• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Meath East - Left Hand withers under Right Wing Austerity

Dublin 4

It appears that Austerity Junkies came out to gave Austericrats FG & FF a whopping 73% of Votes! :shock2:

It seems the Irish Love Affair with Austerity has reached new highs!

Labour & SF have been reduced to also-rans - so much for "the people can't take it anymore" :roll:

The people have Voted for the Auster-architects & Enforcers of Austerity!

Is this a Revolution for Austerity?

What about Gay Marriage - did it play badly for Labour - has Norris done a disservice?

The latest completed tally show she has topped the poll with 39 of the vote, ahead of her main rival, Fianna Fáil Senator Thomas Byrne, who is on 34pc. She has secured over 9,500 first preference votes. Her lead is enough to ensure that Mr Byrne will not be able to secure enough transfers to overtake her.

Helen McEntee set to become youngest female TD in the Dail - Independent.ie

Well done Helen - your Father was a sincere Gentleman & would be very proud.

Dublin 4

More than 2 Tol ;)

Astral Peaks

It appears that Austerity Junkies came out to gave Austericrats FG & FF a whopping 73% of Votes! :shock2:

Labour & SF have been reduced to also-rans - so much for "the people can't take it anymore" :roll:

What about Gay Marriage - did it play badly for Labour - has Norris done a disservice?

Ah grand, the Deefster has rediscovered the "Question Mark" key on his keyboard, all is well in the world!

Analyzer

The problem for the left wing was that the snout was eating too much for the pig to get off the ground.

And then there was plump bunny telling porkies.

Spanner Island

I'm neutral on it...
You've made some pretty major assumptions in the OP...

Do you think voters are thick?

Nobody is pro-austerity. You'd need to be an imbecile to be so...

But the anti-austerity brigade have never presented anything that is viable, let alone properly costed...

Their spokespeople are regularly torn to shreds when it comes to the numbers...

Their 'solutions' are based on fantasy, hopes, presumptions, assumptions and bullsh!t...

They are hopeless, and that's why they have failed... again...

Because most people with a brain know they're hopeless... even those who'd love to believe their fantasy land economics...

I hope Kieran Allen, Joe Higgins, Richard Boyd Barrett, Clare Daly, the SF'ers and the rest of the bullsh!tters take note... although I'm pretty sure they won't...

Voters may be p!ssed off but they don't want any government indulging in auction politics and getting us into even more debt as a result...

darkhorse

Austerity from the Right or Hypocricy from the Left
Take your choice

Dublin 4

But the anti-austerity brigade have never presented anything that is viable, let alone properly costed...

Their 'solutions' are based on fantasy, hopes, presumptions, assumptions and bullsh!t...

Because most people with a brain know they're hopeless... even those who'd love to believe their fantasy land economics...

I hope Kieran Allen, Joe Higgins, Richard Boyd Barrett, Clare Daly, the SF'ers and the rest of the bullsh!tters take note... although I'm pretty sure they won't...

Voters may be p!ssed off but they don't want any government indulging in auction politics and getting us into even more debt as a result...
You can be Pro Austerity in a "lesser of evils" type context

Mossy Heneberry

I'm actually pro-austerity because the alternative is far worse.

Being in the euro of course has made it far worse again and more deep and prolonged.

SPN

Fianna Fail on 30%+ of the vote. Yes, there are some very thick voters out there.

I am pro-austerity. We can't keep on spending more money than the economy can afford. 8 years tax take spent in 5 years is not Austerity.

Austerity is what we will get a) when the Troika money runs out, and b) when the interest rates on the €100 Billion we have borrowed over the last 5 years get to double digits.

Only an imbecile thinks it is possible to live beyond your means eternally.

And the pro-austerity brigade have not delivered austerity. Government spending is higher today than it was at the height of the lending bubble.

Pretty much the same as the Government so. They hope that "growth" and inflation will offset their borrowing frenzy. Growth is caused by an increase in bank lending - as is inflation. Bank lending and M3 are still declining as the banks deleverage the froth off their balance sheets. There will be no "growth" or inflation for a long time to come.

We've pretty much maxxed out the credit card at this stage. By the time the Troika loans run out we'll have very little wiggle room to borrow more to keep the overspending racket alive - other than to start selling off State assets.

Any assets we don't have to sell in the short term will be sold to paydown rollovers when interest rates start increasing.

Dame_Enda

We don't have Austerity. Unless German PS salaries and welfare rates - which are lower than ours - are "austere". :roll:

realistic1

38% turnout, Political ignorance is the big winner. More of the same for us plebs.

nicht besonders

Ummm... it seems to me that FF are donning their caring and sharing garb rhetorically now that they've been on opposition for 2 years, I'm not sure where they stand in relation to "Austerity" anymore...

SPN

Ummm... it seems to me that FF are donning their caring and sharing garb rhetorically now that they've been on opposition for 2 years, I'm not sure where they stand in relation to "Austerity" anymore...
The only place they stand is in relation to getting their hands back on the chequebook and their noses back in the trough.

And what are you havin' yourself?

Honecker

The turnout in that last Presidential election in Venezuela was almost 90%. But people think we have a superior democracy?