McGuinness & SF try to discredit the McCartney Sisters

Was McGuiness right to attack the McCarthy Sisters?

• Total voters

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Sinn Fein MP Martin McGuinness has claimed that the family of murdered Belfast man Robert McCartney is being manipulated by anti-republican forces.
Mr McGuinness yesterday warned the family that they were leaving themselves open to such manipulation by entering the political arena to canvas support for their campaign for justice.

"There is a concern within Sinn Fein that elements in and around the McCartneys are trying to manipulate the situation in order to disadvantage Sinn Fein," Mr McGuinness said.
Shocking attack by someone who should know better.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Reply from Catherine McCarthy

Cathering McCartney responded this morning by saying she understood the situation.

"We have to be very careful that we're not being used by anybody and that includes Sinn Fein and all political parties," she said.

"We're not stupid women. We get the impression that someone thinks out there that somebody's behind this, pulling our strings.

"The only person behind this is our Robert and he is the person pulling out strings."

cain1798

1. He didn't attack them. He warned them that he thought they were being used.

2. Willie O'Dea made a statement during the SF Ard Fheis accusing them of being used politically and everyone rowed in behind him.

3. The McCartneys are being used by political elements to attack Sinn Féin. It's specifically because they know those people are doing this that they came to our Ard Fheis, to make sure people understood that.

4. Is this really the best you can do?

gobshite

that is not an attack try to think up an inclusive poll

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
At least it's better than the snatch of the really rubbish interview I heard with McGuinness on RTE radio this morning, where the interviewer seemed convinced that it was a threat (I assume physical threat), and was stunned that McGuinness wouldn't admit this.

ho-hum

ETA: btw, the name in the title is wrong, TK.

NJP

Re: McGuinness & SF try to discredit the McCarthy Sister

TKwhiskers said:
Shocking attack by someone who should know better.
If you are going to post a thread like this at least try to get their names right you dodo. They're called McCartney not McCarthy.

gobshite

thats about as bad as calling the bar mcguinnesses when it is magenisses i read that in the indo during a bout of shinner bashing, it only shows that they are interested for one reason and that is to destabalise sinn fein

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
The only thing Martin McGuiness’s amateurish attempt to discredit the McCarthy sisters accomplishes is to help stifle the their attempts at bringing Robert McCathy’s IRA murders to justice.

Cain1798, if you cant see this you should really go back to SF propaganda 101!

Zhukov

I would regard his attack on the PSNI as more significant. SF does not accept the legitimacy of PSNI and have yet to advocate people providing evidence to PSNI, yet they have the audacity to say the police aren't moving fast enough on the murder of Robert McCartney.

I would be interested to hear what the McCartney sisters have to say on this - do they think PSNI are dragging their feet, or do they think more responsibility lies on the side of SF/IRA? The Shinners are showing themselves to be hypocrites as well as criminals.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
How does it do that?
If McGuiness succeeded in discrediting the McCartney sisters in the eyes of the residents of the Short Strand it would be politically easer for him and the IRA to continue to ignore calls for them to co-operate with the PSNI. The greatest pressure on the SF leadership over policing isn’t coming from the two governments or the Unionists – is coming from the ordinary people of the Short Strand.

SF’s PR department has moved on a little since the IRA discredited Jean McConville by insinuating she was an informer, thus making her murder politically acceptable to the majority of their supporters.

ireland2004

The only thing Martin McGuiness’s amateurish attempt to discredit the McCarthy sisters accomplishes is to help stifle the their attempts at bringing Robert McCathy’s IRA murders to justice.
M C C A R T N E Y

This is a perfect example of what McGuinness is talking about. You have no care for the McCartney family, your only care is an excuse to attack Sinn Féin.

Risteard

Actually Zhukov, Gerry Adams has already acted as an informer by giving information to the British Colonial Police (RUC/PSNI). I repeat my question (yet to be answered): What do the Provos think of having a self-confessed informer as President?

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
Zhukov said:
I would regard his attack on the PSNI as more significant. SF does not accept the legitimacy of PSNI and have yet to advocate people providing evidence to PSNI, yet they have the audacity to say the police aren't moving fast enough on the murder of Robert McCartney.

I would be interested to hear what the McCartney sisters have to say on this - do they think PSNI are dragging their feet, or do they think more responsibility lies on the side of SF/IRA? The Shinners are showing themselves to be hypocrites as well as criminals.
See this.

It does seem that the PSNI need a hell of a lot of evidence before thaey are in a position to haul anyone in for questioning. Had the RUC the same attitude during the troubles, the Maze needn't have been built, there'd be no one to incarcerate in it.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Apologies, if I'd realised a spelling mistake would be used to discredit my point I would have been more careful, I suppose you should be commended for following the same tactic as McGuiness!

ireland2004

Well said Trefor. They are taking their time with this because it suits a political agenda to have it in the Spotlight. In the end the people that everyone know responsible will be arressted.

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
TKwhiskers said:
If McGuiness succeeded in discrediting the McCartney sisters in the eyes of the residents of the Short Strand it would be politically easer for him and the IRA to continue to ignore calls for them to co-operate with the PSNI. The greatest pressure on the SF leadership over policing isn’t coming from the two governments or the Unionists – is coming from the ordinary people of the Short Strand.
Yes, and one way of interpreting what he's saying (the explanation that he gave on the radio this morning) is that if the family engages in party politics and runs for election, they may lose credibility in the eyes of the SF-supporters of the Short Strand, and that this will hinder their attempts at getting Justice.

Now either the people of the SS are SF-supporters, in which case running for election could cause the family to lose support for their campaign, or they're not, in which case it doesn't matter what McGuinness says because "the ordinary people of the Short Strand" wouldn't be listening to him anyway.

Either way, I don't see how his comments "help stifle the their attempts at bringing Robert McCathy’s IRA murders to justice. " (sic)

cain1798

TKwhiskers said:

Cain1798, if you cant see this you should really go back to SF propaganda 101!
I'm not going to take advice from someone who cares so little about the family he can't even get the name of the victim right but is happy to use them to attack Sinn Féin.

I also don't take advice from people I consider idiots so you're covered either way.

Oh, and McConville was an informer. Deal with it, and move on. There's plenty of other things you can attack us on without having to make them up or regurgitate what the grown-ups wrote in the newspapers.

And Adams has called on people to pass information not to the PSNI but to their solicitors and the PSNI Ombudsman. Should they choose to pass that information onto the PSNI then that is their decision.

And Risteard, with all due respect, you're a member of Republican Sinn Fein. I can't think of a single political movement in Ireland more riddled with informers and touts. Also with incompetents and cowards btw, but that's a separate issue.