• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Meath East By-Election

Honecker

Fianna Fáil and Thomas Bryne will fancy their chances of a good showing. Fine Gael will probably run a prominent local councillor but it's hard for government parties to win by elections. Shinners will have decent opportunity to add to their numbers and enhance their national profile as they battle for title of the main opposition with FF. Labour will do well to get above the 10% mark. ULA and Greens are no hopers. Maybe a celebrity independent could run?

Last edited:

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Fianna Fáil and Thomas Bryne will fancy their chances of a good showing. Fine Gael will probably run a prominent local councillor but it's hard for government parties to win by elections. Shinners will have decent opportunity to add to their numbers and enhance their national profile as they battle for title of the main opposition with FF. Labour will do well to get above the 10% mark. ULA and Greens are no hopers. Maybe a celebrity independent could run?
FF will be putting in a BIG push here :roll: Don't know how strong SF are in Meath West, doubt if they have someone of the calibre of Peader Tobin. FF will be fancying their chances here :oops:

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

On the subject of a bye-election..I hope FF, FG and Lab candidates (at least) are rejected.

LgCastell

Looking at Meath East in the future with the death of Shane McEntee that leaves the constituency with two tds - Regina Doherty (FG) and Dominic Hannigan (Lab) ... looking at potential candidates

FF - will most definitely run Thomas Byrne and while being FF will attract some discredit he wasnt involved in the last government at cabinet of minister of state level, is very competent and a possible minister in the future...with him being a former TD i'd say odds on favourite to win and reckon it will be him

SF - unlike neighbouring Meath West SF are very very thin on the ground here their GE 2011 candidate was Michael Gallagher who lost his local council seat in 2009 when FF were losing massive amounts of votes ... even with the SF pick up I think he will be a distance off

Lab - currently have Dominic Hannigan and while they will run someone who will have no chance I reckon they won't be interested in winning as that would be problematic come next GE ... they currently have two councilors there

- Niamh McGowan who being from Ashbourne directly overlaps with Dominic Hannigans bases or
- Eoin Holmes who was coopted when Hannigan went to the Seanad and was subseqently elected in 2009 in the Slane district

FG - with Regina Doherty in Dunshaughlin I would say FG will be looking for a candidate in from the Kells/Nobber area in preparation for the GE 2015/16 ... there are a host of candidates

- Eugene Cassidy - local cllr from Nobber
- John V Farrelly - previously a TD but has not ran in General Elections in a while can't imagine why he would decide to run again...only thing that might attract FG is that the community have heard of him before
- Catherine Yore - is based in Kells but ran in Meath West last time out which I don't fully understand ...
- Sirena Campbell - former PD who ran in the last Seanad elections and polled poorly overall.

For FG I would reckon either of the ladies would be the most likely candidate

Not sure whether any high profile indo would be running ...maybe Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh!!!!

Overall I reckon it'll be Thomas Byrne elected, 2 - FG, 3 - Lab, 4 - SF

edit someone mentioned Mairead McGuiness MEP and it is worth considering ... If the CAP negotiations rap up before the by election is called I reckon FG HQ would be punishing very strongly for her (or else she could be considered for a Commissioner role?) Shes from Drumcondrath which is a few mins from Nobber and that would be a great split between Doherty and McGuinness in the future elections..if she runs I would say she would get it

Last edited:
M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Looking at Meath East in the future with the death of Shane McEntee that leaves the constituency with two tds - Regina Doherty (FG) and Dominic Hannigan (Lab) ... looking at potential candidates

FF - will most definitely run Thomas Byrne and while being FF will attract some discredit he wasnt involved in the last government at cabinet of minister of state level, is very competent and a possible minister in the future...with him being a former TD i'd say odds on favourite to win and reckon it will be him

SF - unlike neighbouring Meath West SF are very very thin on the ground here their GE 2011 candidate was Michael Gallagher who lost his local council seat in 2009 when FF were losing massive amounts of votes ... even with the SF pick up I think he will be a distance off

Lab - currently have Dominic Hannigan and while they will run someone who will have no chance I reckon they won't be interested in winning as that would be problematic come next GE ... they currently have two councilors there

- Niamh McGowan who being from Ashbourne directly overlaps with Dominic Hannigans bases or
- Eoin Holmes who was coopted when Hannigan went to the Seanad and was subseqently elected in 2009 in the Slane district

