Meath Co. Council scammed out of €4.3m!

truthisfree

Christ, imagine getting an email to transfer €4.3m and not making a phone call let alone a face to face meeting....maybe `i am completely out of touch but €4.3m seems like a whole lot of money to me. (Inside job?)

silverharp

wow, that really shouldnt happen, an amount that size should have required at least 2 senior finance people to approve it with any bank software and at that amount the FD would have to have been one of the people.

gijoe

It was only resting in my account.......I swear......

(better known as the 'Ted' defence)

darkhorse

Christ, imagine getting an email to transfer €4.3m and not making a phone call let alone a face to face meeting....maybe `i am completely out of touch but €4.3m seems like a whole lot of money to me. (Inside job?)

Or a fake tiger kidnapping?

Betson

It is taxpayers money , nobody cares about it , as far as they are concerned loads more where it came from.

If it means a few civil servants having to do a bit of extra work , ie filling out extra forms to get the 4.3M back they will probably end up telling the crooks they can keep it.

darkhorse

Let's hope they didn't fall for the old stranded traveller scam...
"Hi. Just writing to let you know my trip to Hong Kong with my family has been a mess…I need you to loan me some money. I'll refund it to you as soon as I arrive home."

Sister Mercedes

They'll have to send over a delegation to Hong Kong to check it out. The entire council and senior council staff plus spouses probably.

T

Toowoomba

Sinn Féin Councillor in Meath Darren O'Rourke said: "This is a really shocking story. The sum involved, over €4.3m, is staggering.

Meath Council funds frozen in Hong Kong account

Ten years on from one of the biggest bank robberies in British and Irish history the IRA gang responsible may still be struggling to spend some of the £26.5 million plundered in the Northern Bank heist, an expert in combating money laundering has said.

Northern Bank robbers 'still struggling to spend £26.5m' | BreakingNews.ie

If Shinners did staggering............petunia

ruserious

If you are foolish enough to fall for this trick, you shouldn't be in charge of public funds.

T

Toowoomba

If you are foolish enough to fall for this trick, you shouldn't be in charge of public funds.

."

DR.SHERIFF LAWAL
TEL/FAX:234-90-401593
HOME PHONE:234-1-7742865

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL & URGENT.

Dear Honourable Cork Official,

I am a member of the Federal Government of Nigeria Contract Award and Monitoring Committee in the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).

Sometime ago, a contract was awarded to a foreign firm in NNPC by my committee. This contract was over invoiced to the tune of US$21.5M.This was done deliberately. The over-invoicing was a deal by my committee to benefit from the project. We now desire to transfer this money which is in a Suspense Account with NNPC in any Overseas Account which we expect you to provide for us.

For providing the account where we shall remit the money, you will be entitled to 30% of the money, 70% will be for me and my partners.

I would require the following: 1) Bankers Name and Address (2) Telephone and Fax Number of Bankers 3) Sort/ABA/Routing Number of Bankers 4) Account Number 5) Name of Beneficiary/Company Name /Address. 6) Telephone and Fax No. of Beneficiary

The above information would be used to make formal applications as a matter of procedure for the release of the money and onward transfer to your account.It does not matter whether or not your company does contract projects of this nature described here, the assumption is that your company won the major contract and subcontracted it out to other companies. More often than not, big trading companies or firms of unrelated fields win major contracts and subcontract to more specialized firms for execution of such contracts. We have strong and reliable connections and contacts at the Apex Bank and Federal Ministry of Finance and we have no doubt that all this money will be released and transferred if we get the necessary foreign partner to assist us in this deal. Therefore, when the business is successfully concluded we shall through our same connections withdraw all documents used from all the concerned Government Ministries for 100% security. We are civil servants and we will not want to miss this opportunity.

Please contact me immediately through my above e-mail address or Tel/Fax number 234-90-401593, whether or not you are interested in this deal. If you are not, it will enable me scout for another foreign partner to carry out this deal. But where you are interested, send the required documents aforementioned herein without delay, as time is of the essence in this business.

I wait in anticipation of your fullest co-operation.

Yours faithfully, DR.SHERIFF LAWAL.

Fractional Reserve

Sideways Promotions for the gobshytes instead of sacking.
It is taxpayers money , nobody cares about it , as far as they are concerned loads more where it came from.

If it means a few civil servants having to do a bit of extra work , ie filling out extra forms to get the 4.3M back they will probably end up telling the crooks they can keep it.

ruserious

Presumably finance section of Meath county council signed off on the transfer. I'd have hoped sums this large would have to get authorisation from head of finance who you would expect would want to know why nearly 4.5 mill is being sent to bloody Hong Kong. Christ.

Vega1447

Presumably finance section of Meath county council signed off on the transfer. I'd have hoped sums this large would have to get authorisation from head of finance who you would expect would want to know why nearly 4.5 mill is being sent to bloody Hong Kong. Christ.
According to Designated Public Officials, County Meath, Ireland - Councils, Community, Business and Investment, Tourism
Fiona Lawless Director of Services, Finance, Motor Tax, Information Systems, Procurement, Internal Audit, Water Services, Laytown/Bettystown and Ashbourne Municipal District
046 909 7000

No question of journos actually fecking phoning the bould Fiona and asking her about financial procedures.
That would be a "witch hunt" (I know, I know) I'd say.

Women take up council positions - Independent.ie

ruserious

According to Designated Public Officials, County Meath, Ireland - Councils, Community, Business and Investment, Tourism
Fiona Lawless Director of Services, Finance, Motor Tax, Information Systems, Procurement, Internal Audit, Water Services, Laytown/Bettystown and Ashbourne Municipal District046 909 7000

No question of journos actually fecking phoning the bould Fiona and asking her about financial procedures.
That would be a "witch hunt" (I know, I know) I'd say.

Women take up council positions - Independent.ie
Jesus that's a large brief. What isn't she in charge of. Maybe that is the problem.

Accidental sock

Ya just know, someone in Meath County Council is disappointed they're not getting tha magic beans they thought they were paying for....

Vega1447

Ya just know, someone in Meath County Council is disappointed they're not getting tha magic beans they thought they were paying for....
Yep. You'd wonder what instructions "junior staff" have re *LARGE* fund transfers.

Like fvcking check with boss first?

Accidental sock

Yep. You'd wonder what instructions "junior staff" have re *LARGE* fund transfers.

Like fvcking check with boss first?
I'm currently E-mail Meath County Council from a spoof e-mail address, telling them to give me Navan.

I always wanted to rule a pallindromic ghetto.

Quite common.

France has had issues with this for years and French Intel has found money ends up in Israel.

New Threads

Most Replies