• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Meath East Did Fianna Fail run the wrong candidate?

grizzley

Speaking to a number of ' shrewd' political people over the Easter weekend a consensus opinion appears to be that the Fianna Fail candidate in Meath East was a poor choice. Thomas Byrne has strong associations with East Meath and Drogheda whereas the real battle ground in the By election was in the South of the constituency where Byrne has no presence.

The views expressed was that Helen McEntees surprising vote in the Southern part was no real surprise as there was no credible local candidate in that area. They felt that a local person ( Nick Killian?) could haver fought an effective local campaign in that area while consolidating the FF vote elsewhere.

This is not a criticism of Thomas Byrne - but he is not the superstar he thinks he is . It is a criticism of the FF handlers and perhaps adds credibility to the pre election story that FF were looking to Mary Wallace to run. ( Personally I think Mary would have bombed big time.)

Tough Paddy

Speaking to a number of ' shrewd' political people over the Easter weekend a consensus opinion appears to be that the Fianna Fail candidate in Meath East was a poor choice. Thomas Byrne has strong associations with East Meath and Drogheda whereas the real battle ground in the By election was in the South of the constituency where Byrne has no presence.

The views expressed was that Helen McEntees surprising vote in the Southern part was no real surprise as there was no credible local candidate in that area. They felt that a local person ( Nick Killian?) could haver fought an effective local campaign in that area while consolidating the FF vote elsewhere.

This is not a criticism of Thomas Byrne - but he is not the superstar he thinks he is . It is a criticism of the FF handlers and perhaps adds credibility to the pre elction story that FF were looking to Mary Wallace to run. ( Personally I think Mary would have bombed big time.)
While I don't rate Byrne at all on any level, Helen McEntee was a spectacularly good candidate who would have also beaten pretty much any other candidate outside that of Byrne.

Analyzer

Who cares ?

The main thing is that he did not get elected.

Sync

I think it's an extreme case of Monday Morning quarterbacking to question it too deeply. FF moved their FPV from 20% to 32% in the course of 18 months. Byrne personally more than doubled his FPV.

They did this in an area which was dominated by the govt in 2011 (60+% FPV) and where the main opposition candidate was a member of the locally popular governing party and the daughter of a 2 time TD.

Some seats are unwinnable. This was one of them.

Rocky

Supposedly they did want to run Mary Wallace, but she rejected them and so they ran Byrne.

Helen McEntee was a spectacularly good candidate

What a stupid comment that was!Helen McEntee got elected on a sympathy vote nothing else.

the secretary

Helen McEntee was a spectacularly good candidate

What a stupid comment that was!Helen McEntee got elected on a sympathy vote nothing else.
Exactly, nothing spectacular about her. Only for the circumstances that existed, no other FG candidate only her would have won. It probably would have been Byrne that would now by the TD for Meath East

Supposedly they did want to run Mary Wallace, but she rejected them and so they ran Byrne.
Supposedly FG knew they had no chance of winning the by election with a normal joe soap candidate so they got a McEntee to run to soak up the sympathy vote.

Speaking to Mary Wallace she confirmed that story was a load of rubbish,just a ploy from FG to deflect the attention from them running a Dynasty candidate.

harshreality

Dunno about that one. I think Byrne did better than I would have expected him to do and I would expect FF will be quietly confident of gaining a seat in Meath east next time round.
He was far from hammered in the final tallies despite being part of that toxic brand.

healing hands

They did this in an area which was dominated by the govt in 2011 (60+% FPV) and where the main opposition candidate was a member of the locally popular governing party and the daughter of a 2 time TD.

Some seats are unwinnable. This was one of them.
Maybe it was unwinnable because nobody went to the bother of finding out Ms McEntee's Political views.
The last government swept in a heap of young religious right wing fundamentalists. This went completely unnoticed until after the elections. Why did no journalist or political hack try to determine the political views of the candidate that was most likely to win the election? Maybe she held similar views to her father, maybe not. I don't know if Ms. McEntee would be one of those type of candidates because there was no information on her political outlook, her policy outlook, the types of political groupings she associated with, so how could the people of Meath East make a judgement?
And if she showed very little in the way of political opinion then isn't that a story in itself?
What we saw in this election from journalists is a continuation of a worrying trend. Virtually no discussion on policy and lots on personality.
Whats her opinion on pro choice v Pro life? Whats her opinion on social welfare? Whats her opinion about the fact the under 35s have taken the vast majority of the unemployment burden etc?

greengoose2

Maybe it was unwinnable because nobody went to the bother of finding out Ms McEntee's Political views.
The last government swept in a heap of young religious right wing fundamentalists. This went completely unnoticed until after the elections. Why did no journalist or political hack try to determine the political views of the candidate that was most likely to win the election? Maybe she held similar views to her father, maybe not. I don't know if Ms. McEntee would be one of those type of candidates because there was no information on her political outlook, her policy outlook, the types of political groupings she associated with, so how could the people of Meath East make a judgement?
And if she showed very little in the way of political opinion then isn't that a story in itself?
What we saw in this election from journalists is a continuation of a worrying trend. Virtually no discussion on policy and lots on personality.
Whats her opinion on pro choice v Pro life? Whats her opinion on social welfare? Whats her opinion about the fact the under 35s have taken the vast majority of the unemployment burden etc?
You can read here some of the stuff the party has asked Ms. Mac to recite to you!

She has a lovely smile...

culmore

byrne and his leader were part of the problems of this country we cannot bring them back to solve our problems, FF need a clean sheet to start to get back

Eoin Coir

Byrne was badly damaged by being seen as Bertie's man in Meath. Poor lad was sent out to defend the indefensible in last days of last Gov. And he an estate agent to boot.

harshreality

Byrne was badly damaged by being seen as Bertie's man in Meath. Poor lad was sent out to defend the indefensible in last days of last Gov. And he an estate agent to boot.
He sure was Eoin but he did remarkably well despite all that and up against a McEntee on top of that!

PS I would like to reiterate that I hold a strong dislike for FF..............for some reason.

fgrep

Interesting thread. I dont think anyone would have beaten Helen but there was a palpable disappointment at the count among FFers when the South Meath boxes were opened.

flavirostris

Would suggest that FF are still toxic in the commuter belt around Ratoath, Dunboyne, Dunshaughlin & Ashbourne.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies