dogs some years back maybe 2006 when I drove back from Belgium with a small truck with a load of six Honda Goldwing motorbikes on the back. I had no problems in either direction until returning home with the bikes I landed in Dover and was pulled aside with the drugs dog -a Spaniel-going ape************************. Obviously I knew I hadn't put anything on there but I was certainly worried that something had happened and the demeanor of the customs and police officers suggested that they thought I would soon be having to answer some awkward questions. As time went on and they were searching increasingly more unlikely parts of the bikes-fair play to them I say-I quietly suggested to one of the female officers that maybe the dog is wrong occasionally. 'Oh it happens all the time' says she- at this stage realising that I wasn't the enemy and the others began to appear more human too apologising and all the rest. I got the impression that the dog was generally right -more right than wrong say but I seriously doubt if that dog smelled anything that day. It was most interested in the cab of the truck ,not the bikes and we'd owned the truck for a few years at that stage. There was nothing there. Nothing. I would give those cadaver dogs absolutely no mind. None. It's a misuse of their purpose to do so. They are there to give you a possible edge but they prove absolutely nothing if this fails.

JacobVR

This couple in the shock of what had happened did not react as some felt they should have they have been subject to all manner of vile slander. :eek:

RasherHash

Interesting analysis, no idea how true or not it is...

[video=youtube;70lUwwaz2ns]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70lUwwaz2ns[/video]

RasherHash

jp

flavirostris

Genuinely surprised by some of the earlier posts. I never thought the McCanns were guilty of any wrong doing.

TakeitAll

Genuinely surprised by some of the earlier posts. I never thought the McCanns were guilty of any wrong doing.
There is something cold and not genuine about them that wouldn't be surprised if they were guilty but hard evidence is the only way and it seems the Portuguese cops made a stones of the investigation.

New Threads

Most Replies