Media coverage of abortion in Ireland in 2017

talkingshop

Large pro-life rally opposed by small pro-choice demonstration?
That would be fairer. Or even just "large pro-life rally" and refer to the small pro-choice demonstration in the text of the article.

ellie08

There has been widespread coverage by the media in Ireland over abortion and the 8th amendment in 2016 and 2017 in the build up to a referendum.

The coverage has been been almost totally one sided (I say almost though I don't know of any media outlet that hasn't been partisan to one side - pro choice). From the Irish Times in the print media to Ireland's most popular online media outlet, thejournal.ie which has been perhaps the most proactive in supporting the pro choice movement.

The media can of course take a side, their Code of Practice allows for "the press is entitled to advocate strongly its own views on topics."

But they are also guided by other Principles:
Principle 1 − Truth and Accuracy
1.1 In reporting news and information, the press shall strive at all times for truth and accuracy.
Principle 3 − Fair Procedures and Honesty
3.1 The press shall strive at all times for fair procedures and honesty in the procuring and publishing of news and information.
Code of Practice

The Rally for Life coverage from today is interesting and I believe in breach of their Code of Practice with their widely reported headlines.

Over 70,000 people attended the rally in Dublin today, as reported by RTE and a couple of hundred people held a counter demonstration yet reading the headlines and the content of media coverage, one would be left believing this was not the case. Instead the false impression given is one where there were two equally prominent demonstrations.

RTE coverage has been fair today but it's hard not to ignore that a leading presenter at their radio station has been found by the BAI to have breached standards of fairness and impartiality in relation to abortion a number of times without any obvious sanction noted in the last two years.

Examples of the headlines/coverage are below.

The Eighth Amendment: Thousands take part in opposing rallies in Dublin | BreakingNews.ie
Eighth amendment campaigners take part in opposing rallies |...
Pro-life and pro-choice demonstrations held in Dublin · TheJournal.ie

How can the media hold organisations to account when they ignore their own code of professional practice?
\I think the media could start by not allowing that tiny group of 5 or however many there is from the Iona Institute to talk for the people on the anti abortion side. One of those lads is a lecturer in a teacher training college, BOB is a RE teacher (LOL!) Maria Steen is brought on to talk about schools when she home schools her kids and gave up her job despite costing the state a fortune training to be a barrister and an architect (I think that was her other area).

PeaceGoalie

And the presence of children on these protests is wrong, in my view. On both sides.
So the motehrs of fertile age should have left their kids at home today for the Sinn Feiners to attack?

Name just a single prominent RTE Employee who is pro life.
They are there but frightened of Sinn Fein reprisals

talkingshop

The journal v Our national broadcaster

National broadcaster leads with story about 70,000 strong march, and the usual paranoid suspects are complaining
The Journal is part of media, as is Newstalk, etc. that Ger mentioned in her OP, which is about the media, not RTE.

I see the Irish Times hasn't updated its website yet, I wonder what they will say...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/anti-abortion-rally-for-life-to-take-place-in-dublin-city-centre-1.3140573

ShoutingIsLeadership

GDPR

The Journal is part of media, as is Newstalk, etc. that Ger mentioned in her OP, which is about the media, not RTE.

I see the Irish Times hasn't updated its website yet, I wonder what they will say...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/anti-abortion-rally-for-life-to-take-place-in-dublin-city-centre-1.3140573
They won't say very much, but I predict will show a photo of some loon as being representative of the pro life rally. They do the same every time.

ne0ica

I seen it was the like the 3rd story earlier on the Pravda website. The Orish Times made no mention of it. I remember a couple of hundred at a Repeal March getting extensive coverage from the Irish Times a few months back.

GDPR

The Irish Times current lead story;

"Belfast demonstrators urge end to same-sex marriage ban"

Further down, 5 or 6 stories later they say a pro life rally is DUE to be held today.

Maybe whatsherface kitty is trying to get an acceptable (to her) headline for the actual event.

ne0ica

The Irish Times current lead story;

"Belfast demonstrators urge end to same-sex marriage ban"

Further down, 5 or 6 stories later they say a pro life rally is DUE to be held today.

Maybe whatsherface kitty is trying to get an acceptable (to her) headline for the actual event.
And the same Irish Times journos are now writing pieces how they should be funded like a public service.

ellie08

And it was reported today in the Indo she gave birth to a baby.

There is a human being alive today thanks to her "ordeal".
Why was the baby delivered at seven months though? That child has huge problems statistically if taken from the womb at the stage. The mother and her mother would have been much better served if they could have been persuaded to carry on the pregnancy to term if a termination was not allowed. Perhaps that was not possible, but if that little baby was delivered for the sake of law two months early well then that little baby has been punished by loony anti abortionists to live a life with severe difficulties. Because their only goal is that a baby is born and then it is bye -bye. It's Frankenstein stuff.

ne0ica

Why was the baby delivered at seven months though? That child has huge problems statistically if taken from the womb at the stage. The mother and her mother would have been much better served if they could have been persuaded to carry on the pregnancy to term if a termination was not allowed. Perhaps that was not possible, but if that little baby was delivered for the sake of law two months early well then that little baby has been punished by loony anti abortionists to live a life with severe difficulties. Because their only goal is that a baby is born and then it is bye -bye. It's Frankenstein stuff.
It surely is that twisted sick person like yourself is essentially arguing that baby girl alive today should be dead to suit you're pro abortion agenda.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'd say if your case depends entirely on how the media present it you are in difficulty straight away.

It wasn't the media that came up with the idea of the 8th in the first place. And from memory there was little complaint at the time over the entirely one-sided media coverage SPUC was able to arrange via RTE, the newspapers, via the pulpit and via the RCC's agents in the Oireachtas back in 1983.

I always think if a campaign has to whinge about one-sided coverage or unfair coverage it is a sign of unease that the campaign may not be going well.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies