• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Meath East Abortion game plan

Big Brother

Savita's husband may amend report into her care - Independent.ie

BB is not surprised that James Reilly has moved swiftly to publish Savita report - allowing husband to amend i - after
FGs win

Obstacle to legislation were rising fears of meltdown as FG vote fell behind FF

But unique circumstances - a sympathy vote and good candidate - have given FG a win

Like Endas by election win in1975 it wont prevent meltdown at next election (FG were slaughtered in 77 ge)

But it will give FG and Labour argument to persuade backbenchers they have nothing to fear from legilsation

But the fact is they have

A Millward Brown poll shows over 60% oppose change in the law

Initial polls showing majority in favour came in bacckdrop of huge confusion over why Savita died

Now that her husband and Dr Arulkumuran - a leading pro abortion advocate -can write the narrative they
can ensure the report says what is needed to support push for legal abortion

And heres the irony of it all: The x case concerned the threat of suicide. But Savita was fighting to live

But in the push for abortion the facts dont matter

Onl cynical manipulation of suffering and political opportunity matters

petaljam

Initial polls showing majority in favour came in bacckdrop of huge confusion over why Savita died

Now that her husband and Dr Arulkumuran - a leading pro abortion advocate -can write the narrative they

And heres the irony of it all: The x case concerned the threat of suicide. But Savita was fighting to live

Well I would certainly agree that that is the irony in the situation. And also that various political parties in Ireland are trying to twist the situation to something that will suit their purposes. Indeed it is what you are doing yourself in your OP, with your very dodgy interpretation of recent opinion polls, for one thing.

You are also being disingenuous about why the X case is being considered in relation to Savita Halappanavar's death at all - it is because there is no other legal basis for providing an abortion for her when she needed one. The alternative to citing the X case would have been to tell her an abortion was not possible - indeed that is quite possibly what may have happened, that because her pregnancy was not causing her psychological distress, there was no justification for using the X case to carry out an abortion.

I am beginning to wonder if the X case is grossly insufficient as legislation, and maybe the solution is to get rid of the 8th amendment altogether. It has shown itself to be dangerous to women,including women whose only reason for requesting a termination was to preserve their health, possibly even their lives. And I don't just mean Savita Halappanavar : the A, B and C cases too. And I'm sure there are others which haven't gone to court.

shanieboy01

I don't often comment but the op is scaremongering and twisting poll results. I thought 80% of people polled said that the life of the mother should be looked at firstly. This is a topic being hijacked as most sensible people know that this is totally separate to the x case. My partner is 6 months pregnant and I would do anything to keep her alive. We have other children and what's the point if she is allowed to die and my other children would be left without a mother. Docs have to be allowed to make these decisions.

Big Brother

I don't often comment but the op is scaremongering and twisting poll results. I thought 80% of people polled said that the life of the mother should be looked at firstly. This is a topic being hijacked as most sensible people know that this is totally separate to the x case. My partner is 6 months pregnant and I would do anything to keep her alive. We have other children and what's the point if she is allowed to die and my other children would be left Docs have to be allowed to make these decisions.
But they already are

If Savitas doctors didnt know that thenguidelines need attention

But abortion is never a cure for suicide

This xcase push on the back of a highly dubious SC decision is to create a precedent for later expansion to abortion on demand

DaveM

But they already are

If Savitas doctors didnt know that thenguidelines need attention

But abortion is never a cure for suicide

This xcase push on the back of a highly dubious SC decision is to create a precedent for later expansion to abortion on demand
What guidelines?

bye bye mubarak

BB is not surprised that James Reilly has moved swiftly to publish Savita report - allowing husband to amend i - after
FGs win

But unique circumstances - a sympathy vote and good candidate - have given FG a win

Like Endas by election win in1975 it wont prevent meltdown at next election (FG were slaughtered in 77 ge)

But it will give FG and Labour argument to persuade backbenchers they have nothing to fear from legilsation

In some ways you are correct, but certainly the abortion scare used in Meath shows that the issue is not affecting peoples voting at all. The irony is with the very limited range of casee allowing abortion, Savita could not have been saved by the coming restricted legislation. But one thing is sure, it's not the political timebomb anti choice peoplebelieved or hoped.

ger12

In some ways you are correct, but certainly the abortion scare used in Meath shows that the issue is not affecting peoples voting at all. The irony is with the very limited range of casee allowing abortion, Savita could not have been saved by the coming restricted legislation. But one thing is sure, it's not the political timebomb anti choice peoplebelieved or hoped.
Are you sure? The FG candidate certainly didn't commit to supporting any legislation, the FF candidate is on record as not supporting X legislation and the candidate shouting about abortion polled 4% of the vote.

LamportsEdge

This is an utterly nonsensical attempt at projecting the OPs mentality on a single issue into an electoral issue. It reflects an obsessive determination to use a by-election in which the voter turnout was hideously low- which should be taken to indicate the absence of a serious single issue among the voters of Meath tied in with a general apathy towards Irish politics and politicians generally- and to simply use a philosophical attempt to hammer the Savitta case onto it which is ludicrous in the extreme.

The Labour party didn't poll at 4% in Meath because of their supposed machinations for abortion- they polled low because they are the mudguard for Fine Gael austerity policies.

The OP is nothing more than a disturbed attempt somehow to extract mileage from the Meath by-election result towards the OPs own present obsession.

Astral Peaks

FGs win

FG were slaughtered in '77 due to two factors, Richie Ryan's budget and FF's promise to abolish domestic rates, a decision that still has repercussions today, as we can see in the debate about the property tax, and one that caused so many of the problems in the intervening years.

Many people, myself included, felt at the time that FF had no need to make this pledge, as they were likely to win anyway, but they did, and it gave them a landslide.

Mitsui2

Idiotic OP. Typical for the OPer.
It's not an idiotic OP if you can get yourself into the right frame of mind - though admittedly getting into the right frame of mind might for most people require the generous application of a lump hammer to the head.

Mitsui2

Are you sure? The FG candidate certainly didn't commit to supporting any legislation, the FF candidate is on record as not supporting X legislation and the candidate shouting about abortion polled 4% of the vote.
Fact-based observations are neither here nor there!

LamportsEdge

I have checked and checked and can find no mention of an 'Abortion Party' on the ticket in Meath. To allege that only one party in Meath was the 'Abortion Party' is to forget that in the Savitta case there is a considerable groundswell of support in the major parties for reform on that issue.

The OP therefore fails miserably not only in interpretation of the results in Meath but also in an understanding of the wider political landscape.

This is a political 'foot and mouth' OP.

shanieboy01

The savita case has nothing to do with suicide. And yes the doctors of course need guidelines

Radix

The OP is nothing more than a disturbed attempt somehow to extract mileage from the Meath by-election result towards the OPs own present obsession.

In fairness Lampy, where obsession is concerned, objectively speaking to have amassed 9, 000 posts here in little more than a year certainly borders on an obsession of a type; I should know.

petaljam

In fairness Lampy, where obsession is concerned, objectively speaking to have amassed 9, 000 posts here in little more than a year certainly borders on an obsession of a type; I should know.
Miaow.

Whatever your signature is supposed to mean, your posts certainly don't bear witness to the goodness of the human heart. Plenty of nasty irrelevant little digs in them. Aren't you ashamed of them? Or is that the kind of person you are really?

turdsl

The result of the election will at least give Gilmore the leverage to put pressure on Kenny
to move ahead with the legislation,

cobhguy

FGs win

The X-case was about a threat to the life of the mother "suicide just happened to be that threat in that case"

As the law stand now, an abortion can be giving where there is a threat to the life of the mother which is what should of happen in the Savita case.

petaljam

The X-case was about a threat to the life of the mother "suicide just happened to be that threat in that case"

As the law stand now, an abortion can be giving where there is a threat to the life of the mother which is what should of happen in the Savita case.
Which law, exactly, covers that situation?

emulator

This "report" is nothing more than an internal HSE clinical review....

They had to change the name of it after the embarrassment of being caught trying to stuff the panel with not only HSE staff, but HSE staff from the same hospital....

There will be the inquest next followed by a full public inquiry....