Media Intrusion why there should be a press Council

QuietKerryman

Are there times when the media intrudes too much on a family's grief?

This morning, the Sunday Independent had a big splash on Sara Nelligan's problem with drugs. To me, this sounds like media intrusion on a family's private grief. It is hard enough for the Nelligan family to cope with the death of their beloved daughter when this happens.

The Nelligan family, on Friday, asked for privacy at this time, yet the Sunday Independent saw fit to publish this story just for the sake of selling a few more copies than their rivals.

This is not the first time the Sunday Independetn invaded a grieving family at a sensative time.

They did it before after Liam Lawlor died by saying that the female companion who he was travelling with was a prostitute, and they did it last year when they published a story about the wife of one of the Gardai who was involved in the Abbeylara siege who died in childbirth.

Sometimes, I think the Sunday Independent oversteps the mark.

jerryp

I agree with the previous posters, saw Sindo today for the first time in a long time and it was stomach -churning to read the way they exploited this tragedy, but it was not surprising .

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Agreed. I blame the influence of the British-owned tabloids.

pluralist

Par for the course for this disgusting rag.

Leopold Bloom

Yes, I agree that the Neligan piece today was grossly insensitive and intrusive. However, I'm very wary of politicians - for their own tawdry reasons - trying to gag our media. God knows, they already have RTE in their pockets and it would be a sad day if the same came to pass for our print media.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Ehmmmm it's the readers ?

They read the stuff & keep buying the papers.

Start a campaign against people buying the Sindo - shame them.

cYp

Sidewinder

Leopold Bloom said:
Yes, I agree that the Neligan piece today was grossly insensitive and intrusive. However, I'm very wary of politicians - for their own tawdry reasons - trying to gag our media. God knows, they already have RTE in their pockets and it would be a sad day if the same came to pass for our print media.
Agreed. The Sindo is an awful rag that only barbarian untermensch braindead scumbags would voluntarily read, but...

This country is completely corrupt, and we desperately need a free and unfettered press (which we most certainly do not have now!). The Indo group and RTÉ are all in the pockets of the Govt, and between the two they dominate the media.

Politicians, and party hacks, are simply using the predictable mucksavage bad taste of the Indo group as a trojan horse to convince the public to support an even tamer and more supine media that will never question the litany of dodgy treacherous grubby deals our political class routinely engage in.

Reece

FutureTaoiseach said:
Very likely, an interesting speech here from Tony Blair, journalists as a group are characterised as 'feral beasts', unthrusthworthy, grasping who would sell their own mothers to get a 'scoop', the more sh*it in the scoop the better.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/P ... Speech.pdf

Journalist - is this the worst job in the world?

belfastlad

FutureTaoiseach said:
MOPE blame everything on the Brits!.... oh wait that only counts when your a northern nationalist :lol:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies