• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

McWilliams vs Hanafin

SKELLY

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujcs8g-MghM&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - scandalous[/ame]

Seems McWilliams has hit a nerve!

I have been saying this all along anyway along with most clued in people in this joke of a country!

MPB

Again they claim that they are acting on legal advice. There is no law in this country that states, the Govt cannot do a deal with senior bondholders. There is no law that states the Govt cannot offer a seperate guarantee to deposit holders.

The law they are referring to, only applies in the case of insolvency and only applies to the financial institutions obligations to its bondholders and depositors, not the state.

The state is a seperate entity. It is about time the media called FF on this lie.

johntrenchard

yup. McWilliams practically accused them of treason - WITHOUT saying the t word.
touched a raw nerve with Hanafin alright.

jpc

Like Dermot Aherns nasty little snipes against Simon Coveney insinuating defamatory comments and a threat of possible legal action.
This indicates the total lack of ability of FF reps to engage with alternative views on the way to deal with the disaster we are going through.

johntrenchard

Note how Hanafin uses the "how dare you" gambit , when mentioning the "treason" word.

its a classic case of deflection from the topic being discussed.

GDPR

Again they claim that they are acting on legal advice. There is no law in this country that states, the Govt cannot do a deal with senior bondholders. There is no law that states the Govt cannot offer a seperate guarantee to deposit holders.

The law they are referring to, only applies in the case of insolvency and only applies to the financial institutions obligations to its bondholders and depositors, not the state.

The state is a seperate entity. It is about time the media called FF on this lie.
It's not a lie, you eejit.

The Government, whether it owns the bank or not has to protect depositors or we will never have a banking system again.

McWilliams talks about America, does he know if there is a difference in law on this between Europe and America? Has he bothered to find out? If he did, he didn't say so and you'd imagine that would be the first point he would make.

SideysGhost

Me thinks, they protest a bit too much.
Dead giveaway, isn't it?

I mean if somebody accused me of treason I'd either look at them in confusion wondering what on earth they were spouting on about; or burst out laughing at the ridiculousness of such a charge. Or both, maybe.

What any normal person who wasn't remotely guilty of treason would not do when someone merely hints and insinuates at treason is exactly what Hanafin did do - blow the top in faux-aggrieved outrage. Or do what Lendahand does - spout a wall of plausible-sounding smooth faux-sincere waffle denying the charge with a web of illogic and half-truths thatjust leaves the listener confused.

They know alright. They know they are traitors.

nonpartyboy

I like the way he got her to say it, history will not remember any of these people well.

SideysGhost

The Government, whether it owns the bank or not has to protect depositors or we will never have a banking system again..
It doesn't have to protect all depositors for all their deposits though - nobody else does. And it especially doesn't have to protect depositors who also have loans.

Nor does protecting ordinary depositors up to a limit have anything at all to do with protecting bondholders of any variety.

So yeah, lies.

ManOfReason

FF minsters contempt for the Irish tax payer (a group that for decades had hardly a FF member in it) has reached the point where they are lining up to fudge the truth in order to put foreign bond holders interests ahead of the future of all Irish citizens.

They must go.

GDPR

Dead giveaway, isn't it?

I mean if somebody accused me of treason I'd either look at them in confusion wondering what on earth they were spouting on about; or burst out laughing at the ridiculousness of such a charge. Or both, maybe.

What any normal person who wasn't remotely guilty of treason would not do when someone merely hints and insinuates at treason is exactly what Hanafin did do - blow the top in faux-aggrieved outrage. Or do what Lendahand does - spout a wall of plausible-sounding smooth faux-sincere waffle denying the charge with a web of illogic and half-truths thatjust leaves the listener confused.

They know alright. They know they are traitors.
Following on from your "logic" (God forgive me), this is an easy one Sidewinder.

Put them all in a barrel, throw them in a river, if they float, they're traitors, if they don't, well, at least we'll know.

MPB

Note how Hanafin uses the "how dare you" gambit , when mentioning the "treason" word.

its a classic case of deflection from the topic being discussed.
Note the way the argument for the blanket guarantee has changed from,
" the only game in town " to " Patrick Honohan agrees with us " to " it would have been illegal not to. "

Every one of their arguments has been torn to shreds and the truth will come out in the end. My guess is that Mc Williams was very close to the real truth yesterday, hence Hannafins reaction.

Highking

How anyone can possibly trust the official government line at this stage is beyond me. If they had a notion on how to run a country effectively , they wouldn't have fuelled an unsustainable property bubble, pander to senior bond-holders, or wasted so much money on pointless expenses.

Hanafin is as gombeen as anyone else in the party at this stage. Completely self-deluded

johntrenchard

I like the way he got her to say it, history will not remember any of these people well.
EXACTLY!

McWilliams is one clever dude. HE GOT HER TO SAY IT - and thus in the ears of listeners "treason" gets associated with Hanafin and Fianna Fail.

GDPR

It doesn't have to protect all depositors for all their deposits though - nobody else does.
Yes it does and no one else has been put to the test.

If companies with large amounts on deposit can't use the banking system in a given country for fear of losing their money, how likely are they to do or continue to do business in that country?

Your truth consists only of what suits yourself, being so used to using them, you wouldn't recognise a lie if it bit you on the arse

MPB

The Government, whether it owns the bank or not has to protect depositors or we will never have a banking system again.

McWilliams talks about America, does he know if there is a difference in law on this between Europe and America? Has he bothered to find out? If he did, he didn't say so and you'd imagine that would be the first point he would make.
The lie is that the State has a lawful obligation to guarantee bondholders on a par with deposits.

The law relates to the financial institutions obligations to both, in the case of insolvency. I appreciate that all of you eejits in FF, think that the Financial institutions are the State, but would you be able to prove it in law.

Treason and FF, the 2 words have been linked since the foundation of the state. A bit like corruption and FF. Jelly and Ice Cream, Bacon and Cabbage etc