• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

McDowell to rid prisons of drugs


Ernie

Member
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
9
Yet again the Justice Minister announces that he is going to tackle the issue of drugs in prisons. This is ther umpteenth time he made such a claim. why does the media continue to entertain this man's arrogance and sel rightousness. He can't rid the prisons of drugs and he wont.

Pity his colleague the Health minister doesn't tackle drug peddling in hospitals, much easire problem, yet she wont do it. Anything that doesn't involve privatisation is beneath Ms Harney. 8) 8) 8)
 


The OD

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
11,411
Great. The one thing that I was looking forward to when I was eventually caught, tried and convicted was a large spliff and a chase o' da dragon......ah well......
 

agora

Active member
Joined
May 9, 2004
Messages
106
Website
www.doonesbury.com
The OD said:
Great. The one thing that I was looking forward to when I was eventually caught, tried and convicted was a chase o' da dragon......ah well......

How about we give you a head start of 50 m or so and get Mary Harney to run after you? Would that do?
 

The OD

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
11,411
I said dragon, not behemoth! God be with the days people knew their wyrms from their behemoths!!!!!
 

michael1965

Active member
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
143
Ernie said:
Yet again the Justice Minister announces that he is going to tackle the issue of drugs in prisons. This is ther umpteenth time he made such a claim. why does the media continue to entertain this man's arrogance and sel rightousness. He can't rid the prisons of drugs and he wont.
Why can't he ?
 

Libero

Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
3,000
Ernie said:
Pity his colleague the Health minister doesn't tackle drug peddling in hospitals, much easire problem,
How is it an easier problem? While your average hospital patient is less likely to be a drug addict than your average prisoner, hospitals are much more open environments that cannot be "locked down" like prisons.
 

eurocrat

Active member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
231
Ernie said:
Yet again the Justice Minister announces that he is going to tackle the issue of drugs in prisons. This is ther umpteenth time he made such a claim.
When has he done this before?
 

eurocrat

Active member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
231
Libero said:
I do defend McDowell every now and then but it's true, this is the umpteenth time he's announced this or at least talked about it.

Politicans talk about future policies all the time. When has he actually announced this before? In lets say an offical press statement?

He may well have. I just want to know.
 

commentator

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
51
Of course he CAN do it but he WON'T do it. It is easy to rid prisons of drugs provided one is willing to drop the pretence that visitors are not supplying. Lock down, searches of all visitors and cell searches would clean the prisons in a fortnight.

The liberals would scream about women being searched etc (can't you just hear the bleating about criminalising families) and we would be back to square one.
 

michael1965

Active member
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
143
The new bill makes provision for searching visitors. Of course, the law will have to be implemented ....

What worries me about McDowell is that as a lawyer, he seems to see solutions just in (new) laws. The hard part is always implementing them... but we live in hope...
 

hiker

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
1,961
michael1965 said:
What worries me about McDowell is that as a lawyer, he seems to see solutions just in (new) laws. The hard part is always implementing them... but we live in hope...
thats because he knows the judiciary will not take the initiative. they are like children that have to be taken by the hand and told what to do. :x
 

michael1965

Active member
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
143
hiker said:
michael1965 said:
What worries me about McDowell is that as a lawyer, he seems to see solutions just in (new) laws. The hard part is always implementing them... but we live in hope...
thats because he knows the judiciary will not take the initiative. they are like children that have to be taken by the hand and told what to do. :x
That's not what I was talking about. I mean there is no point pretending that removing drugs from prison, is simply a matter of searching visitors. What's going to happen when their drug supply is suddenly removed? Are they going to get treatment? What if they don't want it? etc.

I don't know the answers, but the minister had better have a plan before he implements the policy.
 

newFF

Member
Joined
May 28, 2004
Messages
23
commentator said:
Of course he CAN do it but he WON'T do it. It is easy to rid prisons of drugs provided one is willing to drop the pretence that visitors are not supplying. Lock down, searches of all visitors and cell searches would clean the prisons in a fortnight.

The liberals would scream about women being searched etc (can't you just hear the bleating about criminalising families) and we would be back to square one.
I dont think that pretence exists judging by the footage shown on the news the other night where the only method of drug supply to the prisons seems to be through the visiting room...
 

morryah

Active member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
113
Why don't they put glass partitions in the visitor room, like they do in the US (according to the telly)?
 

commentator

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
51
One reality is of course that it suits warders and governors for the detritus that for a large part inhabit the prisons to be sedated. Cleaned up they would be a handful. Where is the upside for warders in de junking violent criminals when having them on junk in some way keeps they "somatised"?
 

The OD

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
11,411
Yep, bring in the law and watch the people who will have to deal with a couple of hundred strung out junkies implement it!

Ha ha ha.

Not a hope.

At times McDowell has good ideas.

This wasnt one of them.
 

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top