Meagre Irish childrens' allowance of €140 a month vs €363 in Canada

Patslatt1

There is general agreement that spending on children's allowance is highly effective in taking children out of poverty. See the article "The kids are not alright" in The Economist The best way to eradicate poverty in America is to focus on children (paywall after brief introduction). It argues among other points that California could end deep child poverty with targeted cash transfers of $2.8 billion a year, which would be equivalent to about $280 million in Ireland based on population.

Ireland's children's allowance is meagre compared to Canada's even though Canadian per capita incomes are only modestly higher. Maybe the Irish government should tax back a portion of the children's allowance going to families on above average incomes to fund an increase in the allowance .To keep political support for this very important social benefit the income tax should be limited to half the benefit at most except for the top fifth or so of incomes.

Dame_Enda

Interestingly, Poland has introduced a reward system for births, to the tune of €100 per child per month.

toughbutfair

I dont trust working class parents so don’t want to give them the money they currently get. Better to lengthen the school day with 3 meals from the state , paid for by abolishing child allowance. School books bought by the state in bulk and given to children to be passed down every year (fined if damaged). School uniform from ALDI/lidl for about €20 (tracksuit or something cheap) paid for by the state. The food should be healthy as lots of fat kids plus helps concentration and behavior.

Patslatt1

I dont trust working class parents so don’t want to give them the money they currently get. Better to lengthen the school day with 3 meals from the state , paid for by abolishing child allowance. School books bought by the state in bulk and given to children to be passed down every year (fined if damaged). School uniform from ALDI/lidl for about €20 (tracksuit or something cheap) paid for by the state. The food should be healthy as lots of fat kids plus helps concentration and behavior.
Too much nanny state.

wombat

One thing I remember about Canadian income tax is that you list all your income, list all your deductions and pay tax on the difference. I collected dole for part of one year and it was part of my income on which I paid tax - in effect, I paid it all back. Baby bonus as its known, is taxed, so its worth more to the poor than the rich, fat chance of that being done.

Gin Soaked

Fat kids are caused by fat / poor / lazy parents.

Implementing an extended school year and day would be a nightmare from teaching unions. Even if pay was pro-rata.

And another problem is that many schools have no facilities for sports. Boys in particular need to be free-range and burn off energy. That helps with behavioral issues and mental health.

As for the nanny state jibes, (from others) well, good luck closing the door there.

We have a cradle to grave welfare state. That enables anyone to have kids. And blame the state for their fecundity, stupidity and laziness. This is unnatural.

Watcher2

Bullsh1t reports. This is a prime example of statistics clouding the reality. Childrens allowance does not go to the children and therefore is no guarantee of lifting them out of poverty.

Patslatt1

Fat kids are caused by fat / poor / lazy parents.

Implementing an extended school year and day would be a nightmare from teaching unions. Even if pay was pro-rata.

And another problem is that many schools have no facilities for sports. Boys in particular need to be free-range and burn off energy. That helps with behavioral issues and mental health.

As for the nanny state jibes, (from others) well, good luck closing the door there.

We have a cradle to grave welfare state. That enables anyone to have kids. And blame the state for their fecundity, stupidity and laziness. This is unnatural.
Progress has been ongoing with the lowest income people in the past generation except for housing costs. In education, a focus on helping disadvantaged area schools has paid off going by the latest international PISA survey of teenagers. Ireland had one of the lowest percentages of students failing all three PISA tests in literacy,maths and science,performing way better in this than the massive welfare states of Austria, Sweden, Belgium and France.

Patslatt1

Bullsh1t reports. This is a prime example of statistics clouding the reality. Childrens allowance does not go to the children and therefore is no guarantee of lifting them out of poverty.
Thanks for the cynical view of parenting.

Gin Soaked

Thanks for the cynical view of parenting.
CA was, for many, the only cash the mother was guaranteed if her husband was an alcoholic or otherwise useless sh1t. It was for years, also the only compensation for having kids. ECCE and subsidized childcare are now helping. But everything else is means tested.

I know of useless men who view their wages as "theirs", and they get away with it because they married doormats.

Here in chateau Gin, the CA goes to me, but my salary pays all the grown up stuff (mortgage, car loan, life insurance, utilities, ) we "live" off her salary and have honest conversations about what we spend money on.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies