McCreevy is being mentioned unfairly

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Irish Examiner - 2002/10/12: McCreevy’s corporation tax cut set to anger EU

FINANCE Minister Charlie McCreevy is to lower company taxes to 12.5% in this year’s Budget, a move which will anger our European neighbours.

Mr McCreevy’s decision means Ireland’s corporation tax rate will be by far the lowest in Europe, which will increase tension with other member states who say they are losing valuable foreign investment as a result.

Germany and France are among the most vociferous critics of Ireland’s low tax regime which is up to two-thirds lower than the European average.
How many Foreign companies have come to Ireland as a result of this mans great idea?

The Union's would have stopped this back then it seems...
Angry unions say money should be directed towards paying their delayed benchmarking payments.

John McDonnell, head of the country’s largest union, SIPTU, said last night the move could hamper attempts to reach agreement on a new national pay deal. “We’re insisting that workers get what they’re owed under benchmarking before the end of this year. Otherwise this could have serious consequences for the national pay agreement,” he said.

Mr McDonnell said the first payment must be paid by December 31 this year and he called for guarantees that the remaining money would be paid by the end of 2003.

With public finances deteriorating and speculation over potential increases in personal income tax, there had been fears Mr McCreevy would not go ahead with plans to reduce corporation tax.
Is it fair to put McCreevy into the same category as the FF lads who led us into the current situation.

He probably was culpable in so far as he didnt bother to care about the long term consequences of what low interest rates would mean for Ireland. But he did us one turn I suppose in the low corp tax.

Last edited by a moderator:

He3

Complete the missing phrase as if you were Charlie McCreevy:

If we have it, we spend it.

If we don't have it, we .......

dresden8

That was a Labour initiative wasn't it, McCreevy just carried it through at the change of government.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
That was a Labour initiative wasn't it, McCreevy just carried it through at the change of government.
Credit the Labour party with low corp tax rates so. sourcey sourcey...

No, he's being blamed way too fairly. Who was at the head of the deregulation cult that gripped Irish political and economic orthodoxy after 1997? Who was key in ripping up the rule books? Whose delusional Thatcherite idiocy, aided and abetted by his fellow cult-members in the PDs, led to the most extreme, corrupt recklessness that this country has ever seen?

Bingo...

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
No, he's being blamed way too fairly. Who was at the head of the deregulation cult that gripped Irish political and economic orthodoxy after 1997? Who was key in ripping up the rule books? Whose delusional Thatcherite idiocy, aided and abetted by his fellow cult-members in the PDs, led to the most extreme, corrupt recklessness that this country has ever seen?

Bingo...
nah nah

What wuz the ultimate cause of the low interest rates which caused the bubbly years?

it begins with an 'e'

We can wait for CS to come on with a nice chart to demonstrate this.

Dub guy

Yes, my recollection is that the 12.5% was set in train by the previous Rainbow Government (I think it was done in a couple of stages) FF/PD's continued with the policy.
McCreevy is largely to balme for the mess we are in. I was saying it from 1999 onwards, that he would wreck our economy with his policies & people looked at me like I had 2 heads. They thought he was great because he was giving them tax cuts. My advise to friends & colleagues at the time was to ''save your tax cuts because you'll need the money in a few years time when we're fecked''...

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Charlie Mc Creevy was a complete and utter economic ************************************************.. almost as bad as Ahern in the overall scheme of things...

I have always likened that "if you have it spend it, if you don't don't", to asking people.. if someone collected their wages on Thursday, and drank and partied until Monday, would you think them a great man when they came to sub you for grub on Tuesday morning ?

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Charlie Mc Creevy was a complete and utter economic ************************************************.. almost as bad as Ahern in the overall scheme of things...

I have always likened that "if you have it spend it, if you don't don't", to asking people.. if someone collected their wages on Thursday, and drank and partied until Monday, would you think them a great man when they came to sub you for grub on Tuesday morning ?
Well your getting me unfairly now. I'm saying his advocation of low corp tax was a good thing. He also did stupid things.

It not like any of the other piig ministers didnt do anything differently.

Almost as bad as Ahern? get a grip!

Dub guy

nah nah

What wuz the ultimate cause of the low interest rates which caused the bubbly years?

it begins with an 'e'
Who held the purse strings in Ireland?? McCreevy!! what did he do?? pumped more money into an over-heated economy (admittedly partly due to low interest rates) by giving big tax cuts & spending like a drunken sailor.
He should have been introducing property taxes etc to cool the economy.
He instead extended S23 property reliefs etc etc.. :mad::mad:

nah nah

it begins with an 'e'

We can wait for CS to come on with a nice chart to demonstrate this.
Sorry. No. There are few stronger critics of the EU, and in particular the single currency, than I, but this was a home-grown disaster. No getting around it, Ahern and McCreevey f*cked us up completely, and even a Eurosceptic like me is not going to pretend the EU is responsible for this.

Dub guy

By the way, the Euro Commission cited him for over heating the economy.. look it up, it's on the record.. & he gave them the 2 fingers..

Dub guy

Peter Power - another FF TD in denial over their culpability for the messs we're in..

Cassandra Syndrome

McCreevy was Finance Minister from 1997 to 2002. During that time the bubble started going out of control and he failed to notice the fundamentals. His fiscal policies exacberated the catastrophic effects of joining the Euro in 1999.

He is an economic traitor.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
By the way, the Euro Commission cited him for over heating the economy.. look it up, it's on the record.. & he gave them the 2 fingers..
:lol::lol::lol:

The tools that wrecked our economy putting the blame on him?

Our death sentence was signed once we joined the euro.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Sorry. No. There are few stronger critics of the EU, and in particular the single currency, than I, but this was a home-grown disaster. No getting around it, Ahern and McCreevey f*cked us up completely, and even a Eurosceptic like me is not going to pretend the EU is responsible for this.
So eh the other PIIGS had home grown disasters too?

Dub guy

Well your getting me unfairly now. I'm saying his advocation of low corp tax was a good thing. He also did stupid things.

It not like any of the other piig ministers didnt do anything differently.

Almost as bad as Ahern? get a grip!
Corp tax.. big deal!! there was cross-party consensus on that :roll::roll:
sure i seem to recall even SF were fairly recently calling for a lower Corp tax rate in NI.. the main point is McCreevy was a disaster for this country :mad:

eoghanacht

McCreevy the Architect of the hole phucking mess.

We'll done lads.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
McCreevy was Finance Minister from 1997 to 2002. During that time the bubble started going out of control and he failed to notice the fundamentals. His fiscal policies exacberated the catastrophic effects of joining the Euro in 1999.

He is an economic traitor.
Yah i had mentioned his stupidy in the last 2 lines of my OP.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies