• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Meat and Patriarchy

Concerned Irishman

Found this interesting article on the internet today from last year: Feminism and Vegetarianism | Radfem Hub

It makes what I believe to be a valid point about the connection between meat-eating and the Patriarchy we currently live under. The question it asks is the same one I ask here: are our choices in what we eat political ones? Before ye all jump down my throat about this, consider why you don't eat dog? Is that not a political choice based on the value you put on that animal?

Take the cow for example - repeatedly inseminated (ie: raped) to keep her in a constant state of either pregnancy or milk-production, her young taken from her almost immediately, only for the process to repeat itself ad nausium until she is sent for slaughter - how can that not be a feminist issue? How can the decision to be non-vegan reconcile with feminism - it cannot

TommyO'Brien

Seanie Lemass

Well just as well whoever wrote that was not holding a fkn symposium while the sabre tooth tigers and them lads were hanging about the cave.

Intellectual degeneracy :)

Sync

Take the cow for example - repeatedly inseminated (ie: raped) to keep her in a constant state of either pregnancy or milk-production, her young taken from her almost immediately, only for the process to repeat itself ad nausium until she is sent for slaughter - how can that not be a feminist issue?
Because animals aren't ****ing people....

Edo

Found this interesting article on the internet today from last year: Feminism and Vegetarianism | Radfem Hub

It makes what I believe to be a valid point about the connection between meat-eating and the Patriarchy we currently live under. The question it asks is the same one I ask here: are our choices in what we eat political ones? Before ye all jump down my throat about this, consider why you don't eat dog? Is that not a political choice based on the value you put on that animal?
no - its just I cant get dog in tescos or Adli - my choices are limited - I have eaten dog in South Korea, Whale in Japan and Cat in China - its cultural not political.

Concerned Irishman

Are you sure yer an Irishman :confused:
I wasn't aware that one needed to be a womyn to recognize the role that patriarchy plays in maintaining the system we live under?

And Tommy - the point here is to have a discussion. Do you propose the Zoo for every thread outside of your own narrow interests?

Concerned Irishman

Because animals aren't ****ing people....
They may not be human but they are living creatures that we share this planet with. Presumably you are not cruel to your pets? Why is that? Could it be that on some level you recognize that they have the same right to be free of pain as you or me?

theObserver@hotmail.com

I was a vegetarian for years until I slipped gradually back into meat eating. But linking meat eating to the "patriarchy" is another example of feminist absurdity .

D

Deleted member 17573

They may not be human but they are living creatures that we share this planet with. Presumably you are not cruel to your pets? Why is that? Could it be that on some level you recognize that they have the same right to be free of pain as you or me?
If you're pushing the Vegan ideology, forget it. We learned from a few of your colleagues that they are not interested in improving animal welfare, rather in ending all animal farming with the accompanying destruction and extinction of all farm animals.

theObserver@hotmail.com

Try telling a pride of lions the deer they are leisurely devouring alive has a right to remain pain free.

Seanie Lemass

If you're pushing the Vegan ideology, forget it. We learned from a few of your colleagues that they are not interested in improving animal welfare, rather in ending all animal farming with the accompanying destruction and extinction of all farm animals.

Same as with greyhound racing. Worst looked after greyhounds that turn up in shelters are those abandoned by crusties and other wasters who thought it be like so cool to liberate one from the fascist greyhound kennels.

TARZAN

So the way forward is the vegan/animal rights one is it? No milk , no honey, no meat, no fish , no fowl, no butter, no guide dogs for the blind, no horse racing or greyhound racing, no hunting or shooting, no show jumping etc etc. What a jolly old time they have in store for us.;)

Concerned Irishman

So the way forward is the vegan/animal rights one is it? No milk , no honey, no meat, no fish , no fowl, no butter, no guide dogs for the blind, no horse racing or greyhound racing, no hunting or shooting, no show jumping etc etc. What a jolly old time they have in store for us.;)
We've getting off point - obviously I can't stop people from eating meat/using the products of animals. My point is that the struggles of womyn and the stuggles for animal rights are linked - in both cases they are fighting against a system that exploits them based on their reproductive apparatus. Again, the example of the cow is most poignent.

As for the old "would a pride of lions eat us" argument - humans possess reason and choice. Heaven forbid we'd decide to productively use those gifts...

Jack Maher

I'm baffled as to why feminists would prefer cucumbers, courgettes, carrots etc. to a nice portion of tender meat.

TARZAN

We've getting off point - obviously I can't stop people from eating meat/using the products of animals. My point is that the struggles of womyn and the stuggles for animal rights are linked - in both cases they are fighting against a system that exploits them based on their reproductive apparatus. Again, the example of the cow is most poignent.

As for the old "would a pride of lions eat us" argument - humans possess reason and choice. Heaven forbid we'd decide to productively use those gifts...
What about the poor auld bull or stallion that have semen drawn from them for AI. You don't hear of anybody complaining about their ordeals.:confused:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies