McGuinness to Address Kilmicheal Commemoration

thetruthsback

The annual Kilmichael Commemoration will take place on Sunday 28th at1.pm, with Martin McGuinness delivering the annual address.

Last edited:

Just Jack

Boy M5

Is it the Kilmichael Commemeration or does it also include Crossbarry? (they were 2 of the most important engagements if not the most engagements of the War of Independence) either way its an event that deserves to be well attended both by civil society & the Defence Forces, it should be a non political event

edifice.

One false surrender; one real surrender!

Just Jack

Is it the Kilmichael Commemeration or does it also include Crossbarry? (they were 2 of the most important engagements if not the most engagements of the War of Independence) either way its an event that deserves to be well attended both by civil society & the Defence Forces.
I think it includes both, although I’m not entirely sure.

Hegarty's Crowd

Is it the Kilmichael Commemeration or does it also include Crossbarry? (they were 2 of the most important engagements if not the most engagements of the War of Independence) either way its an event that deserves to be well attended both by civil society & the Defence Forces, it should be a non political event
Can an historic political event be commemorated non-politically?

Just Jack

Can an historic political event be commemorated non-politically?
Just noticing that.

Quite a ridiculous comment.

This event is steeped in political history.

Boy M5

Just noticing that.

Quite a ridiculous comment.

This event is steeped in political history.
No its not ridiculous, as you well know I meant that it wasn't being used for party political reasons (read the rest of my post about involving civil society & the defence forces).

The men who fought & died at Kilmichael did so in defence of our country's democratic right to be independent. It should be an inclusive event & Tom Barry's story should be taught in schools. Without him there would have been no independence, no democracy.

Unless you are talking about the commemeration itself being political, so using the sacrifice of the 3rd Cork Brigade (which included the CnaG TD Hales) for political reasons I don't think it should be, I think it should be an inclusive event.

Last edited:

Shilts

The organising committee of the event are not aligned to any political party.
They invite speakers from all sides of the political spectrum and eminent historians.
This year it happened to be Martin McGuinness who was the invited speaker.
He last spoke 15 years ago.

When I did history in school we were never taught about this part of our history (for fear we'd join the IRA maybe?).
Losses like Kinsale in 1601 were given much more prominence.
Children need heroes and The Boys Of Kilmichael certainly fit that bill.

In these troubled economic times we should look to our history for inspiration.
Tom Barry and his column overcame huge adversity in their struggles with the Black and Tans and their victories were instrumental in the formation of this state.
The 28th day of November should be remembered every year by every Irishman.
Hardly a mention in the media though.

Mushroom

Oh it will be, have no doubt about that.

The Day of the Traitors - the day that Biffo, Bozo and Gormthing caved in to the EU/IMF.

edifice.

The organising committee of the event are not aligned to any political party.
They invite speakers from all sides of the political spectrum and eminent historians.
This year it happened to be Martin McGuinness who was the invited speaker.
He last spoke 15 years ago.

When I did history in school we were never taught about this part of our history (for fear we'd join the IRA maybe?).
Losses like Kinsale in 1601 were given much more prominence.
Children need heroes and The Boys Of Kilmichael certainly fit that bill.

In these troubled economic times we should look to our history for inspiration.
Tom Barry and his column overcame huge adversity in their struggles with the Black and Tans and their victories were instrumental in the formation of this state.
Hardly a mention in the media though.
Not so. It was the abandonment of what those victories were fought for which led to the founding of this state. And what a mistake that was.

hurricane

I was at the commemoration, good crowd there considering the poxy weather. I wish people would stop trying to sanitise the ambush, there was no political correctness back in those times, my gran-uncle took part in a lot of IRA actions during the war and the later civil war. He always told me they were fighting for freedom, but when it came to the actual fight, you fought for your life and you would use whatever means were available, it was bloody and vicious, and his morals and beliefs went out the window once the fight started.

Popular Threads

Most Replies