FG - with Regina Doherty in Dunshaughlin I would say FG will be looking for a candidate in from the Kells/Nobber area in preparation for the GE 2015/16 ... there are a host of candidates

- Eugene Cassidy - local cllr from Nobber
- John V Farrelly - previously a TD but has not ran in General Elections in a while can't imagine why he would decide to run again...only thing that might attract FG is that the community have heard of him before
- Catherine Yore - is based in Kells but ran in Meath West last time out which I don't fully understand ...
- Sirena Campbell - former PD who ran in the last Seanad elections and polled poorly overall.

For FG I would reckon either of the ladies would be the most likely candidate

Not sure whether any high profile indo would be running ...maybe Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh!!!!

Overall I reckon it'll be Thomas Byrne elected, 2 - FG, 3 - Lab, 4 - SF
Nice contribution (I tried to get it back on topic a few pages ago..) +1. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

It's the same cohort of posters who consistently drag this thread off-topic...

...see ya.

gijoe

I predict that Sarah Carey will be the FG candidate!

BTW because of the Doherty Supreme Court decision the by-election will have to take place by June 21st .

Honecker

Would FG consider parachuting Mairead McGuinness in? She's an MEP for the area already and the party leadership recognise the need for an extra token women on the front benches. McGuinness is someone they could promote to junior minister without being a total embarrassment to the party.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

I make it 8 (!). 8 posts on this entire thread concerning the actual topic (a bye-election in case anyone missed it).

The rest of the thread is white noise and shouting.

Edit: 10 now.

Ulster-Lad

Candidate Party 1st Pref Share Quota Count Status Seat
[HR][/HR]
Dominic Hannigan 8,994 21.04% 0.84 4 Made Quota 1
Regina Doherty 8,677 20.30% 0.81 4 Elected 2
*Shane McEntee 8,794 20.57% 0.82 4 Elected 3
[HR][/HR]
*Thomas Byrne[SUP]4[/SUP] 5,715 13.37% 0.53 (4) Not Elected
Michael Gallagher[SUP]3[/SUP] 3,795 8.88% 0.36 (3) Eliminated
Joe Bonner 2,479 5.80% 0.23 (3) Eliminated
Nick Killian 2,669 6.24% 0.25 (2) Eliminated
Sharon Keogan 1,168 2.73% 0.11 (1) No expenses
Sean O Buachalla 461 1.08% 0.04 (1) No expenses
ElectionsIreland.org: 31st Dáil - Meath East First Preference Votes

Here is how it worked out in the GE.

irish_bob

It is a bit early for this thread, as a Sinn Fein voter in Meath West, I'm very familiar with the political lie of the land in Meath East from the time Meath was a 5 seater constituency.

I can tell you without any doubt that FG will hold this seat, FG are unbelievably strong in this part of Meath. The McEntee's are a hugely popular family all over County Meath, and Meath people will see a natural justice in FG retaining this seat.

Wishing a seat to FF, SF, or anyone else is just that, wishing.

wouldnt be too sure , thomas byrne is a very able politican

Dougal

I'm very sure, Thomas Byrne is toxic FF, there is no way the people of Meath are ready to vote someone in from the scumbag party.
Don't be so sure of that, there are many here in Meath East that would vote for Thomas Byrne unless they had a very good alternative. The FF support in this county is amazing, but if they ran their last representative Nick Killian they would fall flat on their face. If they want someone in they better choose well.

irish_bob

thomas byrne will be in at the next election anyway , labour will loose their seat

dresden8

thomas byrne will be in at the next election anyway , labour will loose their seat
Indeed. FG can probably be confident of keeping the seat.

The question is how much of a kicking will labour get? The bods may start looking to the liferafts to save their own sorry @rses.

topcat4

Don't be so sure of that, there are many here in Meath East that would vote for Thomas Byrne unless they had a very good alternative. The FF support in this county is amazing, but if they ran their last representative Nick Killian they would fall flat on their face. If they want someone in they better choose well.
Maybe there are FF supporters who would vote for Byrne, but I wouldn't describe FF's support as amazing.

Given the untimely death of Shane McEntee, Meath will vote the seat to FG again.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies