McGill summer school - history?

Christel

May I ask -apologising for not knowing - what is the history of the McGill Summer School in Donegal?

I'm every year astonished that all sorts of public or not so public people find it important to turn up there.

I like it in some way that a place in the countryside is so important. But would like to know why at this one.

Thank you.

Tomas Mor

This school is called after Patrick McGill who was born and reared near Glenties. As a young lad he used be sent to the hiring fairs in Strabane where he was hired out to a welthy farmer who would view them up and down before hiring them -sort of slave trade. Afterwards he went to Scotland and worked on a railway. He also fought in the WW1.He wrote Children of the dead end, and also a Navvy Scrapbook about the harsh conditions experienced by people like him. The school is going for a few years now, Joe Mulholland, former DG of RTE is at the helm. It attracts various speakers every year, some politicians turn up there and it can generate some heat ! Also people from other walks of life attend . It seems to have gained a niche for itself, and probably is the premier summer school. Merriman one in Clare probably had that honour for some years, but there are a plethora of such schools round the country, where intelligentia can clear their heads. But do the ordinary people listen,and have they any effect. I rather doubt it.

Last edited:

Christel

This school is called after Patrick McGill who was born and reared near Glenties. As a young lad he used be sent to the hiring fairs in Strabane where he was hired out to a welthy farmer who would view them up and down before hiring them -sort of slave trade. Afterwards he went to Scotland and worked on a railway. He also fought in the WW1.He wrote Children of the dead end, and also a Navvy Scrapbook about the harsh conditions experienced by people like him. The school is going for a few years now, Joe Mulholland, former DG of RTE is at the helm. It attracts various speakers every year, some politicians turn up there and it can generate some heat ! Also people from other walks of life attend . It seems to have gained a niche for itself, and probably is the premier summer school. Merriman one in Clare probably had that honour for some years, but there are a plethora of such schools round the country, where intelligentia can clear their heads. But do the ordinary people listen,and have they any effect. I rather doubt it.
Thank you for the answer. It's still amazing how they all flock there. I'd really like to know how the community achieved this.

Joe Mulholland, is he from the area initially?

Tomas Mor

Thank you for the answer. It's still amazing how they all flock there. I'd really like to know how the community achieved this.

Joe Mulholland, is he from the area initially?
Yes he is from Donegal, not sure if it is Glenties actually, I think not. Just took off,and I think he gets some grants to help run it. Not so sure of much local involvement. I had some experience of another summer school and very few locals attend as such. Mostly all blow ins. I attended McGill a few years ago for two days and it was mostly outsiders who were there.

rgaok

I was at the Mc Gill Summer School yesterday evening to hear Eamon Gilmore. He was quite good but by the time he got to speak it was late and people were getting restless.
Very few under the age of 50 at it....

Tomas Mor

I was at the Mc Gill Summer School yesterday evening to hear Eamon Gilmore. He was quite good but by the time he got to speak it was late and people were getting restless.
Very few under the age of 50 at it....

I noticed that too, goes bit late, a lot of the grey and blue rinse brigade there,and hardly any young people. A sort of sill season thing that incestuous media hone in on.

loner

May I ask -apologising for not knowing - what is the history of the McGill Summer School in Donegal?

I'm every year astonished that all sorts of public or not so public people find it important to turn up there.

I like it in some way that a place in the countryside is so important. But would like to know why at this one.

Thank you.
Would suggest that you read two of Mac Gills books The Rat Pit andChildren of the Dead End --Do not know if they will help you in understanding what has been going on in Donegal over the past few days.

Christel

Would suggest that you read two of Mac Gills books The Rat Pit andChildren of the Dead End --Do not know if they will help you in understanding what has been going on in Donegal over the past few days.
Thank you very much for the recommendation to read these books.

But could you possibly nevertheless tell a bit about what you think is important in what was going on in Donegal over the past few years?

loner

Thank you very much for the recommendation to read these books.

But could you possibly nevertheless tell a bit about what you think is important in what was going on in Donegal over the past few years?
Ido not think anything important was going on there but it does provide a fillip to the tourist industry in Donegal for a week.It is usually a navel gazing exercise where political figures and otherimportant people read papers on a variety of topics-the Press reports them extensivelyand hopefully some of the pearls of wisdom spoken are taken on board bywhoever and translated into some kind of activity that might or might not benefit the nation. Its a nice start to the Summer for some politicians at the start of a 3 month holiday from Leinster House --Iwould prefer to see them remain in Parliament to adequately deal with legislation and not continue to guillotine Bill after Bill--sorry shouldnt use that word guillotine so close to 14 July--it might give hard pressed taxpayers and holders of negative equity bad thoughts.

Christel

Ido not think anything important was going on there but it does provide a fillip to the tourist industry in Donegal for a week.It is usually a navel gazing exercise where political figures and otherimportant people read papers on a variety of topics-the Press reports them extensivelyand hopefully some of the pearls of wisdom spoken are taken on board bywhoever and translated into some kind of activity that might or might not benefit the nation. Its a nice start to the Summer for some politicians at the start of a 3 month holiday from Leinster House --Iwould prefer to see them remain in Parliament to adequately deal with legislation and not continue to guillotine Bill after Bill--sorry shouldnt use that word guillotine so close to 14 July--it might give hard pressed taxpayers and holders of negative equity bad thoughts.
Thank you. I thought you had some other things in mind.

But what you say was my impression as well. And I was wondering why exactly this event attrackts all those politicians and similar.

Is it just the timing? So shortly after the start of their summer break? Or is the media interest in it influentual? As it seems those attending can be sure of reports in the media, at least if I go by the Irish Times. Then the question would be why the media are so eager to write about it.

I'm just really amazed.

Tomas Mor

Thank you. I thought you had some other things in mind.

But what you say was my impression as well. And I was wondering why exactly this event attrackts all those politicians and similar.

Is it just the timing? So shortly after the start of their summer break? Or is the media interest in it influentual? As it seems those attending can be sure of reports in the media, at least if I go by the Irish Times. Then the question would be why the media are so eager to write about it.

I'm just really amazed.

Its all part of the silly season really, the chattering classes and so called intelligentia.

Mushroom

Its all part of the silly season really, the chattering classes and so called intelligentia.

"POLITICAL CORRUPTION, PUBLIC sector reform and the future of the Catholic Church in Ireland will all be debated at the MacGill Summer School, which opens today in Glenties in Donegal." Corruption and the Catholic Church up for discussion at MacGill Summer School · TheJournal.ie

What a line up! - it's a veritable political Dream Team: Spoofer G tonight (a "keynote address"), then both Enda and Averil Power tomorrow and Dr. Diarmuid Martin on Tuesday. Support acts include Joan Burton, Vlad and Mad Dog McDowell.

However, it seems remarkable that, notwithstanding their wide life experience - and, in some cases, familiarity with the school's topic - such political leviathans as Mung the Moron, the two tax-dodging Micks (Lowry and Wallace), Gerry the Widowkiller and L Ron Higgins aren't speaking at this year's bunfight.

Decadance

Sadly this is likely to be one of the last summer schools in Glenties as the local tourist businesses are very fearful that they will have to close as the area is being targeted for wind farms with about 120 turbines planned to encircle the town. The 10-day retreat by politicians and journalists to south west Donegal is unlikely enough to cover the loss of other visitors and holidaymakers to the areas natural landscape and scenery which until the turbine invasion was relatively unspoilt. Such a pity, such a loss...

Big storm brewing over wind debate - Local - Donegal Democrat
A spokesman for the Glenties Wind Farm Information Group, Ernan O’Donnell, outlined his concerns that visitors to the five-time national tidy town will now remember it for the hedgehog of turbines encircling the town and its strident mountain range rather than the unspoilt blue-hazed mountain scenery that gives the Bluestacks its name and Glenties much needed tourist income.

He also points out that this is an issue with county wide implications given the council’s intention to designate over half the county, 2,300 townlands, as actual areas preferred for wind farms.

wombat

such political leviathans as Mung the Moron, the two tax-dodging Micks (Lowry and Wallace), Gerry the Widowkiller and L Ron Higgins aren't speaking at this year's bunfight.
I like the descriptions:lol:

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill
Sadly this is likely to be one of the last summer schools in Glenties as the local tourist businesses are very fearful that they will have to close as the area is being targeted for wind farms with about 120 turbines planned to encircle the town. The 10-day retreat by politicians and journalists to south west Donegal is unlikely enough to cover the loss of other visitors and holidaymakers to the areas natural landscape and scenery which until the turbine invasion was relatively unspoilt. Such a pity, such a loss...

Big storm brewing over wind debate - Local - Donegal Democrat
Perhaps it is time to have a summer school on the energy topic.

For example if current trends and demographics hold true for the next 15 years then 105% of current global oil production will be consumed within the economies of China and India alone, this means that in order to supply Europe, Japan and the Americas as well as China and India, world oil production will have to double in that 15 year period.

Global marketable oil production has managed to increase by just 8% in the last 15 years and that includes the contribution of synthetic fuels from sources such as tar sands and shale oil.

Perhaps it is the case that in 15 years time the summer school, will of necessity, be a virtual event unless we manage to build an electric railway to Donegal and build an electric car infrastructure both of which must then be supplied with electricity.

Simply

What them types have to do with McGill's emigrant experience is anyone's guess.Maybe it's a visible reminder of Peadar O'Donnell's still relevant quote 'If I was in charge there would still be emigration,it's just that a different kind of people would be leaving'

Mushroom

As we eagerly await Enda's address to this year's School which starts very shortly, here's one from Bozo from 2009 to amuse us!

The Plan For Recovery | MacGill Summer School

"We have the capacity to do that unlike a lot of bigger countries. IMF economists came here in
May and they interrogated me at length. They said our policies are right, what is needed now
for recovery is “determined execution” of NAMA and the Government’s budget plans. We will
have that recovery.
Let us make that bit of an extra effort now, doing it not just for our own
sake but for the sake of our kids who want to live in an Ireland that is not Argentina defaulting
on its debts or Uruguay pretending that it can have public services it cannot afford but a
responsible country.

That is, the country our forefathers fought for, a country that takes
responsibility for itself in the best sense of that word, a Sinn Féin country :cry:
a country that believes not just in ourselves alone, but ourselves with others, working together, building up a
community, building up public services we want but recognising where we are in the world
and what we can afford."

Edit: Enda live!!! http://www.donegalcoco.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/84127

all of those bloody rehearsed hand movements.... grrrrr - Anton Savage, I hate you.

Last edited:

Decadance

I fear this is the future for Glenties!
[video=youtube;yXe18Bteed8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXe18Bteed8[/video]

New Threads