McGuinness met Claudy priest

Sync

It's not helpful just to say:
“I was asked, whenever I was told that Father Chesney was dying, I was told he was a republican sympathiser, would I go and see him and meet with him in Co Donegal.
and try to leave it at that. The allegation is that Chesney was a Director of Operations. As an IRA leader, McGuinness would have known of him if he was.

So McGuinness is in a position to say "Yes he was a director of operations in my time with the IRA" or say "No he wasn't a director of operations". To cop out and simply say "He was a sympathiser" is stupid. You're better off keeping your mouth shut than saying that. It's the mealy-mouthed rubbish that SF had been doing so well to move away from.

Tomas Mor

Maybe Chesney gave McGuinness absolution for all his sins !

Cruimh

It's not helpful just to say: and try to leave it at that. The allegation is that Chesney was a Director of Operations. As an IRA leader, McGuinness would have known of him if he was.

So McGuinness is in a position to say "Yes he was a director of operations in my time with the IRA" or say "No he wasn't a director of operations". To cop out and simply say "He was a sympathiser" is stupid. You're better off keeping your mouth shut than saying that.
I'm assuming that there is evidence that McGuinness met Chesney - so he had to make some response.

Certainly would have expected more detailed comment from him about the Ombudsman's report.

Sync

I would think so. McGuinness rarely lies from what I've seen. He obfuscates quite a bit, but I've been impressed by how up front he's been in recent years, and I genuinely think he's been someone that has improved the situation in the North since the GFA.

He can actually help offer closure to the families, or at least further information. If he stood up and said "I was a leader of the IRA in 1972, and I can tell you for a fact Chesney was/wasn't an operational leader of the IRA" I'd probably believe him. I think he's got a duty to do so.

johnfás

Well, he's back from his holidays ....

McGuinness met Claudy priest

Interesting request - out of the blue he's asked to meet the Dying Chesney - but of course they never discussed Claudy.....
And out of the blue he agrees to go. Seemed like a pathetic response from McGuinness. He basically said he didn't know the chap but he asked to see him, so he travelled to Donegal to see him. I reckon if I rang up Martin and asked him to visit me tomorrow he wouldn't turn up. Plenty more to this story.

Tomas Mor

Talk about McG honesty here if off the mark. Did he not only come out in view of the Saville enquiry. Otherwise it would be the Gerry mantra " I know nutting"

Cruimh

And out of the blue he agrees to go. Seemed like a pathetic response from McGuinness. He basically said he didn't know the chap but he asked to see him, so he travelled to Donegal to see him. I reckon if I rang up Martin and asked him to visit me tomorrow he wouldn't turn up. Plenty more to this story.
And remember - this happened in 1980 when MMG wasn't exactly kosher.

Last edited:

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I'm assuming that there is evidence that McGuinness met Chesney - so he had to make some response.

Certainly would have expected more detailed comment from him about the Ombudsman's report.
Indeed, appears there was a smoking gun (pun intended) linking the two IRA commanders.

Cruimh

Talk about McG honesty here if off the mark. Did he not only come out in view of the Saville enquiry. Otherwise it would be the Gerry mantra " I know nutting"
Remember - it was an awful job to get him to actually take the stand - and when he did he didn't tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth - and his evidence was rejected.

I suspect that SF pushed for Saville as a propaganda exercise but were horrified when it was actually set up. Same way as they backtracked over a truth and reconciliation commission.

Oldira1

Can people actually listen to the interview with Martin?

He stated he had NEVER came across Chesney while he was in charge of the City Brigade of the IRA and was asked to meet him when Chesney was dying in his capacity as a senior republican. Claudy was never mentioned.

End of story.

Can we move this to the History forum please? 30 years is surely History.

johnfás

He stated he had NEVER came across Chesney while he was in charge of the City Brigade of the IRA and was asked to meet him when Chesney was dying in his capacity as a senior republican. Claudy was never mentioned.

End of story.

Yes that is what he said, but there is a glaring inconsistency in what he said. There are plenty of people dying every week, Martin doesn't pay a pastoral visit to all of them. I wouldn't imagine he paid a pastoral visit to every member of the IRA either. The fact that McGuinness was sufficiently concerned to go and visit him gives rise to an implication that he did know him and that Chesney was sufficiently senior to warrant such a visit. If that is the case, it also undermines the notion that McGuinness, as a senior commander in the IRA at the time of the Claudy bombing, had never come across him.

Tomas Mor

End of story.

What would you think the meeting was about. And would you move everything else to History Forum - Boody Sunday, shooting by BA,Alleged Collusion etc.

Cruimh

End of story.

Why bury this in History ? The Ombudsman report is 2010.

How many other dying republicans did McGuinness visit in the years he was a hunted man ?

Who asked him to visit Chesney ? Was it another priest ? Why McGuinness and not Adams or any other senior republican ?

It stinks.

loner

+1

ItsEvolution

Why bury this in History ? The Ombudsman report is 2010.

How many other dying republicans did McGuinness visit in the years he was a hunted man ?

Who asked him to visit Chesney ? Was it another priest ? Why McGuinness and not Adams or any other senior republican ?

It stinks.
Theres a 1001 and one cases that stink in the north all the dragging up in recent months is not doing any good, can we not just leave it

New Threads

Most Replies