• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Measuring Teacher Performance

bactrian

There is a very interesting report commissioned by the "Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation" measuring effective teaching.

http://metproject.org/downloads/MET_Ensuring_Fair_and_Reliable_Measures_Practitioner_Brief.pdf

I have only had a chance to scan through it ,but, I think that it illustrates an effective method on measuring Teacher performance.

Your comments on the report would be interesting.

Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes! we know Bill and Melinda Gates are infernal capitalists and acolytes of Satan.

Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes! we know that teachers have permanency and are therefore disciples of the Devil.

Comments on the Report please!

Marcos the black

Measuring teachers performance is easy:

If the child does well it's because the child is brilliant.
If the child does bad it's because the teacher is crap.

This is my understanding of how most parents rate teachers.

APettigrew92

It's difficult to rate Teachers as every party has a vested interest.

Students usually either love or hate their teacher, mostly hate, due to stereotypes that you only hate your teachers because you're a poor student.

I disagree. I was a fairly good student and I only hated teachers who I personally felt couldn't teach or couldn't control a class, two things which should've nullified their ability to even become a teacher.

It's rather the system which determines how they're appointed. They aren't hired by the necessary criteria. Having the ability to know a ton about your given subject doesn't make you a good teacher.

It's one of the many flaws of Education in this country.

captainwillard

Teachers do not want their performance to be measured. They will lie and obfuscate about performance and league tables forever.

R3volution_R3ady

Teachers do not want their performance to be measured. They will lie and obfuscate about performance and league tables forever.
Public teachers don't want their performance measured. They're not interested in that. Our education system is set up to benefit the unions, not the children. Education is so hopelessly broken, that only a cleansing of the whole way we view education will remove the sickness.

R3volution_R3ady

RobertW

Public teachers don't want their performance measured. They're not interested in that. Our education system is set up to benefit the unions, not the children. Education is so hopelessly broken, that only a cleansing of the whole way we view education will remove the sickness.
Blah blah blah. . . Same oul rubbish.

Shame you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

davoid

I think some teachers dont want thier performance measured. The good ones have nothing to fear. Its the poor ones that will fight tooth and nail to prevent it

RobertW

I think some teachers dont want thier performance measured. The good ones have nothing to fear. Its the poor ones that will fight tooth and nail to prevent it
I think teachers are assessed 5 times during their teaching qualification course and regularly thereafter by inspectors from the DES.

Unlike in the private sector where "self-assessment" is the norm followed by bonuses and pay rises.

Harmonica

I disagree. I was a fairly good student and I only hated teachers who I personally felt couldn't teach or couldn't control a class, two things which should've nullified their ability to even become a teacher.
I agree. I had good teachers for subjects that I didn't do well in because I was lazy & I had terrible teachers in subjects which I would have done better in if they were bothered. There will always be situations where individual teachers & students just cannot get on but I think an entire class of say LC students could rate a teacher fairly.

I don't think I could work in a job where pay is determined by age & qualifications.

davoid

I think teachers are assessed 5 times during their teaching qualification course and regularly thereafter by inspectors from the DES.

Unlike in the private sector where "self-assessment" is the norm followed by bonuses and pay rises.
What private sector planet are you on?

pedagogus

You might want to consider the implication of the fact that Finland, ranked first on all the international measures of educational success has no inspections at all and that, on the other hand Britain, the most inspected and invigilated education service in the Western World, lags far behind.

davoid

I agree. I had good teachers for subjects that I didn't do well in because I was lazy & I had terrible teachers in subjects which I would have done better in if they were bothered. There will always be situations where individual teachers & students just cannot get on but I think an entire class of say LC students could rate a teacher fairly.
I agree. I went on ratemyteacher.com some years ago and looked up all the teachers that all my kids had. Without exception all of the ratings - good and bad - accorded with the view that I had of those teachers. I expected it would be all moaners etc and unfair but that was not the case - the good ones were really praised.

gatsbygirl20

There is something vaguely comic in the whole language of the Gates Foundation report---a sort of Gradgrind-esque Murder Machine for the 21st century---with all its jargon of "multiple measures" and "systems of measurement"........To revert to the cliche: Not everything that can be measured, matters....and not everything that matters can be measured...

But still, that is the world we live in now, and we must adapt. The idea of multiple measurement is sensible as is the point made that if the zone of measurement becomes too narrowly focused, teachers will focus all their energies on that to the exclusion of other valuable aspects of teaching

The Irish Inspection system seeks to avoid some of these pitfalls by combining classroom observation with student surveys and parent surveys, and also evaluation of student exam results , so a broader picture presents itself.

Added to this is the new self-evaluation system where schools and teachers must look at and analyse their own performances--because unless all this is leading to better outcomes it is just a whole lot more waste and bureaucracy.

On the broader point made by a poster about student evaluations.....the trouble is, a teacher who is perfect for one student in a class may be disliked by the other 29

My first child--brilliant at English, rather arrogant--loathed his touchy-feely "caring" English teacher, and only respected the gruff, tough, kick-ass teachers in the school. He always admired toughness and guts in people.

My second child--much more sensitive and troubled--loved the touchy-feely teacher and perceived the tough, gruff teachers as bullies.

It is difficult to keep all 30 of your customers satisfied, and to be all things to all students--which is what parents expect

Irish teachers are now up to their ears in "measurement"--some schools have had four different kinds of inspection in one academic year.

Whether it will improve Irish education remains to be seen.

Last edited:

davoid

You might want to consider the implication of the fact that Finland, ranked first on all the international measures of educational success has no inspections at all and that, on the other hand Britain, the most inspected and invigilated education service in the Western World, lags far behind.
So does it follow that when teachers are invigilated their performance declines?

gatsbygirl20

Whether they want it or not, teacher performance is now rigorously measured by different inspection systems in Irish schools--subject inspections, unannounced inspections, student surveys, whole school evaluations--and the results of these are available to parents...