Medals for winching people aboard? Medals for saluting next....

McTell

Twitter
No
In the year of weak government, the apple 13 billion and the rio tickets sagas, it comes as no surprise that the sailors plucking immigrants out of the water just 12 miles off the Libyan coast are to be given a medal each for their efforts.

New medal announced for members of Defence Forces involved in...

Times were when we all hated fish and couldn't see the need for a sea, except as a boundary ditch, and the naval service had a few cutters and wore WW1 uniforms. Now that "we" have the biggest sea area per citizen in the EU, we need a better navy to arrest drug crims, protect fisheries, and save storm tossed ships. But in the Med? We're only there to try to impress our EU masters in a rather craven manner and improve suntans.

You are humanitarian if you go out of your way to help someone in need. You're not that humanitarian (in my book) if you're ordered to do it, are paid for your time and trouble and have a crane on the side of the ship.

Last edited:

Cellachán Chaisil

Will you get a medal for removing that crowbar from your rectum?

wombat

Its common for military medals to be issued for service in a particular area or campaign.

Polly Ticks

I have huge admiration for the people that carry out these life-saving missions.. hate the war (or ideological battle, in this case) not the soldier, as they say. The medal thing is just military tradition...am sure it doesn't cost that much and if it is good for morale.. what's the problem? They deserve a pat on the back.

Would you rather have on of those medals or a "salesperson of the month" award?

McTell

Twitter
No

McTell

Twitter
No
I have huge admiration for the people that carry out these life-saving missions.. hate the war (or ideological battle, in this case) not the soldier, as they say. The medal thing is just military tradition...am sure it doesn't cost that much and if it is good for morale.. what's the problem? They deserve a pat on the back.

Would you rather have on of those medals or a salesman of the month award?

I wouldn't mind if they were risking their lives, but they're not. The humanitarian reason doesn't make sense, if you are told to do it.

neiphin

Would you rather have on of those medals or a "salesperson of the month" award?
2000 THAILAND MEDAL KNIGHT COMMANDER NOBLE ORDER OF CROWN GENTLEMAN WITH BOX

javascript:;

irish dog

Jobs for the boys,medals for the boys and a juicy pension to top it all off.

PC Principle

In the year of weak government, the apple 13 billion and the rio tickets sagas, it comes as no surprise that the sailors plucking immigrants out of the water just 12 miles off the Libyan coast are to be given medal each for their efforts.

Times were when we all hated fish and couldn't see the need for a sea, except as a boundary ditch, and the naval service had a few cutters and wore WW1 uniforms. Now that "we" have the biggest sea area per citizen in the EU, we need a better navy to arrest drug crims, protect fisheries, and save storm tossed ships. But in the Med? We're only there to try to impress our EU masters in a rather craven manner and improve suntans.

You are humanitarian if you go out of your way to help someone in need. You're not that humanitarian (in my book) if you're ordered to do it, are paid for your time and trouble and have a crane on the side of the ship.
Typical Oireland........

I rather they did their job trying to prevent illegal drug importations. The gov gets less success there though so instead they pander to T-Shock Mekel instead for pats on the head.

firefly123

Jobs for the boys,medals for the boys and a juicy pension to top it all off.
Yeah. Soldiers are minted so they are. Driving around in their land rovers like they own the place.

Felixness

It's not the navies fault, they just do what they're told. The blame lies squarely with our government, Coveney in particular. That ****************************** was hanging out with Sutherland and all of a sudden there's an increase in the amount of ships we sent to the Med and the number of migrants we've agreed to take in Ireland jumped from 4000 to 20000.

firefly123

I can imagine most of the arm chair warriors on here would be grand fishing out the bloated corpses of children from the sea.
Regardless of the right and wrongs of the mission (and I personally believe it to be a foolish one unless people were being dropped back to Libya or wherever) the sailors engaged in it are to be commended for their work.
The usual cabbages on here don't have a clue.

Catalpast

In the year of weak government, the apple 13 billion and the rio tickets sagas, it comes as no surprise that the sailors plucking immigrants out of the water just 12 miles off the Libyan coast are to be given a medal each for their efforts.

I have said it before and I will say it again

Any person in the Defense Forces would be within their Legal Rights to refuse to serve on these operations

- which are clearly the results of criminal gangs organising boat loads of migrants to enter the EU without permission

You can refuse to 'Obey Orders' if you believe them to be for the purpose of carrying out or facilitating acts that would otherwise be considered Illegal

This was IIRC established as a principal as a result of the Nuremburg Trials after WWII

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies