Media and Justice admin. A comparison with UK

yosef shompeter

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4091346/first-pictures-celine-dookhran-murdered-dating-muslim-arab/

Some sensational news for you folks, but I don't want to start any anti immigrant or anti-muslim hate-fest here.

What struck me as odd was that (it appears) the body was found one week ago.
"The body was found on July 19"
... yet the British media have the story up and running within one week, we know the name of the victim, we know the names of the accused and we know the motive.
How is it that in this "Quiet watered land" of Ireland this sort of thing takes months, perhaps a year. The first time it gets announced in the press it so vague... somebody got killed by somebody. The press tends to say that the vicitim (or the murderer) cames from ...for example Finglas... when in reality they are from some other country entirely.
the public gets to hear the full story, if at all, about a year later when it's all forgotten about.
In a word, the Irish press are next to useless.
What is the legislation that makes them so hidebound. How is that the Brits can do things so much more promptly?

Oh yes, and then there are these public enquiries and tribunals that take years and years ... the Brits do them in weeks if not in a month or two.
What's the matter with us?

yosef shompeter

A matter that doesn't seem to reverberate much with the viewers of P.ie. It's one that drives me to exasperation. i.e. that I can buy a paper and read a report of some crime with four or five hundred words where the reporter is an expert at telling you everthing except the basics of who dunnit to who and why. How is it the Brits can be so prompt. See link above.
How is it the Irish can be so slow. Months later long after you've forgotten about it you might get the info after the court case.

Deadlock

What is the legislation that makes them so hidebound. How is that the Brits can do things so much more promptly?
I'm not sure it's legislative so much as cultural. I'd have posed a similar argument in support of the 30th Amendment - Oireachtas Inquiries.
You'll recall a gaggle of previous Attorneys General fretting over 'rights to a good name'. I'd suggest something similar paralyses the Irish Press, and impugning such is a big deal here.

In the UK, a glib apology is published in the Personals.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4091346/first-pictures-celine-dookhran-murdered-dating-muslim-arab/

Some sensational news for you folks, but I don't want to start any anti immigrant or anti-muslim hate-fest here.

What struck me as odd was that (it appears) the body was found one week ago.

... yet the British media have the story up and running within one week, we know the name of the victim, we know the names of the accused and we know the motive.
How is it that in this "Quiet watered land" of Ireland this sort of thing takes months, perhaps a year. The first time it gets announced in the press it so vague... somebody got killed by somebody. The press tends to say that the vicitim (or the murderer) cames from ...for example Finglas... when in reality they are from some other country entirely.
the public gets to hear the full story, if at all, about a year later when it's all forgotten about.
In a word, the Irish press are next to useless.

Oh yes, and then there are these public enquiries and tribunals that take years and years ... the Brits do them in weeks if not in a month or two.
What's the matter with us?
Jeez.

Public enquiries and tribunals? I'll give you two: Hillsborough and Bloody Sunday.

yosef shompeter

Jeez.

Public enquiries and tribunals? I'll give you two: Hillsborough and Bloody Sunday.
The quoted example I gave was much more hum-drum, day-to-day. It dealt with the little people and was all about an honour-killing.
Significant was that both the "Romeo" and "Juliet" were both muslims but one was an Indian Muslim and the other was an Arab muslim.
The sociological side of things might be fascinating but that's neither here nor there. The British press... The Sun, so that is the lower class variety had it all sewn up in a week. In Ireland one would just be left guessing. It would not surpise me if the Irish press would state the the murderers and victim came from the council estate where the murder took place... the equivalent of say one of Dublin's inner city estates.
But even in the matter of tribunals and public enquiries, the Brits have a much much better track record than we do.
Bloody Sunday... Well sad to say but the North of Ireland is a hot potato. In my opinion the Brits want it for defense purposes.
Hillsboro... you have a point there.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies